Clear all

How long do active pickups last?

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
11.8 K Views
(@grunge00125)
Topic starter  

So I have been looking for a high end shred guitar, and I've noticed that most guitar companies(other than ibanez) use EMG active pickups for their higher end guitars. Now active pickups are great and all but I've recently found out that they require 9 volts(or something called "Phantom Power" which ive never even heard of). So i'm just wondering: How long do these batteries last? Because i just simply will not have the money to constantly buy batteries for my guitar and for some reason ibanez guitars go from like low end, $100-$500 guitars then jump to like $1500 and im lookin somewhere between $500-$1000. So yeah how long do the batteries last?

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

You had me fooled there - how long to the pickups last - a very long time I hope because we invest alot in them. :roll:

It depends on how much you use them, then the flip side is that it is not cool to let them sit idle either. :shock:

Now where are we? Up to a year, 6 months maybe. Gotta keep a spare Energizer in your pocket. :lol:

Anyhow, for passive pickups, don't forget Gibson Dirty Fingers or Seymour Duncan's Invader.

But I went a little Zakk Wylde. Here's my jackhammer.....

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Excuse me :D, I got a nice Ibanez which is priced right now at 1000 or maybe 900 xD, well the last time I saw it anyway, but I think they got discontinued, but I'm sure they have one at that price out there now O_O

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@fibaz)
Eminent Member

Because i just simply will not have the money to constantly buy batteries for my guitar

I've had the same battery in my clapton for a year and a half now. I don't play it everday and I never leave it plugged up so that extends the life quite a bit. I go through 9v batteries in my pedals like a 455 rocket big block guzzles gas. But last time I picked some 9v batteries up I just went to Wal-mart (shudder) and picked up a 10 pack for 11 bucks, of course they aren't Duracell or Energizer but they give juice.

You could always get something and add active pick ups to it. It's a project but that's half the fun.
for some reason ibanez guitars go from like low end, $100-$500 guitars then jump to like $1500 and im lookin somewhere between $500-$1000. So yeah how long do the batteries last?

Keep an eye open on craigslist, music shops, ebay, other musicians, you are bound to find a deal. It's when you can't wait is when it gets a bit more expensive usually. I found an all wood high end washburn that retails for 1200 in a music shop and got it for 424 out the door because it sat there for a year. Granted it wasn't my first choice but the price was better than the Taylor I had been pawing at. Keep your ears open and just keep looking. Maybe someone on GN is parting ways with one. :wink: Or see if Coolnama can reveal his source :)

Good luck finding that axe.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

LOL actually I got it from sum 1 at 670 ( was worth like 1200 atm and its modded :D ) best is to get used I think , no set up required ( most of the time) and cheaper.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

Sorry, I like passive pups (yeah, yeah, I know - I'm the odd guy out :oops: ) :)

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
(@fibaz)
Eminent Member

Sorry, I like passive pups (yeah, yeah, I know - I'm the odd guy out :oops: ) :)

i'm a believer in both. it's good to get more bite once in a while. :D

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

i'm a believer in both. it's good to get more bite once in a while. :D

Yeah, I guess it's good to have active pups if the natural tone of the guitar isn't good. My theory is if the guitar has a good tone acoustically - passive. If the woods aren't the best and sounds a bit dull acoustically - active.

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
(@grunge00125)
Topic starter  

You had me fooled there - how long to the pickups last - a very long time I hope because we invest alot in them. :roll:

It depends on how much you use them, then the flip side is that it is not cool to let them sit idle either. :shock:

Now where are we? Up to a year, 6 months maybe. Gotta keep a spare Energizer in your pocket. :lol:

Anyhow, for passive pickups, don't forget Gibson Dirty Fingers or Seymour Duncan's Invader.

But I went a little Zakk Wylde. Here's my jackhammer.....

you didn't even answer my question. and i really don't care much for les pauls :P

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

ditto, they are heavy as hell.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

As I said very clearly, the battery will last 6 months to a year, and not the pickup. It might last forever, we hope.

There's an answer for you, any time, any day, any week, any forum. But hey yeah, it wasn't what you asked, was it?

I add extra caution from years of experience, no big deal, but if you care, don't just leave the batteries sitting there, they might damage your expensive equipment, with corrosion, and they can die before you need them again.

Furthermore, keep a spare as I advise in a friendly manner, like a doormat who gets feet wiped on him and says "Welcome" - okay so keep the extra Energizer, because they seem to last longest, and you'll need it if your in a gig or a jam. :shock:

Our good friend with the Eric Clapton does not have active pickups and the 9V in that model is used only for pre-amp or boost, referred to a +25 db active boost. That uses the power at the different rate, but I'm sure that all advice given with good intentions is appreciated. I would thank him for his contribution - yeah, some people care, other's don't. :roll:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@fibaz)
Eminent Member

Our good friend with the Eric Clapton does not have active pickups and the 9V in that model is used only for pre-amp or boost, referred to a +25 db active boost. That uses the power at the different rate, but I'm sure that all advice given with good intentions is appreciated. I would thank him for his contribution - yeah, some people care, other's don't. :roll:

I stand corrected. Thanks for the information Blue Jay. I knew there was the TBX boost, but thought that just tapped off a active pick up circuit vs a pre-amp. But this is why I am don't touch anything under the pickguards. :lol: I appreciate it. There is always something to learn from this forum.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Another important factor (I was told) that will prolong the life of the 9V battery is unplugging the cable from the guitar when you are not using it. Plugging the cord into the jack is what "activates" EMG active pups.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Phantom Power - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power

Blue Jay was spot on to tell you that the battery life depends on how much you use it.

As for how long the pickups will last.......it depends on whether you drop your guitar down a huge flight of stairs in the 1st week of owning it or the 1111st week of owning it.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Changing batteries is a drag isn't it ?

Isn't there some kinda ACtive/passive pickup ?

Or couldn't you have one or two active and one passive ?

Because you have to remove the strings to change batteries right ?

Could you imagine Floyd Rose bridge + Active pickup ?

That'd be a total PITA ^_^

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2