Clear all

I bought it!

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

It's a Seagull S6, solid cedar top, satin finish, wild cherry back and sides, ect. I bought it used for $250. The neck profile is great, BTW. It goes from a soft V near the neck to a nice round C closer to the body. It did have some crack repair in the top on the lower bout, but it sounded just as good as the new ones in the shop.

I have about $2,200 sitting around. I played some high end Martins and was completely unimpressed by their surprisingly thin tone. I found one Takamine for $580 and a Gibson Hummingbird that I liked, but for the price this little Seagull is wondeful. Highly recomended if anyone is wondering.

It does look like it's used, but that didn't put me off at all. I'll get a sound clip up later. Here's some piccys in the meantime:

Group shot:

Yamaha acoustic, MIM Fender Strat, and the new Seagull.

Also my Ramen noodle supply. Gotta pay for it all somehow. :P

Sound!: Random Junk

-Metaellihead

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hey, good luck with it. Used is good..

Between Romen noodles and the saltines (in the background) you should be able to save for just about anything.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hey, nice one. Looks like a beauty. :D

I bought one last week too.

Same deal, played lots of others. Liked a few but loved the Seagull.

That's mine on the right. Maybe we could get a breeding program going? Looks like we could mate all 3 and sell the pups! 8)

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'm a big Seagull fan. I don't own one currently, but it's only Friday.

I recently got rid of a Seagull Folk Artist here at the swap meet. Very nice, but couldn't keep up with the Collings OM1A. Then again, it isn't supposed to.

Nice guitars gents.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Congrats!!! Didn't you talk about that one before? Didn't know if you should buy it?

Now if you want fresh underwear and socks for the morning, you better go do your laundry. :P

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

NICE, congrats, looks like a beaut.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Congrats!!! Didn't you talk about that one before? Didn't know if you should buy it?

Now if you want fresh underwear and socks for the morning, you better go do your laundry. :P
Yeah, that's the one. I've been stalking it for over a month.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very nice guitars guys. I'm saving for a Seagull also. At first I was just going to get the S6, but then I figured I needed a cut-away, and pre-amp, so need alittle more $.
Chris, what model did you get? Also, I like how you have the pics of Metaellihead's guitars on your computer in the background! :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Chris, what model did you get? Also, I like how you have the pics of Metaellihead's guitars on your computer in the background! :wink:

Well spotted!

I read Mataellihead's post and the camera was on the shelf next to me, and the guitars close at hand, so I thought I'd set up a rough copy of his pic, seeing as we have similar guitars. :wink:

Mine's an S6+ CW with the LR Baggs Duet II electrics. I could have got the Quantum II electrics, but the LR Baggs was supposedly a bit better (I don't actually know if that's true, as I didn't play them in the same shop and might not have been good enough to tell the difference anyway. Both sounded OK).

The QII had a soundhole mic on a little flexible neck thingie, whereas you can't see the equivalent mic on mine. You can still balance between the two pickups though, or just run with one. A few more knobs and levers on the Baggs one. 8)

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Chris,

That S6+CW is the one I've been looking at too. Not sure which set of electronics it had though. I didn't know they had more than one. Hmm... more options... :wink:

As far as the pic, you're a photographic artist man! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Nice guitar. Used is good abused is not. I wish I had the oportunity to play a few Seagulls when I was shopping acoustics. Everyone on these boards thinks the world of them. No problem, my gas days are long from over, just on hold for a few months.

I love playing the acoustic. No cables or amps to fiddle with. Just pick it up and go. I also think it makes you a better guitarist, in terms of technique. Been studiously working on finger picking blues the past few weeks.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

Nice guitars those segulls, my friend has a s&p pro, 3 piece maple back, solid spruce top, adn the ibeam duet i think, but it sounded awesome, i thought i read somewhere that it was supposedly rivaling Taylors ES system, but i doubt that, the ES i think is awesome.

Mikey

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I played around with a 12-string seagull in a music store. Sounded fantastic....even with me behind it. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Congrats, it looks like a great guitar, I've been GASing for an acoustic lately, I might try to check out a couple of Seagulls.

I noticed that we have the same strat Metaellihead, it's great isn't it?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Oh nice ones they are.But seriously my votes always go for the classical guitars (now i am being biased :oops: )

Alright the pic session is to be completed by the sound clips and chris , you have got a neat study in your home :D

Rahul

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2