Clear all

Young guitar player being curious.

22 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 mewo
(@mewo)
Topic starter  

Greetings to you all, I'm 14 and I started guitar in the summer. I've been playing for 2 months and I am happy with my progress. I have an acoustic/electric guitar made by Yamaha and I taught myself with Hal Leonard's Guitar Methods(I just realized Hal Leonard wrote the trumpet book I use too o_O). Anyways I have a few questions.

1. Pick or nails?

2. If nails, how would I go about using nails? Do I grow my nail long enough or use my thumb/nail?

3. I plan to get a small amp for my acoustic/electric guitar when I feel like I am worthy. What amps are good? What's a pickup?

Thanks in advance for your time.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I only use my nails when playing fingerstyle and even then not all the time but only when accenting certain notes.
Other than that I use a pick.
I keep my nails on my picking hand even with the tips of my fingers.
My fretting hand I keep them short.

ReplyQuote
 mewo
(@mewo)
Topic starter  

Oh ic. Is it possible to strum with nails? Is it a good idea? Normally I use a pick.

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Welcome to GN.

When I fingerpick, I use the tips of my fingers. I prefer the 'softer' sound, and I keep my nails pretty short. Also (when fingerpicking) I'll strum with the tip of my finger, usually the middle finger.

That, of course, doesn't exclude playing / strumming with a pick.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Man its all about the sound. I pick with a pick, my thumb, my nails, and I have even used a dime, depending on my mood and/or the song. One fellow in the other forum cut his gums using his teeth to play. I wouldn't recommend that but anything else is cool.

You can pick with or without nails. Even short nails that don't actully hit the strings can effect the tone. So give nails a try

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Plus if you are worried about the sound being "too soft" when using your finger tips the amp will boost the volume.

Oh by the way...welcome to GC. I have only been playing one month longer than yourself so I know what you are going through...

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Welcome to guitarnoise!

1. Pick

2. N/A

3. This one depends on what kind of music you like, what you want to play, and what your budget is. Tell us that and we can help.

A pickup is a part in an electric guitar that 'picks up' the sound, and allows it to be transfered to the amp.They are usually very small looking mettalic circles all in a row. That's a simple as I can describe it.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Oh ic. Is it possible to strum with nails? Is it a good idea? Normally I use a pick.

Hi and welcome,

Yes, there's heaps of ways to strums with nails. As MaxRumble says, it's all about the sound. You can do a downstrum with a curled hand that uses all four fingernails, you can pick up or down with a single nail, you can use the tip or ball of your finger and build up a bit of a callous there, or... Well, just say that there are all sorts of variations and combinations.

For fingerpicking styles you might strum a bass line with your thumb and pick patterns with anything from one to 4 of your fingers (usually 3). So you'll be using your fingers. I guess you could do an equivalent using a pick, but fingerpicking usually means fingers. :)

You can also hold your index finger and thumb together (as if you were holding a pick) and use the nail on the index finger to play like a pick, if you have a decent nail.

Picks are good for certain types of playing but nails and fingers are extremely versatile and can be used for just about anything. I'd certainly try both.

Good luck with your playing. :D

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
 mewo
(@mewo)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help. If I were to get an amp I would get one under $100. I like rock music. Stuff like Led Zeppelin and alternative stuff like Sum 41 and Green Day. I know I need an electric for most of those and I will get one in the distant future. Attempting to play that stuff with an acoustic should be fun though.

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

Welcome to GN!

A: Thank you for being gramatically and spell-er-ifically correct. My faith in today's youth has been restored. :D

B: Pick. Learn to play with a pick. If you can play with a pick, you can play with your fingers. Learn to hybrid-pick, which is picking with a true plectrum and also using your fingers to pluck other notes.

C: If you're truly gunning for an amp, your best bet is to take your guitar to the local store and plug in to anything you think you may be interested in. Barring that, the Crate MX-10 is a solid, cheap amp with good frequency response.

D: Welcome again. :)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i don't use pick because i play classical guitar 8)

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

A: Thank you for being gramatically and spell-er-ifically correct.
Spell-er-ifically? At least our youth know what they're doing! 8)
I agree completely. I especially liked the proper use of big letters and those funny dots (fleas?) at the ends of some words.
B: Pick. Learn to play with a pick. If you can play with a pick, you can play with your fingers. Learn to hybrid-pick, which is picking with a true plectrum and also using your fingers to pluck other notes.
I don't quite agree that if you can play with a pick you can play with your fingers, but I do recommend learning all three styles. The one you should learn first depends on what you want to play. Picks are the things for rocking out.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Learn all methods and see which suits you and your music best. If it sounds right, it is right.

By the way, welcome to GN (I think Mikespe is mentally satisfying his GAS at GC :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

By the way, welcome to GN (I think Mikespe is mentally satisfying his GAS at GC :lol: :lol: :lol: )

WOW! I didn't even notice that! :oops: :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

WOW! I didn't even notice that! :oops: :oops:

lmao, if the Freudian slip fits, wear it :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2