Clear all

Request - Angel from Montgomery

17 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone have a decent version, all the ones I have on mp3 are so different I don't know where to start, though the chordsstrum for the Dave Matthews version might be fairly easy if only I had an ear! :cry:

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Here's how I play it.

For a simple pattern try D DUDUDU . If someone is playing with you put their guitar in drop D and capo at the second fret and play the chord in parentheses.

(B) (G/B) (D) (G/B)
E A E A
I am an old woman named after my mother.
(D) (G/B) (A7) (D)
E A B7 E
My old man is another child that's grown old.
(G/B) (D) (G/B)
A E A
If dreams were thunder and lightning was desire
(D) (G/B) (A7) (D)
E A B7 E
this old house would've burned down a long time ago.

CHORUS
D) (C) (G/B) (D)
E D A E
Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery.
(C) (G/B) (D)
D A E
Make me a poster of an old rodeo.
(C) (G/B) (D)
D A E
Just give me one thing that I can hold on to.
(G/B) (A7) (D)(G/B) (D) (G/B)
A B7 E A E A
To believe in this living is just a hard way to go.

When I was a young girl I had me a cowboy,

wa'n't much to look at, just a free ramblin' man.

But that was a long time, and no matter how I try,

the years just flow by like a broken-down dam.

(repeat chorus)

There's flies in the kitchen, I can hear all their buzzin'

but I ain't done nothin' since I woke up today.

I am kind of person goes to work in the morning

come home in the evenin' and have nothin' to say.

(repeat chorus)
(C) (G/B) (D)
D A E
To believe in this living is just a hard way to go.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks I'll give it a go

your chords are out of line with the lyric, is that correct?

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I cant get it to line up forgot which freaking font I have to use to make it line up. :evil:

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Courier new?

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I use just plain Courier.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

That's better!!!! 8)

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again, I have seen a similar one that uses D instead of B7 but I'll try yours
My guitar plating chum seems to think the Dave Matthews version is in G, does that sound right?

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

If your in G I'm pretty sure you'll have to use an F chord for the D in the original. I try to avoid that myself :oops:

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

If your in G I'm pretty sure you'll have to use an F chord for the D in the original. I try to avoid that myself :oops:

I've had a try and I'm really struggling with the strumming, I can't get a full set in for each chord and am unsure how you split them up, first line for instance, do you do E - ddudu / A -du / E - ddud / A - udu ??? Or what?
As I said I've not been playing long and most of that has been learning riff type stuff where the tume is obvious to me

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I've had a try and I'm really struggling with the strumming, I can't get a full set in for each chord and am unsure how you split them up, first line for instance, do you do E - ddudu / A -du / E - ddud / A - udu ??? Or what?
As I said I've not been playing long and most of that has been learning riff type stuff where the tume is obvious to me

E d dudu A udu should work. Slow yourself waaaaaaaaaay down I know it's painful but eventually it'll work out 8)

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks again, I'll go try it

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

If you're in G, you can use Fadd9 (X03213) instead of a regular F. That's in the choruses. It sounds very nice that way.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

If you're in G, you can use Fadd9 (X03213) instead of a regular F. That's in the choruses. It sounds very nice that way.

Peace

Ah yes chord substitution. Why didn't I think of that! :oops:

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2