Clear all

Is it suppose to hurt?

19 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@sob-n)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just got a Fender Stratocoustic guitar. When I play my fingers hurt when pressing on the strings. I just got the guitar today. Do you think its the strings or am I doing something wrong or does it always hurt when you are first learning.

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

If you're talking about sore fingertips, then yes, that is perfectly normal. It will take a little while until you toughen-up those fingertips till they stop hurting, just keep at it every day.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@sob-n)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Oh ok. Thanks. I was wondering if that was normal or not. I'll just got in 8 hours of practice today since I got it today. I got another question though. Is there a way I can hook my Stratocoustic guitar up to an amp. Do I need like some kind of piece of equipment or something?

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member

I got another question though. Is there a way I can hook my Stratocoustic guitar up to an amp. Do I need like some kind of piece of equipment or something?

:shock: like... an amp cord?

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

I normally get worried if my fingers aren't sore ;)

ReplyQuote
(@sob-n)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I got another question though. Is there a way I can hook my Stratocoustic guitar up to an amp. Do I need like some kind of piece of equipment or something?

But the thing is there is no outputs on the guitar. Theres only a eq preamp on the side of the guitar. It's suppose to be a acoustic/electric guitar so I woulde imagine there's someone kind of a way to hook it up to an amp andto also be able to run it through some effects pedals or something. Or maybe I'm just confused about how the whole acoustic/electric guitar thing.

ReplyQuote
(@sob-n)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

About my first question how do you think it will take before my finger don't hurt when I'm playing.

ReplyQuote
(@cudaman73)

I just joined, and haven't been playing the guitar for very long (since last christmas :P), but back when i first got my acoustic, my fingers also hurt. They hurt a lot. Both hands hurt, mainly because I was both fretting and finger picking (I didn't really get into using a pick until I bought my electric, which, in hindsight, was a big mistake, as my picking skills are still rather lacking). I'd say that after about a month or so (perhaps a month and a half) of playing, my fingers developed thick enough calluses to withstand my playing (which averages at about 1-2 hours a day where i'm just messing around. I've yet to sit down and actually think about what i'm doing. Trying to understand basic theory right now :P). Anyways, the fingers on my fretting hand also start peeling, and actually still do from time to time if I play for an extended amount of time. Not sure if that's normal, but at least I know when I've been playing for a while :P

-----
"Life isn't worth living for unless you have something worth dying for."

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

But the thing is there is no outputs on the guitar. Theres only a eq preamp on the side of the guitar. It's suppose to be a acoustic/electric guitar so I woulde imagine there's someone kind of a way to hook it up to an amp andto also be able to run it through some effects pedals or something. Or maybe I'm just confused about how the whole acoustic/electric guitar thing.

No, there's a jack there somewhere. I don't have one so I can't check but I wonder if the output jack is built into the button for the strap on the very end of the guitar. That's the way some Taylors are built. It might be true of your guitar too. Check the strap button to see if it's also a jack.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

About my first question how do you think it will take before my finger don't hurt when I'm playing.
Hard to say, everybody's different - but at least a couple of weeks to a month.

-- John

There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

ReplyQuote
(@sob-n)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Man I feel stupid. The output was kind of misleading. It is at the bottom like the taylor. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@sob-n)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok I have another question. (I decided to ask them all in one thread.)
Because my guitar is a stratocoustic does that mean when I plug it up it will sound like a strat. Or did they only name it that because it is shaped like a strat. Before anyone says something like "why don't you just plug it up" I don't have an amp yet.

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

It's not going to sound like a strat, it'll sound like an amplified acoustic. And yeah, the name comes from the shape.

-- John

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The stratacoustic has a much narrower body than a dreadnought. And the neck plays more like the neck of an electric. You really need to plug it in to get much volume. It handles more like an electric, but, as Pappa John said, it sounds like an acoustic.

There are many types of electric/acoustics out there. Mine is a regular dreadnought with a built-in pick-up. I get decent volume unplugged as well. Yours is really designed to be plugged in if you're playing in a situation where you need moderate volume.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@tamuka)
Eminent Member

SOB-N

If it's going to be a while before you get an amp, plug it into your stereo. I just plug mine into the stereo jacks where the TV/VCR output would go. You might have to get a splitter though.

The guys at Guitar Center tried hard to discourage me (it won't work, the sound quality sucks etc) but I think they just wanted me to buy an amp coz it sounds fine to me (for home purposes anyways).

Good luck

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2