Notifications
Clear all

Newbie Intro

16 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@dkeenom)
Topic starter  

I have been lurking on this board and web site for about 4 weeks now.
( The same length of time that I have been trying to make music out of a guitar.) I have found the information and lessons helpful, though most over my head. Thank you for a great site.

I'm a 34 year old SWAT cop and firearms instructor who just started trying to play. I took 3 lessons in 1990 while home on leave after army basic but lost interest after getting to Germany. I still have the old Yamaha but decided to purchase a true left-handed guitar. After being screwed over on Ebay ( I got all but 25.00 refunded by Paypal) I bought a Fender Standard Strat from Musicians Friend. I only put it down when my fingers get sore.

Thanks to the advice in the AMP section, I ordered a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT this morning to replace the 1988 Fender Squire 15 that works some of the time. My next goal is to find a good instructor and learn how to play this thing. Country, 80s rock, and blues. Read music and speak “guitar” for lack of a better term.

If any of you are into firearms, tactics, and self-defense I am a moderator on http://www.getofftheX.com It is a firearms version of Guitarnoise. Everyone is welcome and it is not a buch of rednecks.

Dave Keenom - Instructor
http://www.TacticalResponse.com
Office 731-676-2041
Cell 931-320-0409

(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Dave

Welcome to GN! Glad to see another lefty out there (there are several here, including myself).
Good luck with the guitar. Persistence and a good instructor will get you on the right path. I also started later in life but I'm having a great time. Try to practice at least a little each day and have fun 8)

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN. Enjoy your stay

Firearms instructor huh. Mental note - Caution with replies :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the asylum!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Welcome to GN from one newb to another!

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, welcome!

I like to burn powder, myself.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

I have found the information and lessons helpful, though most over my head. Thank you for a great site.

Hi Dave and welcome to GN. If there is something you don't quite get to grips with post a question on the relevant forum, everyone here is cool

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@mwilliams)
Trusted Member

Dave...yet another welcome! I've only been at this 3 short months (38 years old) but I can tell you this forum is your one-stop-shop for advice and encouragement (very cool folks here!). I also bought a VOX AD30VT (using a Les Paul Standard for my electric noodling). You'll love the amp...great sound from the stock amp models and even better with some tweaking. Take care!

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Welcome aboard!

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise,
It sounds like you are on the right track and have things well in control.
If you ever have any questions please feel free to ask.

ReplyQuote
(@dkeenom)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll keep banging away.

Dave Keenom - Instructor
http://www.TacticalResponse.com
Office 731-676-2041
Cell 931-320-0409

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

welcome!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi and welcome,

I've got an amp like yours too - the Vox AD30VT. Good fun to fiddle with. :D

A couple of tips, based on my experience with it:

a) If you do play around with all the knobs (..and you will!..) and you find something you like, then it's not a bad idea to use the settings sheets that they give you in the manual to jot down all the knob positions . And maybe photocopy a few more of them before you use them all up, and then have no blanks left to copy. :cry:

A friend who is a very good guitarist (and who also has an AD30VT) spent ages figuring out the exact setting for the sound for a Mark Knopfler song, and then lost the setting he'd stored in the amp's memory. He hadn't noted the positions and, despite having a very good ear, reckons he's never quite got the sound back again... :?

b) With that many choices, it's tempting to spend more time fiddling with amp settings than actually playing the guitar. :shock: I spent hours stuffing about with all sorts of combinations until I realised I was wasting time I should have been spending on practice. Time to get back to fiddling with the amp once I've got the playing skills to match. Now I just use a couple of simple basic settings. :)

Best of luck.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Welcome Dave, I've found this site to be very friendly and useful! BTW,
I have the same amp and guitar (standard strat) combo as well.
Time to get back to fiddling with the amp once I've got the playing skills to match. Now I just use a couple of simple basic settings
When I first got the amp, I was playing around quite a bit with the settings. But since I only recently moved from an accoustic to an electric, I already have a lot of pickup/tone setting combinations on the guitar itself, so I've been lately leaving the amp at its preset "botique clean" setting.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Welcome Dave!

I used to hunt a lot when I was a kid, but do not own any firearms now (small children).

Now, I like to hit a power chord with distortion! :twisted:

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2