Skip to content
Do types of wood re...

Notifications
Clear all

Do types of wood really affect an ELECTRIC guitar's tone?

73 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

That is such a cool guitar. I think they actually sell similar ones on their website actually.

http://www.danelectro.com/guitars1.htm

For $299 it looks like an OK guitar actually :lol:

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

That is such a cool guitar. I think they actually sell similar ones on their website actually.

http://www.danelectro.com

And I have one of the original Reverend Slingshots, which is basically a plastic-rimmed Formica laminate guitar. It has a very nice resonant acoustic sound. It's the one on the right:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Danelectro's are pretty cool guitars. Their cheap construction is actually what gives them their great tone. They have another unique feature, when you switch to the bridge/neck pickup position you get a big volume boost. Many players used to love this, they would switch to the middle position to play a solo.

Their pickups are good too. One of Stevie Ray's guitars called "Charlie" had 3 Danelectro lipstick pickups installed in it.

The problem with old Dano's is that they had sort of a floating bridge that was held by one screw in the middle on the rear of the bridge. The front of the bridge rested on two screws, this is how you adjusted your string height or action. But the saddles was one single piece of wood, you could not adjust intonation whatsoever. If you look at that picture of Jimmy Page you can see the old Dano bridge. You can see he is using it for slide as well, probably just raised the strings high. But Jimmy used a Dano for Led Zep's hit Kashmir. That is great tone in that song.

The new Dano's have an improved bridge with individual saddles you can adjust for intonation. My Dano has the old bridge, really cheap and difficult to change strings, they just hook over the end of the bridge. You cannot adjust intonation at all, but it is pretty close.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

This has GOT to be a guy thing! I'm reading through this thread and thinking "Geeks". :wink:

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

This has GOT to be a guy thing! I'm reading through this thread and thinking "Geeks". :wink:

Geez Kathy, I know a few women who are willing to talk about wood.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Geez Kathy, I know a few women who are willing to talk about wood.
:shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

By the way, has the conversation gone full circle? We're talking about plywood and formica now ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

By the way, has the conversation gone full circle? We're talking about plywood and formica now ...

:D :D

Perhaps it's 'Organic Plywood' and 'Natural Plastic' though??? :P

Seriously, despite being something of a wood geek myself, I don't think that wood has a monopoly on tone (ain't seen no wooden saxophone yet...). So I don't see why you can't get good tones out of all manner of materials. Different, but still good or bad or perhaps suitable for a particular purpose, depending on the qualities of the material selected and the skill and care (or luck!) in how it was used.

I'd love to get hold of a neck from an old 'beater' and try attaching a variety of bodies and see what differences I could get (Slab of granite good for rock tones maybe?? :roll: )

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You are right Chris, we've come back around to less exotic materials. The difference is that it is quite possible to build a nice resonant box out of stiff, stable -- and fairly ordinary -- materials. Getting a similar resonant behavior out of a solid slab of wood is not a slam-dunk. Only certain woods do it well as solid chunks, and even then only some of pieces. If you go around tapping wood slabs of different types, you will find that some 'ring' or 'thump' with a nice, pleasing tone and others ... not so much.

Reverend's original claim was that by using consistent materials to build a semi-hollow resonant body structure, they could make every model a consistent tonal winner. And like Danos, the older Reverends had a very acoustic side to them. Unlike Dano, Reverend guitars came close to hitting the $1000 US mark, and then Reverend decided to move offshore and change construction to keep the prices starting in the sub-$500 range. Affordable prices for a workingman's guitar line has always been espoused as a Reverend goal. Now most of their guitars are more traditional solid wood bodies. I guess the market dictates the product.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

sometimes the different wood dont so much make a 'better sound' but a sound that your inclined to or away from, i played quite a few different teles before i bought mine and although although the quality of some was better than others i ended up opting for the cheaper one as it had the sound i prefered, more cutting sound with a sharper edge, of course has a lot to do with the amp to. but sometimes the small differences between woods can get you that exact sound your after

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

............(ain't seen no wooden saxophone yet...)....................
I have. Someone built one of bamboo, along with a clarinet.
............Slab of granite good for rock tones maybe??....................
A few years ago, there was a granite bodied guitar (normal wod neck) built by someone who did it for his masonry degree. He had to hollow ot the back of the body, just to make the weight bearable and even then it was heavier than an LP. It did look nice, though...............

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

:D :D :D

I guess the old saying must be true ""There's nothing new under the sun"! 8)

There's a guy made one out of aluminium (or aluminum as he'd say)

Aluminum Guitar

And an article about a guy who was also apparently making them back in the 60s. It also mentions the use of other 'exotic' materials.

Veleno Guitars

A friend of mine made one from a local wood called jarrah - which is very dense and heavy and was once called 'Swan River mahogany'. Sounded OK, but no real surprise there.

So, with the wooden sax and the granite guitar crossed off the list, I'm now kind of stuck working out what innovation I can try and devise. :? I did think of a rubber trumpet (perfect for playing with a rubber band... :roll: ) but I'm sure it's been done.

Back to the drawing board...

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Let's not forget about the carbon-graphite guitars from RainSong and Martin... I've heard NOTHING but good reviews and comments about these guitars. AND, no ongoing setup issues since they are not affected by humimdity.

Unfortunately, I've now just given myself GAS.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Let's not forget about the carbon-graphite guitars from RainSong and Martin... I've heard NOTHING but good reviews and comments about these guitars. AND, no ongoing setup issues since they are not affected by humimdity.

Unfortunately, I've now just given myself GAS.[/url]

Played a couple Rainsongs at Manny's the other day. They definitely have their own timbre -- different, but good.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

(ain't seen no wooden saxophone yet...)

Wooden saxophone? That doesn't seem so bad, until you get a dozen splinters in your mouth :lol:

I would think that a guitar made of some sort of metal would have incredible sustain (depending on what type of metal), but unless it's an acoustic I think you'd have to be crazy to install pickups (AC voltage) into metal without some sort of well thought out grounding.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5