Skip to content
strumming AND singi...

Notifications
Clear all

strumming AND singing - you gotta help me...

31 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@amira)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi - I just posted this exact same post in the newbie forum but then I saw this... so forgive me :wink:

OK... my name's Amira. I'm English and I've only just started playing acoustic guitar. I'm hoping to be able to play folk, pop, rock, blues etc. So far I think I'm doing really well, I've learned a few chords and strumming patterns, my fingers are killing me and I can sing and play "these boots are made for walking" really badly

OK so here's the rub (possibly an English expression? - it means the problem). I don't seem to have a problem picking up a strumming pattern or too much of a problem making the transition between chords but if i try to sing as well I completely loose the strumming pattern - like my brain just can't do strumming a pattern (just plain up and down is fine) AND sing

Any hints or tips?

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Probably not what you want to hear but.....Wait for it.....Practice. Yeah I couldn't sing and play very well at first but after 3 years I'mm getting a handle on it. I also find it easier to learn lyrics and chords at the same time so I don't have a set strum pattern and trying to make the lyrics fit. Try a little everyday and you'll eventually get it.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@amira)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

no thats great!

exactly what i DO want to hear... i was really disheartened today when a good friend of mine (professional musician) just casually said... "oh yeah... some people just never get it..." :cry: :cry: :cry:

so... i'll keep on at it and try what you suggest too... thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Suh-looooow down

Go as slowly as you have to to get words and strum together. Even if it's a syllable at a time.

Now that you know where the notes match the strums, write it out on a piece of paper.

Read, if I only had another brain on the singing page. That should help.

Brilliant author. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Give this video a try.

http://www.acousticplayermagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4103

scroll down and click on this video, I think it is a great starting point for singing.

"click to play a video of LB showing a few ways to play and sing it"

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@amira)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Suh-looooow down

Go as slowly as you have to to get words and strum together. Even if it's a syllable at a time.

Now that you know where the notes match the strums, write it out on a piece of paper.

Read, if I only had another brain on the singing page. That should help.

Brilliant author. :lol:
and if i had a brain i'd be able to find the thread... :cry: can you link it to a reply here?

Give this video a try.

http://www.acousticplayermagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4103

scroll down and click on this video, I think it is a great starting point for singing.

"click to play a video of LB showing a few ways to play and sing it"
oh that's a great video... i've always wondered how some guitarists get that sort of pick/strum pattern too... reminds me of holly golightly's style which i love... (sorry i'm very new at playing so everything is a revelation at the moment :wink: )

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

There is so much more to guitarnoise than just the forum. :D

https://www.guitarnoise.com/singing.php

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Another Brit, welcome to GN Amira.....

what I usually do is break a song down into two parts - guitar and vocal.....I practise the guitar until I've got the pattern embedded into my consciouscness (subconsciousness?) well anyway till it's second nature.....then I try singing over it.....

sometimes, I'll record the guitar, then play it back and sing over it....whilst I'm doing that, I'll try and replicate the original guitar track....that way it's easy to spot your mistakes.....I play it back through headphones, with the vol fairly low....

some songs, I've given up as impossible - the needle and the damage done is one such song....

you know the old gag about rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time? if you try to start both at the same time, it's difficult....but if you start patting your head first, you get in a rhythm and then it's easy to rub your belly.....

but like Art&Lutherie said, practise.................then practise some more......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Boy am I seeing doubledouble a lot today.

Can't be the meds. Haven't had any yet.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

OK... my name's Amira. I'm English

OK. I'll try and not hold that against you :)..

Joking aside.. It's hard to sing and play at the same time. When I attempt to do the same I try to practice just strumming for a while until I'm playing very comfortably and without feeling any stress. Sorta like that point where your hands are doing the work without thinking, like riding a donkey that has travelled the same path a million times.

Then comes the singing. It helps to have sung along the song many times before to get the timing and the feel etc.

Even then, I find myself unconsciously switching to a simpler strumming pattern which allows me to pay more attention to the singing. Maybe that might help you too. Honestly if you do half a decent job singing, then you can use the guitar as something that supports your singing and don't have to worry about playing everything 100%. (and I do a quarter decent job of singing and playing myself) There are even people who play for a little bit, stop playing, sing for a little bit, stop, play for a little bit and repeat. ( When I say people I mean people like BB King). So I guess it comes down to figuring out what works for you. I'm sure as time passes and you practice you'll be able to play great and sing great at the same time.

Post a recording if you have one. We're always looking to hear other users' stuff.

oktay

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Amira

I posted a response in your other thread but I think "Some people never get it" is rubbish (To borrow anothers cultural phrase). If they dont get it, then its cause they dont practice it (Either enough or properly)

Keep at IT!! You'll get it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I posted a response in your other thread but I think "Some people never get it" is rubbish

I totally agree

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@amira)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I posted a response in your other thread but I think "Some people never get it" is rubbish

I totally agree

Amira

I posted a response in your other thread but I think "Some people never get it" is rubbish (To borrow anothers cultural phrase). If they dont get it, then its cause they dont practice it (Either enough or properly)

Keep at IT!! You'll get it.

Geoo

thanks guys! you've given me hope. :D

perhaps i should post the song i'm trying to learn and you can road test it for me and let me know if you think its too hard for a beginner?

I'll have a go when i get a chance...

ReplyQuote
(@amira)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ah here it is... what do you think... too hard for a beginner or ok?

As i said... i can play the chords, sing the song, strum the song... but i cant sing and strum... i tend to loose it after the first few words...

Corrina Corrina

maybe i'm being too ambitious... i've only been playing about 3 weeks :D although i did manage an ok version of Jolene last night... with a bit of a gap between chord changes. :wink:

oh and nick i read you're article on singing... very useful thanks... oh and great dinosaur analogy. :D i'm just so glad i didnt decide to play drums!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Thats a perfect song to start out on. Just dont get frustrated before learning it. Slow it way down and keep at it til you get it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3