Clear all

Steelstringed guitar

16 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@cubone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing for about a year now. From the beginning I wanted to play an acoustic steelstringed guitar becouse I love the sound. But since I got my first guitar for free by my uncle (nylonstrings) I decided to play that until I was sure that guitarplaying was for me.
Yesterday I checked out some some steelstringed guitars in the a few stores and decided that it was defenetly what I want to play. I live in sweden and its about time to get my taxrefound, about $400, and I will use the money to buy my first steelstringed guitar.

Finaly the questions, what should I buy for my money. I understand that solid guitars have a generally better sound than laminated guitars, but they are also more fragile and senestive to dry air. So what should I try to find for my amount of money, solid or laminated? And should I get a new guitar or try to find a used guitar?

What I do now is that I dont need a microphone in the guitar and Ive decided that I rather use the money that a mic in the guitar costs to get a better guitar.

English is not my first language so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

solid top is what you are after. They aren't that fragile. As long as you don't leave them in cars in the summer, in front of the dry air blowing in the winter, and use your common sense, (if it's uncomfortable for you, don't leave your guitar in it), then you should be fine.

ReplyQuote
(@cubone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've played around a bit in the stores but I cant seem to hear the differance. But maybe as I get more advanced I will appriciate a solid top more. I also heard that a solid top gets a richer sound when it ages, is this true?

English is not my first language so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

yes it is.

You should check out my article on buying used.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=418

Heck you can even buy my used 1992 solid top Washburn D25S/N with upgraded bone saddle in the swap meet section.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have 2 acostics myself. One is laminate the other is solid Cedar top and solid mahogany back and sides and by far the solid wood guitar has a better sound.
Don't get me wrong, the laminate does have a nice sound and I am perfectly happy with it.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Yeah, I dont think youll get solid back and sides for that but defintly go with the solid top. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You can get awfully close.

The Blueridge series is solid top and back for about $450

Washburn has the WD32SW all solid wood for about $400

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a couple that just over $225.00 here in the states.

Fender DG-22S, Fender DG8, Washburn D10S, Epiphone AJ200S,

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Those are solid top with laminate back and sides.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

^I'm going with your advice, you said that solid back/sides don't matter that much. IMHO, according to your advice, I'd rather get a solid top guitar with better construction than an all solid wood guitar with worse construction. BTW you might be able to get a Seagull for that, but I dont know what shipping is to sweeden. Seagulls are exellent guitars for the money, I have one and have had know urge to buy another acoustic besides a 12-stringer, which may be Seagull. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

You can get awfully close.

The Blueridge series is solid top and back for about $450

Washburn has the WD32SW all solid wood for about $400

The washburn WD32SW is a great guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Did I say that?

I think solid back and sides matter very little.

ReplyQuote
(@cubone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thx for your great answers, now I'm more confused than ever :D

I was playing around with a Fender that I liked but I cant remember the model. Have to go back to the store and check it out again.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Cubone
Se that you are also from Sweden.
I have a Tanglewood TW28ST USA that I am very satisfied with.
It´s 6-string Dreadnought copy of a Martin D28 with solid spruce top.
I bought at http://www.jam.se/ for less than 2000 swedish krona.
You can read more about Tanglewood guitars here http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/default.asp?cID=47

I have compared the sound of my guitar with a real Martin 28 and can´t really find a big difference.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Did I say that?

I think solid back and sides matter very little.

Oops.. sorry.. :oops:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2