Clear all

Capo's and Keys

21 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mjmark223)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

If I play a G major scale without a capo, then capo the 2nd fret does it turn into an A major scale? I'm visualizing the capo as the nut and I would be using the same form as before.

Thanks for any help

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Yep, that's it. :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You might want to check out David's The Underappreciated Art of Using a Capo.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@mjmark223)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys

ReplyQuote
(@laaaijo)
Eminent Member

I don't see the link between the capo and the key. The chords I understeand : they move up a semi tone when going one fret to right. But dhodge says in his article : when I put my capo on the third fret, I don't understeand why it is in the G-key ?.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I don't see the link between the capo and the key. The chords I understeand : they move up a semi tone when going one fret to right. But dhodge says in his article : when I put my capo on the third fret, I don't understeand why it is in the G-key ?.

He means that, instead of playing in Bb using uncomfortable Bb shape chords, he can simply put the capo on the third fret and play it in G, an easy key for chord shapes. The sound that comes out will still be Bb because the capo will change the pitch up three half steps. It's exactly the same principle as you noted earlier, i.e., placing a capo on the second fret converts a G scale to an A scale. This time it's on the third fret so G (key or chord or scale or note) becomes Bb.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Right. Play an open E. Now put on the capo and play an open E. It's an F instead of an E. Look at it this way:

The chords for E are:

E F#m G#m A B C#m D#m7b5

If you play all those chords just that way but with the capo on the first fret, the chords we hear are:

F Gm Am Bb C Dm Em7b5

Those are the chords for the key of F.

Move the capo up three frets or 1.5 steps and still play the chords for the key of E, you'll get:

G Am Bm C D Em F#m7b5 or the chords for the key of G.

Does that make sense to you? Say you memorized a song written in E. (Like the Stones' "Satisfaction". The last time our band played this, the singers said they wanted to do it in G instead of E. Now, I could have transposed all the chords and played it after thinking it through. I was playing rhythm on the acoustic. Instead of doing all that thinking, I slapped a capo on the third fret and played it just as I always do -- using the song's E, D, A, and B7.
No fuss, no sweat, no need to learn new chords. The capo let the song played in E sound out in G.)

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@laaaijo)
Eminent Member

ok, they move up, understood :). Why are the chords for the key E this ones : E F#m G#m A B C#m D#m7b5. Why just those ?

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

A key is based on a scale - the chords in the key are built from the notes of that scale. Those chords above in the key of E are the basic chords you can make up with the E major scale. Chords in which all the notes are from the parent scale are called diatonic chords, and I have a tool to show many of them from a key, here that you might find useful.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@laaaijo)
Eminent Member

thx all, completely understood :D

grtz

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@laaaijo)
Eminent Member

Still interested in something, the link between the Scale note and the chord can it be explained or is it to difficult to understeand for a newbie ?

example, the root note of the D major key is ofcourse D, why and how can 13 chords be made ?

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Still interested in something, the link between the Scale note and the chord can it be explained or is it to difficult to understeand for a newbie ?

example, the root note of the D major key is ofcourse D, why and how can 13 chords be made ?

I'm not sure where you're getting 13 from but the link between chords and scales is that you can build a chord on any of the scale notes, as the others have demonstrated. The chosen scale note will be the root of the chord and the accompanying chord notes will come from the scale too. You can have more than thirteen depending on which other scale notes you decide to include in the chords.

ReplyQuote
(@laaaijo)
Eminent Member

If you choose for example the D major key : you can make the chords, D Major, D sus2, D sus4, D 5, D 6, D 6/9, D add9, D Major 7, D Major9, D Major 11, D Major 13. This are 12 chords based on the root note from de the D M key. Get this from the tool that was linked. What I want to know is the link between the scale note and those chords. How are those chords been made ?

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

If you choose for example the D major key : you can make the chords, D Major, D sus2, D sus4, D 5, D 6, D 6/9, D add9, D Major 7, D Major9, D Major 11, D Major 13. This are 12 chords based on the root note from de the D M key. Get this from the tool that was linked. What I want to know is the link between the scale note and those chords. How are those chords been made ?

Ah - I see. You mean chords built from just the key note.

Ok, the notes of D major (taken over two octaves) are D E F# G A B C# D E F# G A B C#.
The chords you mentioned are built by taking the root note D plus various combinations of the others. Every chord type has a formula that relates to the scale notes as follows
Major = 1 3 5 = D F# A
Sus 2 = 1 2 5 = D E A
Sus 4 = 1 4 5 = D G A
5 = 1 5 = D A
6 = 1 3 5 6 = D F# A B
6/9 = 1 3 5 6 9 = D F# A B E
Add 9 = 1 3 5 9 = D F# A E
Maj 7 = 1 3 5 7 = D F# A C#
Maj 9 = 1 3 5 7 9 = D F# A C# E
Maj 11= 1 3 5 7 9 11 = D F# A C# E G
Maj 13 = 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 = D F# A C# E G B

Most of the above chords are built by stacking intervals of a third (alternate scale notes). This is the normal way to build chords in what's called tertian harmony (i.e.,built from thirds). The 5 chord and sus chords are exceptions.

Also note that some chords require notes to be omitted to be physically possible to play on a six string guitar (e.g. the maj13, which, in theory, contains 7 notes.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2