Clear all

how long, what music, what guitar...

117 Posts
46 Users
0 Likes
14.6 K Views
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I've been actually playing/learning guitar since ... (glances over at my signup date) about Jan 2006. :shock:

But I've had this guitar

for over 20 years. I bought it in a second hand shop back then, and tried to learn to play it for a few weeks, then put it in the closet and forgot about it for a while.
Several moves (and a marriage, and a couple of kids...) later, I was helping my son with his kindergarten level piano lessons, and I dug out that old guitar to have another shot at learning (with the help of "Guitar for Dummies).

I still don't practice enough, but I've stuck with it. And I've added a cheap pawn shop fixer-upper acoustic to my collection.

Oh, and I don't think I'll buy Guitar Hero, but I might get this music game if it ever gets released. :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

all right, pictures. 8)

I have been keeping a tally of years we have behind our guitars.
it is over 350 years now.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Now it's 351.3 years

How long:
Started in September of 2007 . . .

Guitar:
with a starter kit that had a Strat. But I gave that to my son.
and changed to an Ibanez GAX (Guitar AX)
Also got a Schechter Hellraiser but the Ibanez is my favorite.

Music:
Rock, Country fried rock, Country/Folk, Most of the popular music of the 60's, 70's and 80's.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

thanks kenrodgers, I was getting tired of counting.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I have been keeping a tally of years we have behind our guitars.
it is over 350 years now.
The numbers are the number of years! :!:

I was trying to guess what was the meaning. I had several hypothesis but I never thought it was the years. Good idea! It is a kind of "experience measurement" of GN.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

yes, Nuno. I was keeping track of the years. there is a lot of cumulative experience on this forum.
cool.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

yes, Nuno. I was keeping track of the years. there is a lot of cumulative experience on this forum.
cool.

Yeah, I wonder what the total cumulative years playing would add up to of the ENTIRE forum?

Im my case though, it's a bit misleading - it's about 35 years since I first learned a few chords, but in that time I've probably been playing guitar for about 17 years altogether. There was a spell between about '86 and '96 I didn't even own a guitar - only took it up again because my daughter wanted to learn and I knew a few chords. Been playing pretty much since then, but it's only since I joined GN I've really taken it seriously.

If I was to count all the guitars I've had in that time?

Best I can remember;

3 X Nylon-strung acoustics;
7 X 6-string acoustics;
1 x 12-string acoustic;
11 X electrics;
and 2 X basses, for a grand total of 24 - I still have six of them, two electrics, two acoustics, one nylon-strung acoustic and a bass.

I've also owned one keyboard, currently own five harmonicas (I've had about 10 altogether) and have had about half-a-dozen recorders over the years.

Of all those guitars, far and away the one I love the most is the white Tele in my avatar; I've had that about 18 months now, and it's probably been played more than any other guitar - probably been played as much as ALL the other guitars put together!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

wow. what a coincidence. I had a period where I had no instrument. same years as yours, except in 95' I got a great job and had the money to get my dream baby guitar. an american strat plus. three color sunburst with Gold Lace Sensor pickups. at the same time I bought a small amp . it was a 1958 Gibson. really nice sound. between 95' and last year I have found moore and more stringed instruments in my house. mainly guitars and laps steels, and a few nice acoustics. ukuleles are littered about. :lol:
I am having some much fun.

the cumulative years of experience on this whole forum would be counted in centuries . 8) 8) 8)

ReplyQuote
(@moresco)
Eminent Member

Hey everyone.

I've been playing guitar for about fifteen-sixteen years or so now. I believe it was around '93 or so that I started playing. I discovered guitar through a friend. We both were big Metallica fans at the time, and I remember my friend's step-dad had bought them a guitar just to be a cool, hip, new step-dad. My buddy of course was playing and playing, trying to stamp out that intro riff from One. He kept trying and trying, and I vividly remember the feeling, and the almost uncanny natural feel of it as I finally got to try it out. I played the riff perfectly, and everyone was stunned, myself most of all....

Skip ahead, skip ahead. I'm pleading with my parents to get me a guitar, the answer was no for a long time. I never gave up, and I think about four or five months down the road I was permitted to rent a guitar. My parents didn't think I'd stick with it. We ended up with this white Peavey Strat that had 11's on it. Of course I played that thing relentlessly, never ever put it down. Ten hours a day in front of the television, just picking a chromatic exercise, until my fingers hurt so bad that I couldn't even hold a pencil. It was awesome.

