need some tips to leran to play decent-sounding power chords

30 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hello all

I've been playing for a couple of years or so, even if it is just a bit more than one year that I know what i'm doing on guitar :D

I have to say that after some hard work (including some metronome sessions in the last couple of months), I'm pretty satisfied in a few things like:

a) playing all kind of strumming patterns (eight and sixteen notes, syncopated ones, also some 3/4 and 6/8) and most important recognize them in the songs I listen to;
b) playing some basic arpeggios;
c) playing clear open chords (of course I have to better but I've finally start to play some clean G7 chord!);
d) improving barre chords (i'm a lot better with sixth string ones but i'm also slowly learning fifth string ones)
5) finally starting to get the grasp of palm muting and left hand chocking
6) thanks to david hodge's wonderful lessons, playing a few simple bass-lines

what I'm really missing is the ability of playing some decent power chords! I know where power chords are on the neck but when I try to play them they sound poor expecially if they're on the 5th string. I Know that I did not dedicate them so much time (compared i.e. to strummin patterns or even to barre or arpeggios) but still my inabilty it gets me quite nervous because it is severly limiting my playing. I mean I perfectly know how to play i.e. Billy'Idols "Rebel yell" (rhytmically wise) but of course using a mix of open chords and barre ones it does not have a decent sound (and also the chord changes are a lot more difficult) and the same goes for a lot of other rock and metal songs (you know where I'm coming from :D ). Maybe it depends on the fact that I'm using a classic guitar and power chords are meant to be played on eletric who knows, but I would like some tips to learn to play them decently: otherwise I'll be condemned to play just slow songs :D

Thanks in advance for every tip

Matteo

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

... maybe I'm mistaken, but by "power chords" I understand chords with no fifth, normally played with root on 6th (em shape) strumming only the strings 4-6 or root on 5th (A shape) strumming only string 3-5.

If this is the case and you play decent E barres, they should be no problem technically with the fretting hand - you dont even need to barre. It could be a problem with the strumming hand of course you need to avoid the strings you don't want to play (less you mute them otherwise)

But my guess is that you dont get the sound you like - and it is difficult to get a rock 'n roll sound of a nylon string guitar. Why don't you pay a visit to your nearest guitar shop - plug in a Les Paul, turn up some sustain and see if it sounds better 8)

dont know if it helps - good luck anyways

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

hi larsko

yes the fact is that for me It is quite difficult to play just string from 5 to 3 without hitting the 6th one. I'm playing a bit better the 6th string power chords. Another difficulty that I have is to correctly put the index on just one string (i.e. the sixth) and the ring and middle fingers on the ...may be could I play a barre with the index and another one with the ring (like in A-shape barre chords) and strum just the required strings?

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Matteo

When playing barre power chords (5 chords) with the root on the A string, it is perfectly alright to play the 6th string also as that is the 5th. It will actually make the chord sound heavier.

D Major chord at 5th fret (type A barre chord)

e------
b------
g--7p--
d--7r--
a--5i--
e--5i--

Truth is, I almost always play this chord this way, and so do many other guitarists. Just use your index to barre both the E and A strings. I actually prefer playing this chord this way as it has more power and bottom end.

As for controlling your picking, it is good to rest the side of your picking hand on the bridge or just behind it and use small picking motion. If you look at my avatar you can see I am resting my picking hand on the bridge like this. It almost feels like you are strumming with just your fingers and not your wrist or arm. Use the smallest amount of motion to just pick the strings you want to hear. It is also a very common technique to use all downstrokes, gives a very even sound. But practice alternating up and down picking as well, for some songs this sounds better, has more dynamics.

You don't have to mute a string you don't strike. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks wes

your suggestions are always enlightining: I must do a search and type ALL of your tips! I've never tought about playing sixth string together with the 5th! This way should be a lot easier to change between 6th string and 5th string power chords!

This evening i'll try it!

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

... maybe I'm mistaken, but by "power chords" I understand chords with no fifth, normally played with root on 6th (em shape) strumming only the strings 4-6 or root on 5th (A shape) strumming only string 3-5.

No, power chords do have a fifth (they are often called "5" chords, as in A5 or C5), but they don't have a third.

It is the third (3 or b3) which defines whether a card is major or minor.

Hence a power chord is neither major nor minor and can be used in place of either.

