Clear all

Happy discovery

25 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@iraesq)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

It's been a good "guitar" week for this beginner (6 months and counting) and just wanted share with people who actually could appreciate it. Not only did I buy my first "nice" solid-wood acoustic (Epiphone Masterbilt DR500m), but last night I discovered I actually have developed a callus on my pinky!!!! I felt almost giddy....the little guy is getting enough of a workout these days that it decided to join its three big brothers. :D

Am I alone or have other actually felt excited about a dumb pinky callus?

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Am I alone or have other actually felt excited about a dumb pinky callus?

Just alone in the fact you admitted it. LOL Just teasing.. I felt the same way.. I still run my thumb across it every now and then just to notice it. Great feeling huh and CONGRATS on the purchase. Pictures?

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

You are going to love that new guitar! I played every guitar in that price range and some higher and I kept coming back to that Epi!!
congratulations!

Here's a picture of mine! Let's see yours :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

6 months and a masterbuilt already?

Gotta get that job... Mowing lawns ain't cuttin' it no more. :)

And congrats on the pinky. Developing all 4 fingers on your fret hand is crucial.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

yeah i've been playing for about a year and a half and i'm pretty good
(so people say) and i haven't dveloped a callus yet...so congrats.

side note:if i haven't developed a callus yet does that mean i'm not playing enough?help

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@iraesq)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'll post a picture of the Masterbilt this weekend...the woodwork is very appealing and I really like that I can smell the mahogany when I play (I think I've got a problem).

Dnukom...Thanks for the input on the guitar last week before I made the leap. It was helpful.

Hawkfoggy....I'm sure you are playing plenty if you're impressing others after 18 months. The elusive pinky callus will come with time I'm sure.

The calluses are great for guitar playing, but are difficult to get used to with other things in my life. For example, the diminished sense of touch in my fingertips have made my typing sloppier, make it harder to turn book pages and the hardened skin bugs my wife in all the wrong ways (gotta keep it clean on this board). That said, I have a great fondness for those layers of dead skin....they're like a badge of honor.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

HAHA! My wife has also complained about my "sandpaper-fingers"!

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

:roll:

You guys... :wink:

I find that if you take some extreamly fine grit sandpaper, like the black kind, you can smooth those tips out enough to make them feel like before on the outside, just harder. But yea, the loss of sensation is a bit annoying.

But its all part of the deal.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

ok wait . this is a total noob question but who cares...when you say you have a callus you meen you have developed it in your fingers and it's there to stay right? cuz my fingers skin is as dead as jimi hendrix(hoping not to be ofensive)
GIT SNAKE BIT

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

For example, the diminished sense of touch in my fingertips have made my typing sloppier, make it harder to turn book pages and the hardened skin bugs my wife in all the wrong ways (gotta keep it clean on this board). That said, I have a great fondness for those layers of dead skin....they're like a badge of honor.

I think its a personal thing because mine were that way too.. but then gradually they smoothed out. Now they are tougher than before but I can feel the keyboard again and as long as I havent just finished playing, my girlfriend doesnt mind being rubbed with them.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@iraesq)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Okay, here's the new DR500m, along with my fat strat.....

[/img]

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Looks good!

I'm a sucker for white binding...

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Here's mine again with my Fender:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congratulations

A blistered and calloused finger is a happy finger. Just ask MisterFinger himself:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Fingers also like to be pulled.

Do not, I repeat, do not pull this finger.

Mr. Finger

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2