Skip to content
What was one of the...

Notifications
Clear all

What was one of the First songs you learned?

31 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Take me home Country Roads - John Denver.

A recorded version of it lies on my soundpage.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi :D
I'm back.

House of the Rising Sun - wow.
I had forgotten all about that song.
It was one of the first things I learned.
And I remember having to turn down my guitar and strum through the chords to get my muscle
memory working on the chord pattern when I played that in the old days with the band.
Ahhh, to be a teenager again :)

As far as Twinkle Twinkle, and Mary Had a Little Lamb -
I never did learn anything like that.
I did start out playing guitar when I was around 9-10 or so with those songs, and being taught how to read actual music.
I really didn't mesh with that teacher though, and quit until I picked the guitar up again at 18.

Now, I can't read music and really wish I could.
And all those one line melodies would also be a TREMENDOUS help in soloing.

I remember hearing The Chambers Brothers do a live version of Time Has Come Today, and in the middle of the solo,
all of a sudden, there was a single line melody thrown in. I think it was from Little Drummer Boy or something.
(Too long ago to remember exactly)
It was cool though to hear a familiar melody in the middle of all of what was going on in that song.
Brings a smile to the face.

And in Sunshine of Your Love - also an early song - once you get past the riffs and learn the solo, Clapton starts that solo
out with the melody line from Blue Moon.
Kind of a neat little devise to get the listener's attention on a familliar groove.

And like I said, I went thru the Neil Young song book early on.
I learned After the Goldrush long ago....
Looking at the GN intermediate song lessons, the Great David Hodge has us put the melody line in there after the second
verse.
Which is what happens in the song, only with a horn doing it.
Had I been able to read music, I would've been doing that all along.
If I had known how to come up with melody lines because I had taken the time to learn all those little kids songs,
I would have been doing it all along.

So now, here I am pushing 40, having been playing for around 20 years.... Does anybody have the TAB to Twinkle Twinkle
Little Star????

Ken :wink:

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

My very first song was House of the Rising Sun. My high-school buddy and best friend was taking lessons. I used to ask him to show me how to play and he taught me this song. Everytime I went to his house I would play this song and ask him to show me more, but he really didn't know any other songs and had very little interest in guitar. So one day I asked him to sell me his guitar and he did. It was an old beat up no-name acoustic with action about 1/2 inch off the fretboard. That is not much of an exaggeration, it was really horrible. But being the stubborn guy I was I practiced on that guitar till my fingers bled.

About a month later a friend and I travelled to California and I took the guitar along. One day I heard The Ballad of John and Yoko by John Lennon (The Beatles). I loved the bass line in that song and sat down and figured it out by ear. So really, this was the first song I ever learned on my own. :D

I still love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t3oaPNJieg

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

John Sebastian's "Nashville Cats"

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

House of the rising sun. Followd by "Proud Mary", "Hang on Sloopy", and "Don't bogart that Joint my friend"(from the Easy Rider sound track) ...Oh yea, "Be My Lover"(Alice Cooper)

God I loved the 70's :D 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

LOL!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'Dog - Now that you mention it, I can really hear that "Fraternity of Man" influence in your stuff. :D :lol: :D

That was a GREAT soundtrack.
I used to have a paperback book that I stole from my dad that had the script from Easy Rider in it, along with
interviews from Hopper, Fonda, Nicholson, and Terry Southern.

That book, along with his original copy of Hunter S.'s Hells Angels did a fine job of corrupting my 14 year old mind.
:twisted:

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

Mine was "Happy Birthday" cos I wanted to learn it in time for my son's birthday ... he's 21 now and I still haven't played it for him. Still it's his birthday tomorrow so maybe I'll get the chance. God knows I should be good - I've had almost 20 years to practice!

D

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

LOL!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'Dog - Now that you mention it, I can really hear that "Fraternity of Man" influence in your stuff. :D :lol: :D

That was a GREAT soundtrack.
I used to have a paperback book that I stole from my dad that had the script from Easy Rider in it, along with
interviews from Hopper, Fonda, Nicholson, and Terry Southern.

That book, along with his original copy of Hunter S.'s Hells Angels did a fine job of corrupting my 14 year old mind.
:twisted:

LOL- My young mind was corrupted by the likes of Tom Wolfe's The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test and Ken Keseys Merry pranksters :oops:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

'Dog -

Well, I had to take the long way around :wink: - not a bad thing by any means.

I read HST at 14, then got into the Doors (again, thankx to raiding my dads record collection :D )

Bought the book No One Here Gets Out Alive.

Was so taken by JM that I saved up all of my teen money to buy EVERY book that was listed in there that he read.
Which led me to Kerouac.
Which led me to Ken Kesey and Tom Wolfe's EKAT. (Which made a perfect circle back to HST's Hells Angels, as they both
share the Hells Angels incident at Kesey's place in (La Honda????) )

Love Tom Wolfe - especially the Right Stuff (I always wanted to be an Astronaut :shock: )

And, I was so very lucky enough to have met Ken Kesey on the North Side of Chicago at a book signing.
He was on his way to the R&R hall of fame with the 'FAKE' Furthur Bus. (Never Trust A Prankster :twisted: :D )
Met Babbs and Mountain Girl and a few others as well.

I Knew we had more than just names in common 8)

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
 drk
(@drk)

"Imagine", John Lennon. Only has one barre chord, Fmaj, that almost made me cry. Donald

ReplyQuote
 drk
(@drk)

oops

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

House of the Rising Sun and Venus.

No, I'm not spacey....I don't think... :?

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

First song, "Prayer to God" by Shellac...a very twisted song(but so am I) not for the faint of heart as it uses some profanity.

It's basically a song about a guy who got dumped by his girlfriend who is now with another guy and it's his response to what he'd like to see happen to them.

I still play it with our jam group on Friday's. Love to crank it up and really belt it out.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@scott58)
Trusted Member

National anthem. When I got all my stuff home and plugged it in the first thing I found was a great hendrix sound. had to go with the national anthem from there.

Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean 79 ML (silverBurst) Dean 79 ML Arctic White
Dean V-Wing Dove
Wampler SuperPlextortion - Skreddy Lunar Module
Peavey Transtube 110 EFX - Vox DA20 - Valve Jr Head/Cab
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
H2O Chorus/Echo

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

House Of The Rising Sun seems quite popular - and yes, it was an early song I learned to play. In fact it was responsible for me learning the C and F chords - I HAD to master that song! It also teaches you arpeggiation and - would you call it a walking bass line? - well, at least it taught me about root bass notes.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3