I suspect you just made a typo, but if not I wanted this to be clear.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

As for controlling your picking, it is good to rest the side of your picking hand on the bridge or just behind it and use small picking motion. If you look at my avatar you can see I am resting my picking hand on the bridge like this. It almost feels like you are strumming with just your fingers and not your wrist or arm :D

Wes how do you avoid changing the volume on your Strat with your picking hand?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@kidzer)
Eminent Member

A very good question, i've found that I need to tape my volume control when im playing some songs...its a bit of a pain!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wes how do you avoid changing the volume on your Strat with your picking hand?

Well, that's exactly what I'm talking about, I really don't move my hand that much. I do pivot off the wrist, but I almost play with my fingers moving up and down to strum. But there is some wrist movement also. I don't move that much that I hit the volume knob. And this is one secrets to playing electric guitar well. You gotta keep your hand pretty close to the strings and use small motions. You can't strum big like you do an acoustic guitar. You will hit the Volume knob on a Strat if you move your hand too much.

There are times when I strum big like an acoustic guitar, but most playing is done with very small motions. I let the side of my hand very lightly touch the bridge, gives your hand a foundation (can't think of a better word). So you are not flailing around.

You know, this is just how I play, may not work for everybody. But with electric, and especially when playing very loud, you gotta keep all your movements small. And you don't really have to use lots of attack on the strings, you have to play light. It may sound real loud, but you are not pounding on your guitar at all, just the opposite.

Look at this video to see what I am talking about. This guy can really play (better than me). But look how little he moves his hand.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qkH8TnQqbMY

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I suspect you just made a typo, but if not I wanted this to be clear.

Thanks for having confidence in me :wink: - typo - yes :oops:

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

hi all

yesterday I played a bit of power chords progressions and thanks to your suggestions it seems that I start to learn. I decide to play them with a double finger full-barre of course striking only the required strings with the pick! I'm also trying to cover also the sixth string with the index even for the 5th string p.c. as suggested by Wes as it is easier to strike 6-3 string instead of 5-3 ones

Thanks all

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

When playing barre power chords (5 chords) with the root on the A string, it is perfectly alright to play the 6th string also as that is the 5th. It will actually make the chord sound heavier.

Although this is correct and Wes gives great advice, this is an inversion of a power chord (the 5th becomes the lowest note in the chord)
When playing with a bass player this can be common, as Wes pointed out, but when playing solo, IMHO, you really notice the difference in sound.

Another way to play a standard power chord (root as bass note) and not have to be pin-point precise with your strumming is to mute the unplayed strings with your index finger.
You also need to hit the strings quite a bit harder on an acoustic to get the dynamics you are after, so pick/finger attack tends to be more aggressive than an amplified guitar.

Fretted notes in GREEN, muted notes in RED

C5

you only need to barely touch the 6th string with the tip of your finger to mute it... after a little while this becomes second nature...

G5

Power chords can still sound great on a nylon string guitar.

Peace

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi J

thanks for the suggestion...I do not know how but I've been able to make it work (or so it seems) and now my A-string power chords sounds much better!

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@lift4life03)
Eminent Member

I wanna be able to jam like that kid in the video man......he looks like he is 16!

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hello all

I revamped this old topic to tell you that, since I devoted myself to learn heavy metal guitar, I've made great progression with power chords. Following Stestina's rhyhtm book suggestions, I decided to play them with index, ring, pinky if they're three string power chords or with index and ring if they're two strings chords (sometimes index and pinky if i'm changing from sixth string root to fifth string root chords).

Anyway there are still a few chord changes that give me troubles (in the sense that I play them quite muddy) and unfortunately they're quite common ones like changing from E5 (022Xxx) to G5 (355xxx) or, worst than ever, changing from E5 (022Xxx) to Bb5 (x13xxx)!

Of course i could play them in other positions but since the suggested excercises involve very fast changing (sometimes chords last no more than a quaver which is quite a short time even at 120-130 bpm!), I really have to learn these changes with the suggested fingerings!

I tried to play the E5 with index only, a bit leaned too (not parallel to the frets) and I've noticed a bit of improvement, but i guess the key of the problem is the change in hand position which make me lose accuracy.

To avoid it I tried to play E5 with ring and pinky but still I'm not satisified...may be it is just a matter of more exercise...

any suggestions?

thanks in adavance

Matteo

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2