Feel like I am in college again

16 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Please nobody post the answer to what I am fixing to say. I wanted to say that up front because I know how helpful you guys are, and I really need to figure this out on my own. Just kind of ranting.

I went to my lesson this week and we talked about modes. We talked about how to figure out what key a song was in, and how that fit into the structure of the song. So my homework for this week is to take the key of C and figure out a three or four chord progression that are in the different modes. (Ionian, Dorian, etc)

I thought I had it when I left but as music lessons go, I usually forget most of what was talked about after a day or so.

And its not like in school where I can just tell him, well, I had it but my dog ate it on the way here. :D

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@Anonymous)

This sin't an answer to your problem because I have no clue! But Way back when when I tried taking lessons I brought a small tape player to record the lessons. Plus many teachers who teach out of a music store keep tape decks in their rooms and students only have to bring a blank tape...

Nowadays of course you would probably bring an iPod!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Another idea would be to take a small note book and pen/pencil.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Another idea would be to take a small note book and pen/pencil.

True but then you can't hear the teacher playing what you are trying to learn...

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Not sure why you'd post if you don't want an answer :? Seems like you should be studying instead of wasting your time chatting 8) Good luck I'm sure we can point you in the right direction when you need it.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

True but then you can't hear the teacher playing what you are trying to learn...

True, but......
I usually forget most of what was talked about after a day or so.

:wink:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, if we are just ranting, then I think gasoline prices are too high. :roll:

I'm glad you don't want an answer, because I can't figure out modes either.

When you figure it out, how about teaching me. :P

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Not sure why you'd post if you don't want an answer :? Seems like you should be studying instead of wasting your time chatting 8) Good luck I'm sure we can point you in the right direction when you need it.

True, I dont know why either. Out of frustration I suppose.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I'll give you a hint...geoo, if you don't wanna read this don't.

the second mode of the Major scale starts on the second note...for instance, in C, the second mode starts on D and follows the same pattern...the third mode starts on the third note...

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Jason

Actually, at this point I dont think it would be cheating to get a few more hints. Yours didnt ring any bells for me, even though I do appreciate the effort.

Maybe I should have started this thread in Theory

From what I understand, if I am in the key of C and I wanted my song to be based around Ionian then the progression should be able to end with a C. If I am in the key of C and my song is based around Dorian then my progression would end with a D and so on. But what boggles my mind, is I dont know what progressons to come up with so that it ends with the chord it should.

I'm thinking that me and my teacher are going to have to go round 2 on this lesson.

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Modal harmonies can be tough things to grasp, and a lot of folks who think they've got 'em don't.

So here's my hint:

In any key you've naturally got only one dominant 7th, the V7 chord. The V7-I cadence is what really drives our ears towards the tonic... but in a mode, the dominant seventh doesn't fall on V - so avoid using the dominant seventh chord entirely in your progressions :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

think about it this way...

If you're in the key of D...the dorian would start on an E...the scale goes

D E F# G A B C#
the dorian mode goes

E F# G A B C# D

Chord progressions, have the following guidelines (there are substitutions of course I don't know much about that though yet.)
I = major
II = minor7
III = minor7
IV = major
V = dominant7
VI = minor (known also as the relative minor)
VII = diminished

I'm thinking that's a pretty huge hint :D I just started learning about modes so if I'm wrong someone please correct me...don't wanna give out false info.

This diagram might help for general understanding of modes:
C Major Scale:

1. Ionian C D E F G A B C (major scale)
2 Dorian----D E F G A B C D(2nd mode)
3 Phrygian----E F G A B C D E (3rd mode)
4 Lydian---------F G A B C D E F(4th mode)
5 Mixolydian------G A B C D E F G (5th mode)
6 Aeolian------------A B C D E F G A (6th mode)
7 Locrian---------------B C D E F G A B (7th mode)

and of course 8 is the octave. The parallels are for instance...a dorian scale that starts on C ( that makes it in the key of Bb major) is a parallel to the second mode of the C Major scale (or a dorian scale that starts on D)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Tom and Jason. I felt some flickers of light just go off, without actually writing out progressions for me.

I remember now my teacher telling me something to effect of not writing a progresson for Locrian, because there arent any.. LOL I dont think he meant it literally but that it basically would just confuse me. With your comment I now understand the why of that.

ok.. I think I am good now.

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I edited my post ot include a diagram that sort of ties it all together...if you're a visual learned it'll help.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So if I can trouble you one step further just to make sure I am on the right trail.

Key of C for Dorian I could use a I - V - ii progression. Actually, it sounds a bit like "Knocking on heavens door". Am I on the right path?

Geoo

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2