Clear all

music for the newbie

21 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@summbuddy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

does anyone know a song/ or a place to find the song/ for a beginner. im tired of the practice peices that i have in my music book. ive looked everywhere and i only found difficult songs and other songs with just numbers on the staff instead of notes.

maybe ill look on this website for new songs : duh : wow what an idea!

ps. what do those numbers mean?

love summbuddy ;0)

(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

If you look down at the forum index you'll see a note called "Easy Song Database" which is an extensive collection of songs. All - as I guess you've understood - easy.

Good luck.

By the way, here's the link.

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewforum.php?f=7

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

For my 16th birthday, my dad got me my first electric guitar; second hand, off a guy he worked with. He'd obviously been talking to this guy about it (and me) for a while, cos a David Bowie songbook came "on loan" with it.

Eventually, the book went back and I had to go to the shop to get my own copy; but by then I'd learned a whole lot about playing and a whole lot of great songs, and my guitar skills had gone stratospheric by comparison to the previous two years accoustic work.

So, the moral of this tale is to get hold of a songbook by one of your favourite bands. Play the CD and follow it by reading the book. Then play the song yourself. Then put the CD in and play along. You'll never look back.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The numbers by the way are chord progressions.
This is a way of writing music without defining a certain key.
Written in roman numerals, capital letters are major chords, lower case are minor.
Pick a key you want to play the song in and using the roman numeral "I" for a major Key or "i" for a minor key.
An example:
I,iv,V
I want to play in the key of A the chords would be
I=Amajor
iv=Dminor
V=Emajor

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Misselman,

Are the numbers chord progressions or just guitar tab?

I've never seen anything like you are describing but I'm sur ethye exist.

I thought he was talking about regular guitar tab that has the fret number on the staff.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You are right Cnev, I missread his post.
I have seen a number of lyrics sheets with the chord progressions written out instead of the actual chords.
Now that I re-read his post I believe he is referring to standard TAB.

ReplyQuote
(@king-of-hearts)

where do you get song books from?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Any guitar shop or music store.
Plenty of places online as well.
Do a search for Sheet Music or Music Books
Hal Leonard has quite a large selection
Here is a place with a collection of Hal Leonard books
http://www.stagepass.com/groupartist/artist_items.hperl?Artist=Hal+Leonard+Publishing&OVRAW=hal%20leonard&OVKEY=hal%20leonard&OVMTC=standard

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

d hodges beginers songs are very good now some have mpg

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@summbuddy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanx for the reply guys. :D

how exactly do you read the "tabs" if that's what there called. can you link me to a site or something?

king.of.hearts: glad im not the only newbie around here.... i was beginning to think they didnt exist and i was some kind of freak.

which wouldn't have been all bad. after all i do eat martian meat with my breakfast cereal. :twisted:

love summbuddy ;0)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Summ,

Tab is about as easy as it gets although you still need to hear the song to get the rhythym since the tab doesn't depict it well.

Guitar looks like a regular musical staff except it has six lines each denoting a string E,A,D,G,B,E. When you see a number on it that is telling you what fret to put your finger on which string.

Sorry I had to edit this. I added an example of tab but I couldn't get it to line up correctly and it would be more confusing so I deleted it.

Maybe someone who is more fluent pasting tab in here can help.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@summbuddy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ok i think it makes sense.

each line on the staff is a string on the guitar and each number is a fret. is that it?

so when theres a number one on the top line you play E. is that how it goes?

so then i guess my problem was really just with the tempo.

now the only other problem is which line is which. is the top line of the staff the first string or the sixth?

love summbuddy ;0)

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

so when theres a number one on the top line you play E. is that how it goes?
Well, you'd be fretting the high E string at the first fret which is an F
now the only other problem is which line is which. is the top line of the staff the first string or the sixth?
The top line shown is the high E string (thinnest one), the bottom line is the low E string.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Summ,

Tab is about as easy as it gets although you still need to hear the song to get the rhythym since the tab doesn't depict it well.

Guitar looks like a regular musical staff except it has six lines each denoting a string E,A,D,G,B,E. When you see a number on it that is telling you what fret to put your finger on which string.

Sorry I had to edit this. I added an example of tab but I couldn't get it to line up correctly and it would be more confusing so I deleted it.

Maybe someone who is more fluent pasting tab in here can help.

The trick is you just have to use the "Code" tag, which is actually meant to show programming language code with standard spacing, but works equally well with tablature. It just converts everything to Courier font, which is a font where every character and space is exactly the same width.

Anyway, here we go:
C major chord in Tab:

e--0----
B--1----
G--0----
D--2----
A--3----
E--x----

C major arpeggiated in Tab:

e----------0-----
B--------1-------
G------0---------
D----2-----------
A--3-------------
E----------------

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@summbuddy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

oh doi. me stupid. of course i meant when you play first fret you get F. what i meant was the top line was E. woopsies. :oops:

thanx a lot for that image undercat that helped too. youre all great. i get it now.

thanx bunches. :P

love summbuddy ;0)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2