Notifications
Clear all

strat pickup alignment

18 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@jookbox)
Topic starter  

hello, love the site! i started working for a major music retailer. i'm a drummer, but with my employee discount i think it will be worthwhile to get a nice guitar. i've never owned a guitar but played enough to know barre chords and stuff.

i decided i wanted a strat and was wondering why the pickup near the bridge is crooked. it was always sometihng in the back of my mind. i know it has to do with sound, but it's interesting that its always at that same angle, no matter what strat. (except for the humbucker ones)

(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

i honestly don't really know. might be cosmetic? also could have something to do with wiring or polarity or something? i've always kind of wondered the same thing. can you imagine what a strat would look like if all three pickups were straight? it'd look weird

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

hello, love the site! i started working for a major music retailer. i'm a drummer, but with my employee discount i think it will be worthwhile to get a nice guitar. i've never owned a guitar but played enough to know barre chords and stuff.That's pretty good. I own several guitars, and I don't know a dang thang about barre chords. :lol:
Welcome to GuitarNoise, anyway.
i decided i wanted a strat and was wondering why the pickup near the bridge is crooked. it was always sometihng in the back of my mind. i know it has to do with sound, but it's interesting that its always at that same angle, no matter what strat. (except for the humbucker ones)Telecasters are made the same way, and maybe some other styles, too. It has to do with harmonics changing as the string is picked closer to or further away from the bridge.
Serious Scientific Explanation here: http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/pick-pos.htm .

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

There's not much string movement next to the bridge so to enhance the signal it's put at an angle.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

There's not much string movement next to the bridge so to enhance the signal it's put at an angle.

Not really. Doug C is correct.

It does not enhance the output to move part of a pup closer to the bridge (slant it) -- if that's what you mean. What it actually does is change the harmonic to fundamental balance in the pup's output. Closer the bridge has less fundamental amplitude and, therefore, relatively more pronounced harmonics. So if the (entire) pup is placed closer to the bridge, the timbre becomes tinnier. For a slant pup: If one thinks of the D and G as the central point in the pup's distance from the bridge, then the slant (as done on Strat and Tele) helps emphasize high (e and B) strings' "bite" and low (E and A) strings' "bottom." All in a manner relative to the timbres of the D and G strings, of course.

Bridge pups are often wound hotter (more turns) to boost signal level and compensate for the lower string amplitude (peak-to-peak vibrational distance).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

ahhh. i think i understand. great explanation!

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

" to boost signal level and compensate for the lower string amplitude (peak-to-peak vibrational distance).

That's what I meant by enhance.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@jookbox)
Topic starter  

thanks for the replies! this guitar forum is the coolest i've found so far.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

thanks for the replies! this guitar forum is the coolest i've found so far.Ain't it, though? And not only can you get good answers, but it's very civilized. (Notice how nobody's told any drummer jokes yet? :wink: )
This forum is definitely among my Top Three favorites.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Learn something new every day. Now would powerchords with od/distortion take on a different sound on a guitar with that slant pickup?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Notice how nobody's told any drummer jokes yet? :wink:...that particular problem can easily be remedied... :shock:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Learn something new every day.Yeah, I consider a day wasted unless I learn something. (Even better if I don't break anything or get yelled at before the lesson sinks in. :wink: )
Now would powerchords with od/distortion take on a different sound on a guitar with that slant pickup?I think so, but then again, I think the various differences in each guitar's size/shape/materials etc. are going to have an effect, too. It might all be so subtle that none of us could tell during the proverbial "double-blind test." Unless we knew just what guitar Clapton was using at the time a certain song was released, could any of us really tell if he was playing it on an LP or on a Strat? I don't think I could tell, but maybe others can. (Okay, "Strat quack" is kinda obvious, but other than that? :roll: )

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Notice how nobody's told any drummer jokes yet? :wink:...that particular problem can easily be remedied... :shock:I have a bunch of 'em, and could look up some more online, but I usually don't let loose unless the drummer starts it. :lol:
And he's putting in good effort. I mean, he already knows something about barre chords, while I've avoided them for the past umpty years. He's got potential! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

*bites tongue* :D

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@jookbox)
Topic starter  

actually i never considered barre chords very difficult. switching between open chords continues to be a problem for me.

and yeah as far as drumming i DO have a tune in my head when i practice. i change for choruses, bridges, etc... i also like to imagine a 12 bar blues when i drum and play accordingly. but the drummer jokes, i've heard them all don't worry about it :oops: :)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2