Whats next for me....

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi there,

I am a new guitar learner for about one and a half mth now...i started on May 5th last mth, dats the day when i get my Takamine guitar for about $250 Singapore dollars. Its an acoustic, Nex cutaway :)

Everyday after work, i usually learn about 2hrs on average. I started off by learning basic guitar theory from reading through the net, and watching and listening how they play on U tube. I learn chords like C,A,G,E,D,F, the minors too, a few 7 chords like G7, D7, C7, A7, E7... and also movable chords like F, G, A, B, as well as the movable minors, 7th, sharps, and minor7. If i were to play the G, D, Em, and C chords, i could play them well enough not to see the freting hands, but i will get the wrong fingering or a few buzzes here and there mayb out 15/20 times. the strumming hand fair slightly better, wit a few diff strumming patterns i had learnt.

i tried different types of strings to see wat are the ones that are suitable for me, Daddario, dean markey, ernie ball, Ghs, even till now i am still trying...lol...:)

I think a gauge 10 sounds softer and sweeter for me. Its also easier to fret and play. No doubt the 12s & 13s has fuller bodied sound, its harder for me to play.

I wanted to start learning scales, and tried the minor pentatonic, C scales, only 1 position. In theory i am still quite confuse... dats why i didnt learn more...afraid that i would learn the wrong thing.

I tried gg to the library to borrow guitar books, and a few Dvds to learn as well. I learnt a few finger picking patterns, and realised that i prefer to finger pick than to flat pick. i learnt how to strum using thumb and index finger, and follows the P, I, M, A rules.

The songs i had already memorised, and can play fairly well ( now is just the speed and rythmn ) are, Silent night, Everybody hurts, Wonderful tonight, Stand by me, Amazing grace (simple melody), Hotel california (fingerstyle & strumming), House of the rising sun, IF - Bread....

The songs i am learning are, More than words (chords), Tears in heaven (tabs), While my guitar gently weeps ( chords ) etc etc...

I dont have have a guitar teacher, and i learn only through the net, books, and Dvds... None of my friend play the guitar, and i intend to get a teacher only mayb after next year.

So, right now, whats next for me? I feel that progess is a little slow, and duno what to learn or how to progress to make it faster. I even dreamt of getting a 2nd guitar (big baby Taylor) lol. But judging on my budget and skills, i think it would be wiser if i can be better skill-wise and financially first... :lol:

Rgds,
Kenny

I fell in luv wit my G440C Takamine~ :)

(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

You have been playing only 1 1/2 months, and you can do all of that, and you think progress is slow? Whoa! You are waaaaaaay ahead of where I was at that time. Just have fun with it - learn more songs or make some of your own up...thats the whole point of playing guitar, right? Enjoy :)

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

You're doing fine right now. You're learning songs that you like to play and your beginning to study some theory. If you're confused on anything you might try asking here and see if someone can explain it better. But great job during the last month and a half.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

For the amount of time that you've been playing you have covered a lot of territory. You've got quite an impressive arsenal built up, maybe its time to concentrate on quality and not quantity. Practice your chord changes, so you can get them down pat. If I could know only one scale it would be the G major pentatonic, remember you can moved scales up the neck to play in differant keys.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Relax, it isn't a race :P

I've been learning for a year and a half, and you're got more full songs down that I have.
And more chords too. I still haven't got my hands to consistently play barre chords in more than a few positions.
So, right now, whats next for me?
Have fun with it.
duno what to learn or how to progress to make it faster.
Keep practicing. (you may hear that somewhere else) :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@niiickmuse)

You've progressed a LOTTT faster than me when I first started. You should be very proud of yourself. I definitely agree with the others, take a look at the tabs for some of your favorite songs and learn them, enjoy yourself. Don't forget to keep learning!

ReplyQuote
(@wylesmyde)
Estimable Member

+1 on the others' comments. You are smokin' through some things that are really tough for many people. Congratulations on the progress so far!!

:)

ReplyQuote
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member

Holy Cow.... if you keep it up, you'll probably be the next Jimmi Hendrix within about 2 years. lol

I've been playing for 3.5 months and you are quite a bit ahead of me.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ask yourself why you picked up the guitar, and then work towards that. It's that simple really. You want to learn a specific song? Try it. You want to improvise solos? Start practicing scales and techniques like bends, slides and hammers. You want to write your own songs? Start doing that from this very day. We cant look in your head and nobody travels the same roads in Guitarland. Make sure you're having fun and all will be well. :)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Ask yourself why you picked up the guitar, and then work towards that. It's that simple really. You want to learn a specific song? Try it. You want to improvise solos? Start practicing scales and techniques like bends, slides and hammers. You want to write your own songs? Start doing that from this very day. We cant look in your head and nobody travels the same roads in Guitarland. Make sure you're having fun and all will be well. :)
Great post.

He's right. Just learn what you want to learn. Keep it up, you're doing good.

ReplyQuote
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advises. I dont need i am still good enough. i am still struggling with all the movable chords, many songs in the easy song thread i could only pick the easiest to learn.

Thanks for the encouragement again.

Cheers.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advises. I dont need i am still good enough. i am still struggling with all the movable chords, many songs in the easy song thread i could only pick the easiest to learn.

Thanks for the encouragement again.

Cheers.
That's interesting. For me movable chords are easiest.

Good luck though. :)

ReplyQuote
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

well, for me i guess my middle, fourth and pinkie are not nimble enough when switching chords. i have to keep an eye on my index too (see if i am barring properly)
as well as the rest of the fingers.

other than practice, is there a faster way to switch chords faster when doing barre chords?

rgds
Kenny

ReplyQuote
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member

Hi kenllh, I haven't been playing long myself, roughly just over a year. Though like the majority have said you have been progressing very quickly. I would take time now to perfect what you have learned rather than to move straight onto something new. Practice over and over again the things you find difficult to do, try some finger excersises to build up their strength.

ReplyQuote
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi kenllh, I haven't been playing long myself, roughly just over a year. Though like the majority have said you have been progressing very quickly. I would take time now to perfect what you have learned rather than to move straight onto something new. Practice over and over again the things you find difficult to do, try some finger excersises to build up their strength.

Ok Kris, advise noted. :)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2