On Xmas, I think 94, I finally got my own guitar. A black Epiphone Explorer (remember, I was a big Metallica fan...). It wasn't the Gibson, but it definitely would do. From there I transitioned to bands like Megadeth and Exodus, so the Jackson DX2 (I believe that's the one...can't recall) was next on the list. I think it had some kind of purple swirly nonsense going on, floating bridge, you know.

I don't have those guitars these days, now I just have a Silvertone Strat that I rarely play, and a Takamine acoustic that I have come to favor.

Anyway, I already mentioned growing up playing metal, in fact we had a Metallica/Megadeth cover band that was a lot of fun for a while there. These days I stick to various styles of progressive rock. I'm a big fan of bands like Three, Davenport Cabinet, and Coheed and Cambria. Mostly because they play music that is closely similar to my own, as the constant comparison is what led me to discover that bands like that even existed. Besides those more modern bands, I was always a huge fan of Thin Lizzy, the Police, or bands such as Rush etc.

Well that about answers it. =D

-Brent
theRedPress

ReplyQuote
(@bobby-j)

I can add a few years to the tally. I started playing around 1970 when I was 8. My parents bought me a Telecaster Custom (I really wanted that fancy green one at Woolworths with all the buttons, Now I glad they didn't listen). First band when I was 16, playing top 40, then played metal, then blues, then put it away and raised a family (still played & wrote at home). Started a band a couple of years ago playing the top 40 stuff I used to play but now it's called oldies. I am having more fun than ever.

ReplyQuote
(@bebop)

How Long:

This was something I always wanted to try, but for some reason never did. One of my friends has played for 20yrs and another friend just picked it up. Both are at different levels but really love the instrument. I played brass instruments all through jr/sr high and even read music. No help with this though. So anyway, I'm 49 now and got a $300 Yamaha acoustic for Christmas '08 and have not been able to put the thing down. Taking some group lessons to keep the bad habits in check and reading up on music theory when I'm having trouble sleeping.

What Music:

Being a product of the 70's, I'm loving picking up the stuff I grew up with like Eagles, Clapton, America. Neil Young, Bob Marley, Fleetwood Mac.

What Guitar:

New Yamaha 730S solid top acoustic. Don't know how great a guitar it is really, but the action is not too bad and I am able to do a few barre chords on it now. Someday when I can actually play music and am sure I'll be doing this for ever, I'll go try out a nice guitar. I don't see why people bother trying to buy something nice before they can even play well enough to tell if it's any good.

-BeBop Bob-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I don't see why people bother trying to buy something nice before they can even play well enough to tell if it's any good.

Because it's easier to learn on a good instrument than a bad one. A guitar that feels good in your hands and which you enjoy playing will obviously get used more than a cheap guitar with a high action and poor intonation.

In my case, I'd wanted a guitar for years - my mum finally bought me one for my 17th birthday. A cheap, no-name nylon-strung acoustic; I wanted an electric guitar, I wanted to ROCK! It put me off learning properly for years - I hated the guitar, so it rarely got played.

I'm not suggesting to anyone to go out and buy a top-of-the-line Martin to learn on - but a better instrument will make you a better player. You want guitar playing to be a pleasure, not a chore.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

I got my first real guitar in 1986 a Yamaha Se 150 red-actually a few years before i started learning on a Gretch loaned to me by my uncle but lessons didn't last long.In 86 I took lessons for about 6 months and then bought videos and magazines and copied friends to learn other stuff.I learned almost everything KISS ever recorded and used to Jam KISS tunes with my friends after school in their basement-Gave up guitar completely in 93 or 94 untill about 99 when i had a neighbor who was in a cover band I had the itch to go get another guitar-I remember I went out and bought a Fender Strat-Bought a slew of dvds and found internet sites like this one to help(That helped the most)-I Played in a few crappy bands -have had MANY guitars come and go -Still trying to buy back that original Strat from my friend :lol:
and now I just mostly record over the internet with some friends-My kids are learning to play now-I have a drummer and a singer--here come the Partridge Family!! :D
I have gone through a ton of guitars and I am definitely a Strat man! 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

About 5-6 yrs now, still stink but stink less..unless you ask the wife she has a real way of deflating the ego..Mostly play my Strat because it feels better but also have a Jackson DNKY and a Epiphone SG.

Really not happy with the Strat/Fender sound that's why I need to start playing the Jackson more and maybe look at getting a Marshall amp or something less bright.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 8