Clear all

Techniques for memorizing songs?

18 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a lot of trouble memorizing tablature. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can remember it better?

Thanks

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

It depends on how you learn and how much you already know I think; Personally I don't learn the TAB for a song, I use it to find out what chords to play in what order and then learn the song by playing along with it.

So my advice is to play along with the song using the TAB to see which chords to play, do it a few times and then try to play along without the TAB, using the chords you know and how you know the song should 'sound' to guide you.

Bottom line: Practice. over and over and over again!

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

thats the best way imho 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, but it does me no good when I don't have the song to listen to. This isn't internet tab, I'm talking about magazines and books. All the timing information is there.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I don't understand so well the problem. Do you mean you are not able to figure out the info in the tablature or partiture when you don't know the song? If so you must read and use the info on timing for notes and silences and practice. The use of a metronome can help.

Sometimes the use of programs as sequencers or programs in which you can write in some music notation and convert that info in sounds (for example, MIDI) are helpful. Sometimes I use Melody Assistant and some time ago Noteworthy.

If the problem is to remember the chord or note sequence, the previous answer are the best advice :)

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

If the problem is to remember the chord or note sequence, the previous answer are the best advice :)

That's the problem.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

That's the problem.

Divide the song in parts and practice :)

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

That's the problem.

Divide the song in parts and practice :)

Good advice Nuno. Repitition is the best way IMO to memorize a song. Breaking it down into sections makes the process easier.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I agree with the others about not looking at the music when trying to memorize it. Play what you know, slow enough that its not difficult to make the changes and when you get to a point that you dont know.. then look at it.. Start the song over and try to get past the point.. when you hit another tough spot. stop and look at it.. Rinse and repeat.

I used to have the same problem you describe but when I quit relying on having the music in front of me, I learned it alot faster.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Neztok,

Aint that the truth, I've spend so much time playing songs over and over to get them down and then when I get it really close..I am so sick of the song I don't want to hear or play it anymore.

this guitar thing is ruining my love of music.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Most songs contain only 3 or 4 sections, which are repeated. Look for the repetitions and learn the blocks.
Many songs vary a section very slightly, each time it's played - just learn the basic block at first and make changes once you have learnt the whole song.

Look at David's lesson on House of the Rising Sun . there are 3 definite blocks. Take each, individually, and learn it. Makes life so much easier.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I also memorize tunes in blocks. Many songs have just two (verse, chorus); some have more (intro, bridge, outro, alternate verse form, etc)

After I've identified the parts, the next thing I do is ask "what's this like?". Songs aren't usually radically unique, especially if you're learning pop music - a tune like "La Bamba" is very similar to a tune like "Good Lovin". More tunes than I can count have a blues structure. So you'll find the more tunes you know, the faster it will be to learn more tunes.

One last thing - learn the music, not the tab or notes. Right now I'm working on memorizing two pieces of classical music, and I know I won't be able to play them until I know exactly what they sound like - so I'm listening to them over and over (and over and over). Then relate the sounds to the fretboard... you'll be a better guitarist for it.

Besides, if you try to memorize the tab it would be kinda like memorizing the phone book: lotsa numbers. :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

One last thing - learn the music, not the tab or notes. Right now I'm working on memorizing two pieces of classical music, and I know I won't be able to play them until I know exactly what they sound like - so I'm listening to them over and over (and over and over). Then relate the sounds to the fretboard... you'll be a better guitarist for it.

Besides, if you try to memorize the tab it would be kinda like memorizing the phone book: lotsa numbers. :)

great advice noteboat......our ears are the best tools in the world for learning music....they just need to be trusted more :?

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

learning in blocks is a good way to learn and I agree that when your talking strictly rhythm then yes you usaully have a verse, chorues, bridge etc., but when your learning long leads I don't find that many sections are that "similar" to others and the only way I can do is to take a couple measures at a time until I have memorized the notes/sounds, really more notes than sounds and then try and put it together.

If I had a great ear then it would be nice to try and internalize the sounds I'm playing and relate them to the fretboard but I'm not there yet although I've seen some small breakthroughs lately.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Just listen to the song, get the album and listen to it. As soon as you can whistle along to the record you can start the guitar part. No point in learning tab bit by bit if you don't get the structure of the song. For solo's always make sure know what the rest of the band is doing at the time so you can freewheel if you'd want. If you don't and directly start learning the first few notes you'll sound like a poorly programmed robot who stumbles blindly through a piece with no real understanding. That's not music, it's sound (;)).

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2