18 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
13.9 K Views
(@viktal)
Topic starter  

so..
im new to this music thing :) and im wondering:
the strumming pattern is three strokes down and one quick up? and the upstroke is muted? what is muted and how do you do it?
please help me.. :)

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=394

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the asylum for the musically insane.

How to mute? Release the pressure on the strings with your fretting hand and lightly rest the edge of your palm on the strings by the bridge. That should do the trick.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'm adding the comments from the duplicate thread here:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2005 13:52 Post subject: Hurt... Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Hey Dave, I was wondering if you could clear something up for me. I'm learning "Hurt", by Trent Reznor (J. Cash's cover) and following your lesson, which is wonderful, but in the beginning, you say the verse chord progression is Amin to C and then to Dsus2 but later in the lesson the order is C to Dsus2 to Amin (which sounds correct).

Could you clear that up?

Thanks!

Julius
Smile
art&lutherie

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2005 17:04 Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
The progression is still Am C Dsus that first Am before the lyrics is still lingering when you start the I hurt myself today part. The Am is 1/2 a measure before the C and Dsus are 1/4 each.

The Tragically Hip
geetar66

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2005 18:42 Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Thanks Art!
art&lutherie

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2005 10:53 Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Hey I was playing with this last night and where David uses an A7sus4(002233) I accidently used an A7(002213) It sounded good and made going to the Fadd9(x03213) easier rather than moving three fingers I only have to slide one over a fret then You can move both of them up a string for the C(x32013) and up one more time while removing your index finger for the G(320003). Even though the G is a little thin, to my ear it still works. Give it a try. Let me know what you think.

Bob

The Tragically Hip

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@wadesisk)
Eminent Member

I've tried several different fingering combinations, generally keeping my first finger anchored on the B string, on the first three chord progressions of Hurt, but I just can't get the changes as smoothly as I would like.

What fingering do you guys use on the first three chords (Am, C, and Dsus2)?

For example:

It seems more natural to me to finger the C chord with my ring finger on the A string, but the shift to the Dsus2 seems to go smoother if I use my pinky on the A string.

I know it's up to individual preference, but I'd like to know what other people find comfortable on all three chords.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Personally, I'd use my ring finger. Keep practicing the switch to the Dsus2. Just play that change several times to get used to it. Eventually the change will become easy for you.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Ghost DJR asks:
Okay I hvae part of the verse down. I make an Am chord, pick the A and D strings and then strum everything but the first E chord. Same thing for C but I make a C chord. My problem is that it says to next make a Dsus2 chord. I make one and then do the same process but it doesn't sound anything like it should. Any help here?

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

First off, welcome to the asylum for the musically insane.

Why doesn't it sound like it should? What's different? Is it possible that it's because David's lesson covers Johnny Cash's arrangement of the song and that maybe that arrangement differs from Reznor's original?

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Also don't forget that on the Dsus2 chord you want to start picking on the D string, not the A. So it would be D string, G string and then the two high strings.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@ghostdjr)

Also don't forget that on the Dsus2 chord you want to start picking on the D string, not the A. So it would be D string, G string and then the two high strings.

Hope this helps.

PeaceI tried that after realising not to strike the E or A chords and struck the D and G and so on and so out. It sounds a little to high. Maybe because I'm doing Johnny's version on an electric guitar. Does anybody know where Trent's, Nine Inch Nails, version is. I imagine it will be practically the same thing but who knows.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You could turn the treble down on the amp and see if it sounds better. Or just pluck a bit more delicately.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I believe it's the last song on The Downward Spiral.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@lineagecreed)
Trusted Member

"On the strumming, I think you're going to find this the easiest thing we've done yet! I use three straight quarter notes done as downstrokes followed by two eighth notes on the fourth beat. This is a quick down-and-up stroke and you'll see that I've marked the final eighth note (the upstroke) with "x's" as if it's a palm mute."

hey friends, I have problems with the strumming, it's not the easiest thing for me. So i do three downstroke followed by a quick down-up, on the up strum i am changing the chord...

is that right? for some reason, when i switch, it doesn't have the muted effect, just sounds like half a chord

any help is good!

ReplyQuote
(@impact)

That's correct. The strumming is exactly like this:

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
D D D D U

When you start changing the chords at the 4th beat, right after the downstroke and during the upstroke, try lifting your pinky a little to achieve that muted sound. See if you like it that way.

I am playing this on an electric guitar and to my ears it sounds much better if I keep the pinky planted down at all times.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I was playing along with the recording of Johnny Cash and it sounded spot on. Have you tried retuning your guitar?

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi all

I managed to get a recording of Johnny Cash's version and following Dave Hodge wonderful lessons I learnt to play a decent version of it. Regarding the strumming, I did not follow David's suggestions (sorry Dave :-)!!) and I play instead a flurry of eight notes with downstrums only, a pattern which I think is very near to Johnny Cash's one

So it is

dd/dd/dd/dd

This is a very useful pattern, widely used in rock music (commonly with a bit of muting)

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

crkt246 asks:
I want to know if the chords that david hodgeuse in the lesson Hurt are from the song book? thanks

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2