Clear all

How old is 'too' old to 'make it' ?

36 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey all, I just joined on here at guitarnoise, to what seems to me to be a great community :D .

I was just curious on what everyones opinion was on how old is too old to make it in the music business?

I am a guitarist of about 12 years, and am 26 years old. After lots of soul searching, music seems to be what I really want to do with my life, but it just feels to me like I haven't done much with the last 10 years of my life. I consider myself a fairly talented guitarist, which confuses me even more cause I don't know why I haven't done anything with that at all.

So, is there anyone big in music these days, that didnt start till a bit later in life? Should I still go for it? I feel like the first time in a long time I actually have the courage and ambition to go forward with it...

Many animals were harmed in the making of this signature.

(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

26 years old

Looking for guitarists that started a little later in life? You have got to be kidding.

If you have the ambition and the drive - go for it.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

There was one of the great blues guitarists who dies during 2005 who didn't start out until he was ancient.

Can't remember his name though.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

^RL Burnside?

There's lots of other stuff besides talent which can weigh into whether or not someone makes it. You have John Mayer who's young and pretty talented, then you have all those underground shred geniuses who nobody on the street would recognize because instrumental shred is not a mainstream genre; marketing has more to do with success these days than talent, or so it seems like on occasion. Thats not a knock at all against Mayer, I have lots of respect for his abilities, but you can see what I'm saying....

Besides there are plenty of professional musicians who make a living playing the club circuit, owning a studio, instruction, whatever the case may be. Good luck!

M

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@fiskep)
Trusted Member

This is one of my favorite topics.....not the age part but "made it". To everyone this is defined differently - does made it me world tours, money, fame, etc. or does "made it" mean being happy, doing what you love. You need to define made it. Is 26 to old - of course not! If you're looking to be on MTV (do they still play music) maybe 26 isn't the 'image' they are looking for. After all many times it far more about the look than the sound for modern pop music.

But if you are a great player can you get a studio gig, do some touring, work your ass off and make a decent living - certainly. What about teaching? Does made it include sharing your gift with others and helping them be the best they can be?

Time to get honest with yourself, decide what you want to do and go do it. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the responses so far :D .

I think generally to me 'made it' would be defined as playing to large audiences of people. I don't need to be on MTV 8) , but I would prefer to at least have some people like my music, possibly some radio play , and tours. Hell even if a large group of people hate my music, that is cool with me, just as long as I am doing something on a larger scale :D .

I look at a band like Rush, who are all very talented people, and have never had a music video (at least none that I recall...), play to large arenas of people, and genuinely love what they do. I could see myself doing something like that for the next 20-30 years...

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I'm sure it is possible. However, I would think it would be easier to make it as a session player. All of those guys behind the scenes who play for the CD in the studio.

Regardless, if that's your passion than the only one holding you back is yourself.

I say give it a go.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

I would start writing/revising your songs today. If you haven't already. You will want as much practice at songwriting as you can get.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You are young...there are a couple of 50 years olds outta here..who are learning.

Welcome to GN (and i am only 18 8) )

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Record some stuff, get a page on myspace and see if people will like it.

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

(and i am only 18 8) )

Rahul

That won't last forever buddy. :)

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Actually thats the sad part, is I have been writing songs for about 12 years as well. I also write lyrics and sing as well, and im not too bad at the bass or drums either, so I have a few tracks I have recorded with my home studio equipment. I am not sure if its pleasing to anyone else but me =), but I am certainly experienced with music in just about all forms.

Like Crank-In-Jam said, I think the only thing holding me back is me :D

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I will be 55 next month. I cant believe it.
Ive been rocking all my life.

I just bought a resonator guitar last fall. I am learning fast.

Ive got a gig next weekend. and plan on recording soon.

for me, Im just getting started yet again.

so if music is your passion, like it is for me, then follow it. my life has been rich and full. Ive had good times and horrible times. Ive lived my life the way I wanted to.
so if that is making it, then I have.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

My advice -- forget doing anything for the purpose of having a lot of people notice.

In my experience, those people who make their choices to garner attention don't generally have any lasting value as artists or human beings for that matter.

If you want to play music. Play your music. Work hard at perfecting your vision. Work hard at making your shows match your dream. And you'll probably end up being happy and paying your bills. . . but only if your goal is to be true to yourself.

If your goal is to "do something on a large scale" you'll likely be either rich and bored or poor and disappointed. Frankly, I don't think either of those is where I want to be.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

kingpatzer, you probably put it into better words then I did. I love writing music, and I think alot of what I write has a powerful message, but yes, first and foremost would be writing my music and recording it. Having people love/hate it, is just icing on the cake :D.

Playing a few large shows here and there would be nice, but having one person come up to me and say "Hey, your music has totaly inspired me" or "that song you wrote made me think differently about things", would certainly make my life feel more worthwhile.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3