Skip to content
which is best to ge...

Notifications
Clear all

which is best to get lessons on - electric or acoustic?

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi guys

this summer im finally going to bite the bullet and fork out for guitar lessons. i wanted to know whether anyone thinks its more beneficial to learn on an acoustic or electric ?

i play both electric at the minute, but im more of a rythm player and im buying an acoustic because they're much simplier to play in front of friends anywhere you go.

the only reason im asking is because i think its much easier to play electric so by my thinking that makes acoustic the way to go for lessons?

any thoughts/comments appreciated

mord

This is my signature. Fear it.

(@shibby)
Estimable Member

I think you should decide what you learn more on your electric or your acoustic.

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

you're right, shibby i really should. however since i will only be able to afford lessons for the summer, i really want to learn on the instrument that will benefit me most when playing either.
however if people think that it really doesnt matter, then ill just pick my favourite

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The only benefit of learning on an acoustic that I can think of is it will toughen up and strengthen your fingers faster.
I guess I can also include the fact that is is harder to hide mistakes on an acoustic.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you're going to fork out for lessons on a one-to-one basis, then you can always ask the tutor for pointers on technique etc on electric and acoustic...

I think the majority of people start on a cheap acoustic, have problems at first until the finger strength is built up and the callouses develop, then are amazed how easy playing on an electric seems, because the strings are closer to the fretboard....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I use both - I started out on acoustic and after three months bought an electric.

I practice for about and hour on each one everyday and alternate them for my lessons - one week I take the acoustic and the next week I take the electric. This way neither guitar gets jealous :D

BS

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

It doesn't matter.

BUT -- if you're using electric, do all your practicing with the cleanest tone you can get. No distortion, no overdrive, no effects at all.

All those cool effects you can put on an electric can easily cover up a lot of very sloppy technique.

Even clean, naturally occuring compression can cover up some slight slip-ups, but not many.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You'll learn the same techniques on either one, for the most part. Some effects, like tapping, are much easier on electric... others, like percussive right-hand effects, are usually done acoustic.

Folks who start on electric tend to develop speed sooner than those who start on acoustic. Folks who start on acoustic develop dynamic sensitivity faster than those who start on electric.

If you practice on both, though, in a few years no one will know which one you started with - electric players become more sensitive, and acoustic players become faster, over time.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for all the replies

i think im going to go ahead and start the lessons on acoustic, because i really need to develop finger strength, dynamic sensitivity and solid rythm first so i think acoustic is best for that

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I would say accoustic if you're going to be going outside the home for lessons. That way you just have to take your guitar, no amps or cables, ect.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Gear usually doesn't travel - I don't know any guitar teachers who don't have an amp for student use during lessons. A cord is pretty simple to tuck into a case... but I've always got chords on hand in case a student forgets theirs, so really all you need is a guitar for either style.

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

electric or acustic ?

well I think the acustic would be the right choice if I was your tutor anything you master on the acustic can be very easily transfered over to your electric . Like mentioned before there is no difference between technique on either , but acustics are easier to carry around to your lessons you only have to take your guitar case and its contents , no amp extension chord ect . My advise go with the acustic and practice what you learn on both .

oh well thats my 5 cents worth

cheers
L.K :arrow:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Define Dynamic Sensitivity.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@tuoti)

Yeah I'm a little stumped on that definition as well. :?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Control over the loudness/softness/accenting of individual notes.

Electric guitars get played amplified... and a lot of electric guitar players are fond of effects and/or amp distortion. Processing the sound covers a whole lotta sins, so the physical control lags behind acoustic players.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2