Notifications
Clear all

Which Strat should I buy?

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@scoop)
Topic starter  

I've been told that the most versatile guitar is the strat, and when I look at them, I find a bunch of different styles.
My favorite is the Eric Clapton model, but other models are the standard, the american, the deluxe, the 60th anniversary,etc., etc.
They range in price from 800 to 2000$. Are there really any differences between them worth paying for, or is it a cash grab?

(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

May I suggest this link as a great starting point:

http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0117432700

You should play as many as you can, and I think you should alsop look at Teles.... One of the key differences you'll encounter is pick up configuration. The vintage strat tone is the 3 single coils, but some opt for a humbucker in the rear. Also, make sure you want a guitar with a tremelo. I hate em, but many people love em. There is the hard tail strat without trem. The best advice I can give is narrow down to choices you think you might like in the way of color, then go try them out at a big store. I think the American Deluxe is the best bang for the buck. The american deluxe is a great guitar at a reasonable price.

PK

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Which Strat should you buy? I'd say the one you can afford. You'll want to play them all because there are differences.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

You should play as many as you can, and I think you should alsop look at Teles....
I would also echo PK's suggestion there. Try whatever you can get your hands on.

Also be sure to try ones that may not necessarily be your first choice based on looks. You maybe surprised what you end up leaning towards. Often it'll be the guitar that chooses you. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

One of the key differences you'll encounter is pick up configuration.
I'll disagree on that point. To my mind, the major difference between various Strats, particularly the signature guitars is the neck profile. These days, the general style is the "C" shape. Older styles ("vintage") use a thicker "D" profile and some signature Strats, like the Clapton, use a "soft V" shape.
The neck constitutes much more to the playability and (dis-)comfort of a guitar (in your hands), than probably any other single part. If you can't get along with the profile and finish of the neck or the material and the radius of the fretboard, etc., you are never going feel comfortable with the instrument and your progress will be hampered.
I had always had a hankering for a PRS SE - until I got one in my hands. I have never come across such a heavy, cumbersome neck on any guitar as on the SE. So, play whatever you can get your hands on and make sure that it suits you.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I'll disagree on that point. To my mind, the major difference between various Strats, particularly the signature guitars is the neck profile. These days, the general style is the "C" shape. Older styles ("vintage") use a thicker "D" profile and some signature Strats, like the Clapton, use a "soft V" shape.
The neck constitutes much more to the playability and (dis-)comfort of a guitar (in your hands), than probably any other single part. If you can't get along with the profile and finish of the neck or the material and the radius of the fretboard, etc., you are never going feel comfortable with the instrument and your progress will be hampered.
I had always had a hankering for a PRS SE - until I got one in my hands. I have never come across such a heavy, cumbersome neck on any guitar as on the SE. So, play whatever you can get your hands on and make sure that it suits you.

Necks are really the deciding factor in all the guitars I've bought.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

Good point regarding the various necks. The pickup configuration effects the tone and should/might weigh heavily on the decision. I remember my first strat, and how dissapopinted I was that I never developed a liking for the tremelo. The trem in the hands of the right player is very cool..... but alas, not for me :twisted: Some people laugh when I say color and finish is important because it does NOT effect playabilty. HOwever, it will probably effect how much you love the axe which probably effects how often you play it. Fender makes so many color combos in so many styles you can usually find a color you love.

One more point, spend time playing both rosewood and maple fretboards. This is another feature many people have a specific preference. I prefer the rosewood fingerboard and its warmer sound while some prefer the brightness of the maple fingerboard. GO play several! Play em loud in the store on different amp settings (don't be shy it's not american idol), and it's almot a ceertaintly one will emerge as YOUR guitar :) Have fun!

PK

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

a lot of strat players here, i have a am delxe 50th anni. C neck w/contoured heal, Samarium noiseless pups, S-1 switch, locking tuners, 2 point synchronized tremolo.

the neck is the most noticable thing on this guitar to me ,as i play them unplugged when i first try them so i can gauge the sustain/sound without an amp.
try about 12 or so you will get a good feel for the differences between the various Squiers, MiMs, and the American models.
after that i play them thru my amp at home because that is the sound i will have to live with.

the pickups are very varied and will contribute a lot to the tone you can create but i think "feel" is still the most important factor to me.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

Is the American Strat worth the extra $600 instead of the Standard Strat??

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Is the American Strat worth the extra $600 instead of the Standard Strat??
If you pick up a guitar and immediately "know" that this is the right one, that 600 pales into insignificance (unless you have alimony payments, of course :lol: ).
I had the chance to play a beautiful classical guitar - it was just a dream to play and it looked even better than it played. Fortunately (for the health of my marriage), I didn't have €5000+ in my jean's pocket, but sitting with the guitar on my lap, it didn't seem that much.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

The whole idea is that the American Strat is US made, but I hear rumor that only certain parts are... When compared to the standard strat which is MIM (made in mexico). The largest difference is in the pickups I believe. The American Strat supposedly has better pickups I guess. But, a good player can make a standard strat sound better than an average player playing an American Strat. So I guess... Just try the two out, and if the pickups are really calling your name then go for the American, but I hear standard is a pretty good guitar.

PS- I have a Squier Fat Strat, and I am pleased with the tone I get.

PPS- I plan on buying a Highway 1 strat, maple-sunburst of course.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

supposedly has better pickups? i guess? :roll:

The pickups and the hand rolled neck , american quality controlled parts. made a huge differance to me.

but, i am like a boy in love :oops:
seriously tho the feel of the neck was like night and day to me in comparison to the MiMs or the other MiAs for that matter.
not to say that they were unacceptable or bad in any way just that they were different.
to some people (especially those who are used to the feel of an older Strat) the neck on my am dlx probably would feel weird.

anyhoo here's a little History of the development of the SCN pups.
ever hear of Bill Lawrence?

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/SCNHistory.htm

"We mounted his new prototype into our test bed guitar and began testing it against our original '56 and '63 Stratocaster pickups – the benchmark we've used for the past 10 years. We were literally amazed—no noise canceling pickups we had tested before had come this close to capturing the true essence of Fender's original designs. The more we played it, using a variety of amplifiers and playing styles, we came to realize that this pickup actually exceeded our expectations—under certain conditions it actually out performed the originals!"

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@sournote)

I'm with lefty, I too chose the American over the MIM and I haven't looked back. Simply love that guitar

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Pickups can be changed. The issue is the neck. I have a Highway One neck and it is head and shoulders above the comparable MIM strats that I've played. I'm sure there are nice MIM necks, but the 3 MIA necks I've played have ALL been better than the 8 MIM strats I've played.

Also, the MIA guitars (the standards) have 22 frets and the 2-point tremolo. Both are preferable to the stock MIM equipment (21 frets and vintage trem).

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I've been told that the most versatile guitar is the strat, and when I look at them, I find a bunch of different styles.
My favorite is the Eric Clapton model, but other models are the standard, the american, the deluxe, the 60th anniversary,etc., etc.
They range in price from 800 to 2000$. Are there really any differences between them worth paying for, or is it a cash grab?

I'd advise that you also take one of these for a test drive also:
http://www.glguitars.com/tribute/instruments/Legacy/index.asp

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2