Acoustic Blues in Standard Tuning

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
13.3 K Views
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Man I liked the sound of your song, its excellent!!!

BUT as far as the lesson goes, I feel like a guy who's car is knackered, and all i have to fix it is a one page manual. "Just take all the widgets out, repair the gizmos, hey presto its fixed !!!".

In other words, i am TOTALLY lost. I am really interested in learning some blues, but it seems a really big jump from playing my usual stuff to playing blues. If this really is an introduction to it, i am doomed!

When i listed to your track it all sounded so complete and polished, but i am having trouble reconciling it with the tab you have put in the lesson. No doubt its full of extra fills and stuff, but boy at the moment i am MILES away from being able to do it.

I suppose what i am saying is that MP3's of the lesson would be a MASSIVE help. I am sure that a lot of other people that visit this site have had a look, and thought "i would like to try that!" but been put off but the apparent complexity. One of the reasons that i want to play blues, is that most people seem to suggest its quite easy to pick it up in a basic form.

I am rambling now so i will shut up, but certainly need some extra help.

If mp3/s are not possible what about breaking down the lesson into smaller chunks, let's say the bass line and how to play it, etc.

By the way, I am a relative begginner, but certainly no longer a complete novice.

Thanks for listening

Matt

(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Matt,

Are you refering to the Blues Lessons on this site? because I have the same problems as you. When I see all the notation in the lessons I can't see the wood for the trees.

And yet, I've found on those lessons with mp3's I can pickup whats going on by ear and it all falls into place and I start to understand the notation from them.

Like you Matt, I am a relative beginner with guitar and would love to get into the Blues. So far I have tried `Before You Accuse Me' and can sort of play it only because I have the Clapton track of it on CD to listen to.

So yeah, more mp3's please! On the Kansas City or Roll Over Beethoven lessons would be a real help to me

I think I've also rambled on too much too, so I'll go now.

Cheers

Chris,

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the addition of the MP3s is a relatively new feature and David's been busy adding MP3s in places as well as generating new lessons (I have no idea how he finds the time!). I'm not sure if the author of the acoustic blues article visits the forum. I'll see if it's possible for David to get in touch with him.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@boogiechillun85)

I do visit the forum, I usually just stick to the "Sunday Songwriter's Group" and occasionally hop over here because I'm vain and I want to see if anyone is talking about me.. :wink: But an email will get you a much prompter response, as well as make me feel special..
I understand all of your complaints. Not to expose too much of the seedy underbelly of Guitarnoise, but what you see on the site was intended as a draft. And David just kind of put it on the site as is. I assumed I'd get an email back with like three pages of corrections and a request for mp3s, and the email never came.. lol.. I personally would have no problem recording mp3s of each individual example, but I would think that'd be something that would be requested by David. So if all of you really want mp3s then email him alot and tell him that..
If anyone has any questions about specific examples that would require a longer explanation, feel free to email me at [email protected]
Jim Arkuszewski
http://www.soundclick.com/jimarkuszewski

Jim Arkuszewski

ReplyQuote
(@rexlander)

The mp3 file is a great help for this lesson. One of the problems for beginners in playing the blues is to master that blues shuffle. We are generally taught to play on the beat (and half beat) but the whole idea of delaying the half beat can be difficult to master.
I find that the only problem with this lesson is that the timing is not notated, and and I had to take some significant time to figure out on what beat the notes were being played, where there were triplits and so forth. Though it is a good learning experience trying to figure them out! I think that I have got most of it (with the help of the mp3) but I am sure that I have a few mistakes yet. However, it is slowly coming together and starting to feel 'bluesy'

Thanks for the awesome lesson, it has sparked me to get back into learning the blues!

Keep your stick on the ice!

ReplyQuote
(@boogiechillun85)

I know this topic has been dead for awhile, but I changed my email address. So any and all questions that were mailed to me should be redirected to [email protected]

Maybe I can get that changed on the article too?

Jim Arkuszewski

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Jim, if you have any requests or changes email me.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

SHould be changed on the article now (if I did it right - which is always a gamble! :wink: )

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@boogiechillun85)

Fabulous, thank you!
I actually did email David about this a few weeks back, but I never heard anything.
Thanks,

Jim Arkuszewski

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

My fault there, I'm afraid Jim. My email has been a little erratic (to put it nicely) of late and I know that I've missed a number of things sent to me.

I appreciate your patience.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@boogiechillun85)

Not a problem at all.. :wink:

Jim Arkuszewski

ReplyQuote
(@themasterg)

Maybe I need glasses but I can't for the life of me see an MP3 anywhere on that lesson page? Am I missing something? :?

ReplyQuote
(@boogiechillun85)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/jimarkuszewskimusic.htm
Go here and click on "GuitarNoise Lesson mp3"
I posted it on my other site a few months ago..

Jim Arkuszewski

ReplyQuote
(@themasterg)

Nice one, sounds good. Just gotta learn it now :p

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

The mp3 file is a great help for this lesson. One of the problems for beginners in playing the blues is to master that blues shuffle. We are generally taught to play on the beat (and half beat) but the whole idea of delaying the half beat can be difficult to master.
I find that the only problem with this lesson is that the timing is not notated, and and I had to take some significant time to figure out on what beat the notes were being played, where there were triplits and so forth. Though it is a good learning experience trying to figure them out! I think that I have got most of it (with the help of the mp3) but I am sure that I have a few mistakes yet. However, it is slowly coming together and starting to feel 'bluesy'

Thanks for the awesome lesson, it has sparked me to get back into learning the blues!

I loved this lesson and was determined to learn it, but I struggled with the timing as well. Running Jim's mp3 (thanks a million!) through a little Mac based program called Audacity made the difference. It lets you easily change tempo without changing pitch. Slowly things down about 35% made all the difference. Luckily, being a slow bues to begin with, the piece still sounds OK even at that pace. Audacity is freeware and works great; I'm sure there are many apps like it on the PC side. It's definitely worth hunting one out. :)

Don

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2