Skip to content
Frustrated, Frustra...

Notifications
Clear all

Frustrated, Frustrated, FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!

35 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
(@soundsgood)
Trusted Member

i can relate to what you are going through,almost 20 yrs ago i punched a set of florescent lights when i was drunk(very dumb anyways)i severed a tendon in my wrist for my pinky finger but down on the wrist,at first i had a hard time bending my wrist back,it took a long timemaybe a year or longer but your tendon will stretch but the scar tissue is stiff so be patient.i work with my hands and my doc didn't tell me to take it easy use it.it sounds like your trying to rush things,to this day the back of my hand has numbness.i was drumming when i had my accident wasn't into guitar yet and i was freaked out about losing mobilty.hope everything works out for you 8)

gibsonSG standard/gallagher"doc watson" acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Vic,

I think it is amazing, given the extent of your injury, that you're already doing so much. I know it doesn't always seem like it, but you really are winning this battle.

Scar tissue can be a major pain in the buttock. It's been close to 25 years since my arm went through the window, and I've still managed to RIP scar tissue when playing. Unfortunatley, that's something you'll just have to deal with as it happens, but it too will get better with time. What was once excruciating will become relatively normal.

As for doing your therapy so many times per day -- remember that your finger is still healing. You have to give it rest time too. More isn't always better.

As for the music . . . just keep going after it.

Maybe not being able to barre is going to be your trademark! There's a TON of chords out there that aren't barre forms. Play around with them and see where they get you.

One of my favorite chord forms for chunking along with a blues tune is this guy:

C7
--X--
--X--
--3--
--2--
--3--
--X--

You can move that thing all over the guitar and it sounds pretty darn good.

Also, go listen to some Django. I'll send you my favorites if you'll give me a place to send 'em :)

Even if it's not your kind of music -- he's an inspiration to us dexterially gimped guitarits :0

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Vic, just to let you know that I understand your frustration, and wish you all the best - don't you give up, d'you hear me?

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

still pulling for ya buddy, keep on chooglin'

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

And try to be patient. It sounds like you're right on track with your recovery but you want to find a way to balance your determination with patience so that you don't rush it. It will take time but you'll get there.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And there was Django...

Keep at it, Vic. Things won't ever be quite the same, but you'll figure out ways to play music you'll enjoy.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

Ever thought about learning to play left handed? If you already know all the theory, you could progress very quickly.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Hey Vic, I know its frustrating, but hang in there :D I knew a guy that had his 2 middle fingers bitten off by a pig when he was young. All he had on his left hand was a thumb, index finger and little finger. He was one of the best guitar players I have ever heard :D Also, what kingpatzer said about over doing it is good advice.keep on going, you will get better!--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I was going to suggest the left-hand idea as well.

And keep in mind that while it is frustrating and all, playing music should be fun. I know you don't want to hear that - but it is true. If you just let yourself go and play what you can play you'll find that you will improve faster.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I know the last thing you probably want to hear is another "war" story.

Back in my early 20's (NO, the dinosaurs were gone by then :evil: ) I was in a snow skiing accident.

I twisted without breaking, both my knees to the point I couldn't walk or bend them for more than a few weeks. I was out of work and could only sit. If I had to move, I would have to sit on the floor and use my hands to slide backwards. Going up the stairs to the only bathroom in the house was a feat within itself. I couldn't even leave my home. (No insurance at the time so couldn't even afford to go to the doctor)

Regardless, my band was still playing and needed me to drum. I literally was carried onto the stage and would hobble to my drum throne, play my set and hobble to the back of the stage and sit on the stairs until the next set. This went on for a few months. Eventually my knees loosened up enough that today all I have to show for it is popping and crackling noises when I bend them.

Man that was a bad time for me. I hope you get better soon, Vic.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

If not, you could always take up drums. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Vic, I know the feeling a few years ago I tore my ACl when I was playing basketball and it's really taken me almost two yeasrs to get back to almost normal. Not sure it will ever be 100% but at least I can play again.

I've played sports all my life and the past couple years have been very frustrating in not being able to do that.

Stick with it I think you'kk be OK in the end it's just going to be frustrating for awhile, don't try and stress to much and don't over do the PT. KP is right you need to let the finger rest to heal.

Good luck ....have you ever thought about playing the guitar the oppsosite way..I know it would be difficult but maybe it's an altrernative.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Hey Vic, I know its frustrating, but hang in there :D I knew a guy that had his 2 middle fingers bitten off by a pig when he was young. Bit off by a pig? By a pig? Where in hades do you meet people who have had parts bit off by pigs?

This may sound a bit off Vic, but as you're having so many issues playing with the injured hand have you thought about switching to playing lefty? Even if you were to never gain the use back of your middle finger it would not you strumming with that hand

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Vic, so sorry to hear about your finger! While I'm sure it is very frustrating, keep in mind that patience is needed. You didn't learn guitar overnight and unfortunately your body doesn't heal overnight either. So keep at it, keep positive, and keep getting back on that horse! :)

Cheers!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hey Vic, I know its frustrating, but hang in there I knew a guy that had his 2 middle fingers bitten off by a pig when he was young. All he had on his left hand was a thumb, index finger and little finger. He was one of the best guitar players I have ever heard

So that's where this came from:

m/

Sorry, just had to do that. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3