Clear all

Equpiment Needed to GIG

25 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@hoop71)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok so im finally taking the steps to play our at coffee houses and bars... what is the minimum amount or nessicary amount of equpiment i need... ie.. mics.. amps... sound board ect.. im not looking to rock an ampitheater but i dont want to sound or look stupid.. any advice would be greatly appriciated!

-Matt

"my choice is what i choose to do
and if i'm causing no harm
it shouldn't bother you
your choice is who you choose to be
and if your causin' no harm
then you're alright with me"
~Ben Harper

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Acoustic or Electric? Solo or three piece?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

How many people in the group?
Drums?

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

You might be able to get away without a PA or amp at a very small coffee house, but if your doing anything bigger that you need a PA.

PA's a must.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I use a normal acoustic amp with vocal channel. It does the job for small things such as that.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@hoop71)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks... i guess most cases 2 acoustics and a fiddle... maybe drums but probally not.. ive heard a PA will suffice and a couple nice mics.. anything else?

"my choice is what i choose to do
and if i'm causing no harm
it shouldn't bother you
your choice is who you choose to be
and if your causin' no harm
then you're alright with me"
~Ben Harper

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Are you planning on miking the guitars or are they acoustic-electrics that will go through amps? Is the fiddle acoustic or electric? How many people will be singing?

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If you need PA purchase advice, Wes Inman on these boards (and Live Sound especially) can get you going with some great, inexpensive ideas.

If you're mostly thinking about going places where there's maybe already a small PA installed - where you just have to bring your guitars and other things - then, if the 2 guitars don't have pickups of any kind, you'd need a mic for each. Shure SM58s are good for instruments, but there's all kinds of good, and less expensive mics out there now. Just look for dynamic mics.

Then you'd need a mic for the fiddle player if he doesn't have a pickup, and then one mic each for each person singing.

The club might already have mics, but it's good to check it out before hand, and sometimes, because mics are close proximity to people's mouths, you might just want to have your own personal one and not use the house's mic for vocals.

But if the club has less and you need to bring more, then cables for each mic would be good to have in your bag, and again, depending on the club, you might need mic stands. Probably not, but sometimes you have to think 'worst case scenario' you know?

Then the Extras - extra strings for each instrument, extra picks, tuning device, wire cutters, peg winder, pad and pencil is handy to have, extra slide if you use one, and anything else that comes to mind when you're miles away at the gig and forgot something. You can even make a 'gear up' list and check it off prior to leaving for the venue.

If you don't use sheet music you might print out a small version of your setlist and tape it to the top bout of your guitar, facing you, for quick reference.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Don't forget batteries!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Stuff to always have:

2 sets of extra strings per instrument
screwdriver
wrench
graphite
wire cutters
extra batteries
cords for each mic and instrument
extra cords for each mic and instrument
paper, pens, pencils
earplugs
klenex
aspirin
stomach stuff (tums, etc.)
small first aid kit
mics, and a couple backups
instrument
backup instrument

Lots of people get to the "backup instrument" and balk. Don't. If you don't have one to start go for it anyway. But start thinking about getting one asap -- there's nothing quite so frustrating as being at a gig and having your guitar break in a way that won't let you continue with the gig. It does happen.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

In addition to stuff already listed:

-If using electronics: at least one heavy duty extension cord and a power strip -- d@mned outlets are never where you need 'em.
-instrument stands

Maybe less obvious:

-biz cards or the equivalent
-water or Gatorade and energy bars.
-change of clothes for those hot sweaty gigs or load-in
-gloves: for moving equipment if there's anything heavy. Not only to protect from scrapes and cuts, but nail breakage and drying out.
-towel
-red and black Sharpies. Can't tell you specifically why, but need one every time
-nail clipper and file
-velcro cord wraps and/or tie wraps

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

a good circuit tester is a must as well.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

a good circuit tester is a must as well.

Most of the musicians I know mistake these for tuners.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ciaran)
Eminent Member

-red and black Sharpies. Can't tell you specifically why, but need one every time

Pardon my stupidity, but red and black whats?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Pardon my stupidity, but red and black whats?
Sharpies. They are permenant markers. I always have atleast one on me at all times.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2