Clear all

Ever have a great guitar day?

16 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@wrkngclsshero)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm having one of those days today. I finished my to-do list for the day (some painting and grouting) and my wife is working her one mandatory one weekend-day a month at the hospital, so I am sitting by myself, watching wrestling I taped last night and futzing around with my Epi LP Special. When suddenly it clicked (at least sort of ). I can play bar chords (E and A shapes). I can change betwen them while strumming and while it's not perfect but darn it, it sounds almost right. Next I'm going to get my Taylor and see if I can do it with an acoustic.

I definately credit the good folks here and the tips I've read, so thanks to you all. I'm about to fix myself a good stiff Vodka tonic, and I will drink a quick toast to the guys on GN. Thanks for everything...I love Saturdays.

Hope your day is going as well as mine!!!!

"A working class hero is something to be..." -J. Lennon

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Wooo! That's the way to do it!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Oh, yeah, know that feeling. I have a guitar exam coming up next weekend for which I'm working real hard and I reckon I'm going to peak Thursday night - exactly the right time

I like it when it all comes together

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Way to go! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Congrats wrkngclsshero! Thanks for sharing. I hope to experience a day like that sometime soon.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well done, WCH! Just had a day like that myself - they used to be very few and far between, but seems like they're slightly more frequent now!

Don't you wish every day was Saturday!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Days like that are a great time to work on the things that are a little difficult for us. We're in a good, productive state of mind, which makes learning a little easier.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats wrkngclsshero on the progress!! :D

You know, you will see multiple posts here about players getting frustrated with their progress on guitar. That is completely normal, if you play guitar expect a lot of frustration, it is unavoidable. But be patient and just keep practicing and playing and it will all come together in time. Every guitar player experiences this.

When you first start you have more bad days than good days. But as you continue to play you will start to have more good days than bad. But you will always have that bad day on occasion, no matter how good you are and how long you've been practicing.

Even Tiger Woods hits the ball in the sand trap sometimes. :D

It is all part of the trip, enjoy the journey and congrats once again.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member

Congratualtions! Hopefully, you'll have many more.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Good one. :D

I particularly liked the description of "futzing around". I hadn't heard futzing before but it sounded good. So I Googled up this definition from Whatis?com:
futzing

Futzing or "futzing around" is unstructured, playful, often experimental interaction between a human being and a computer, product, or any technology, sometimes but not always with a productive purpose in mind. Futzing can be pure play, learning by trying, or an attempt to achieve breakthrough insights.

Sounds like you provided a perfect example of successful futzing in action. 8) And I now know that if anybody asks me what style I play or what my practice regime is, I can confidently reply - "Futzing"! :wink:

I could also relate to their 'alternative' definition of futzing:
Futzing may also be an amateur attempt to fix something that is not quite broken yet. A reader defines it as "the last thing you do with something just before it stops working anymore."

Been there, done that too.... :D

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Good one. :D

I particularly liked the description of "futzing around". I hadn't heard futzing before but it sounded good. So I Googled up this definition from Whatis?com:

Ah..Chris, you don't know what you've been missing. I've been futzing around my entire life. :wink: I consider myself to be a professional futzer. My mother was a futzer. We used to call her "mother...", well, you get what I mean.
You should futz around sometime. You'll love it. Its a way of life.

Edit: Sorry..forgot to say congrats to hero...Way to go man!! I love those days. Have a drink on me...forget about the tip, we'll get hell to pay!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Ah..Chris, you don't know what you've been missing. I've been futzing around my entire life. :wink: I consider myself to be a professional futzer. My mother was a futzer. We used to call her "mother...", well, you get what I mean.
You should futz around sometime. You'll love it. Its a way of life.

:D :D Where are those rolling around laughing smilies when you need them...

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

so tell me, are you making the E barre chord up on the 7th fret. the onbe where your ring finger is barring too.?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

Well futzed....good for you ! :D

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2