Notifications
Clear all

Picture of my messed up G

23 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@kankerfist)
Topic starter  

I asked a few days ago about landing an F chord and you guys helped me a ton, so I thought I'd ask about playing a G chord with the G and B strings on the fifth fret and the E string on the third. I feel like I have a mutant hand or something, because my fingers don't bend like other guitarists I've seen. Here is a picture of how my hand looks trying to play this:

And here is how some guy who I found on the internet lands the same chord:

See how my ring finger and pinky knuckles look like they are trying to avoid each other? I can't get them to lay parallel unless I use my right hand to physically adjust them. The other guy's pinky and ring finger land parallel easily in the video that picture came from. Is there an exercise or stretching routine I can do to get my fingers to land like that? Any help is appreciated!

(@margaret)
Noble Member

kf,

It looks to me from the photo like you've got your third and fourth fingers (ring and pinky) on the A and D strings, respectively, rather than the G and B strings. Maybe I'm not understanding correctly. ??

When I place my fingers on either the frets you named, or on the ones it looks like in the photo, my hand looks pretty much like yours. I don't find the position painful or that difficult, though. Maybe you're trying too hard to get the third (ring) finger exactly behind that fifth fret, and perfectly "above" the pinky?

Also, it appears from the photo that you are holding the neck of the guitar at somewhat of a downward slant. I find that on some chords it helps me to raise the neck up to reduce the weird angles I have to bend into.

I'm still a beginner, and I have rather fragile hands and fingers (easily pained and injured), but I have found that over time, some fretting positions are getting easier. Some I thought I'd never get, such as an F chord and even a couple barres, I can now manage.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I am also a relative beginner but I agree with Margaret about the angle of the neck.

Also looking at the picture it seems as if you are resting your arm on your thigh and your elbow is tucked into your side. This is a very easy position to adopt whilst sitting down but may not be the best from a playing point of view. Just a suggestion, try moving your elbow away from your body slightly and don't rest your arm on your leg. You may find it puts your wrist and hand in a better position.

I am guilty of resting my arm on my leg when sitting down and it's something that drives my guitar teacher round the twist. I try and avoid doing it but still catch myself on occaision.

Another suggestion. Try standing up with a strap on your guitar. You can then try out a variety of positions by altering the angle of the guitar and your arm/wrist position. Once you find a good position try and replicate it while you are sitting down. At least while you are standing the temptation to rest your arm on your leg is removed. One less thing to worry about.

Of course, a lot of people on here advocate standing up all the time when you are practicing. That may be worth considering too. I'm starting to stand a lot more than I used to and my arm doesn't lock into my side half as much as when I'm sitting.

Hope that helps a little.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I am guilty of resting my arm on my leg when sitting down and it's something that drives my guitar teacher round the twist. I try and avoid doing it but still catch myself on occaision.

We must have the same teacher. Mine is just about ready to go nuts from me doing that.

I agree with the others that your position might have alot to do with it.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

You might also try barring the low E and A with your index finger to help pull your hand down into position, it might not feel as "klenchy". :D

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

good lord! what chord are you trying to make? that is not a G chord; barre or open.

my G barre chord :
lay the index finger across all the strings at the third fret.
ring finger goes to A string fret 5
pinky goes to D string fret 5
middle finger goes to G string fret 4.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

good lord! what chord are you trying to make? that is not a G chord; barre or open.

my G barre chord :
lay the index finger across all the strings at the third fret.
ring finger goes to A string fret 5
pinky goes to D string fret 5
middle finger goes to G string fret 4.

That's what I think too and it looks like the pic you are trying to emulate does the same

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

dogbite, thats exactly what I was thinking when I saw the picture.

Looks painful

Just out of curiosity, can you play the normal open G chord?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

As Chuckster suggested, using a strap is very important, whether it's an electric or an acoustic guitar.

When I was starting out I didn't think I needed a strap since I was sitting with the guitar. Then I noticed one of my books said to always use a strap, even while sitting, and I was surprised at the immediate difference it made for me.

Using a well-adjusted, comfortable strap frees you from any need to balance or clutch the guitar. This in turn lets your arms and hands be more mobile and free-moving.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Dog and Jim are correct. The picture you are trying to copy is of someone performing a G barre chord. Follow Dog's finger placement and you will have it. If you are that far off trying to learn chords, I suggest you find a local teacher, who can assist you with it - you will progress much faster - and safer! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Img of a Proper G Chord :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the nice picture above is the open G position for all you beginners.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

As far as I can make out, you're fingering the low E on the 3rd fret (G), 5/5 (D) and 4/5 (G) - that's a G5 or G power chord. An easier way to play it, is by fretting the low E, 3rd fret (6/3 - G) with the index finger. Use either the ring or little finger to barre the A and D strings, at the 5th fret.
A "real" G chord is as shown above.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Your problem is poor technique regardless of what chord you are playing. Look at your wrist and how bent it is. That is not only poor technique, in time it could lead to actual physical injury. Now look the picture you included in your post. Note that that player's wrist is straight. That is proper technique.

Now, there are some chords where you cannot help bend your wrist some. But take note of it and try to eliminate it as much as possible.

The reason your wrist is bent is because you are holding the guitar too low and angling the neck downward. Try holding the guitar higher and angling the neck up at about a 45 degree angle.

This will help a lot. Barre chords down near the nut especially make the wrist bend, but pay attention to it and try to keep it to a minimum.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

First of all it looks like your playing it on the 5th fret, the G is played on the 3rd fret. Yes follow Wes's instructions and lift the neck.

Suggestion. Start by placing your pinky(or ring) on the high E string(the smallest string) and just strum the bottom 3 strings.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2