18 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Metallica do not use Gibsons. They use an ESP version of the Lel Paul

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

At the metallica page under kirk's equip it says he uses a gibson les paul. He's does have a bunch of ESP's tho.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

So he does...lol

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

top ten metal axes (in no order) in my opinion are:

1:gibson les paul
2:gibson SG
3: Gibson flying V
4:Parker Fly
5:PRS custom 24
6:Shecter c series
7: BC rich worlock
8:Ibanez RG
9:Jackson soloist
10:... WHATEVER IS THE EASIEST FOR YOU TO PLAY

Basically, in metal, you want to forget about the guitar completely. It cannot get in your way. You don't want to fight it. So shatter the precedents, and use whatever the hell you want. The reason why guitars like the les paul have a metal connotation is becuase people just decided to use them for it. So buy a telecaster and rock out on that. Maybe you will start a new metal tradition!

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

I think humbuckers in general are better for metal, a thicker sound. But depending on the amp, you may be able to get single coils to sound like humbuckers. One big advantage of buckers is that they are a lot less noisy, which is important at high gain.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i recall james hetfield using a EMG equipped Explorer for the longest time

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

Finch uses telecasters into a dual rec. and they get heavy!

ReplyQuote
(@crazy_coyote)
Topic starter  

are the B.C. Rich line of Warlocks any good? I was thinking of getting one of their s.

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

ehh, not too familiar with those. the ones i see are the ones at guitar center or sam ash and they look a lil goofy for my taste. like theyre trying to sell you a "METAL GUITAR!!". in my opinion theyre more looks than sound. but ive never played one. try em out before u buy!!

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

At The Drive-In used Jaguars, Jazzmasters, Telecasters and Archtops. Biffy Clyro's guitarist, Simon Neil, uses Telecasters and Stratocasters. Glassjaw used SGs and Telecasters.

There's no such thing as a "metal" guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Check out the Dean '79 re-issues. Comes in V, ML and Explorer (ML) shapes. Full mahony body, actually proper sounding stock pups, very smooth and slick neck, looks great, choice of Floyd Rose or hardtail. Amazing value for money, Dimebag actually played these in the last weeks before his death. Should be around $550 or so.

If you want to spend as little as possible and don't mind a used one go get an Ibanez RG, series 500 and up. Start at around $200 and are amazingly good. Basswood bodies mostly (Ibanez still uses Basswood in their prestige lines), superb Ibanez version of a Floyd, the fastest neck ever designed and some stock high output buckers (and some with a sc in the middle slot).

If you fancy some kind of musical clean stay well away from those active EMG pups. Disgusting pickups, only usefull if you want a wall of distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@epiphoneisgibson)
Eminent Member

that you should get a gibson sg....heh if i had enough money i would so get an sg...

happiness is a warm poppy

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

If you fancy some kind of musical clean stay well away from those active EMG pups. Disgusting pickups, only usefull if you want a wall of distortion.

I don't know maybe i deaf but i don't agree with you on that Arjen, i have 3 other guitars and none of them get close to the clean sound i get from my explorer with the EMG60. A buddy of mine has a new ibanez loaded with seymour duncans - no chance. i will say this though the EMG 81 is not that great for clean sounds but through a effects pedal it still sounds better than most i've heard.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

I whole-heartedly agree with Tucker and Kyle. It's all about what you are most comfortable with, and what kind of sounds you can evoke out of it.

I'd be willing to lay down a good thousand dollar bet that if Zakk Wylde were to go down to the local store, fell in love with one of those heart-shaped Daisy Rock guitars, and played one on stage for the whole of the Ozzfest tour, not only would there be a rush on them, but that stupid notion of a "metal" guitar would be turned upside down, at long last.

(people would still buy the Explorers and other pointy guitars, but the case would be made - a guitar is a guitar, and should never, EVER, be an evocation of a musical style, unless it is absolute shite for any other style of music.)

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

id say B.C Rich or Ibanez would be most famous for metal

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3