Clear all

I got a new guitar!

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I got pretty lucky this holiday season. I received a very nice bonus from work which was completely unexpected (first one ever).

I don't get many chances to pick up nice gear so I headed down to Guitar Center. I looked at many guitars. I tried some Les Paul Studios but really didn't like the feel. I know they have wonderful tone, but they just aren't very playable to me, especially up high. Plus, they are expensive!

But then I saw it. A beautiful vintage white Fender American Telecaster with black pickguard. I've always loved Teles, so I plugged it into a Fender DeVille 2 X 12 and fired it up. Wow, just about the best clean tone I have ever heard. I mean just awesome. And the quality was outstanding. I looked it over from top to bottom and didn't find a single flaw. The neck played like butter. Low action, no buzz anywhere. I was hooked. So I left the store with my new baby.

I don't have a digital camera and trying to find a pic was harder than I thought. But I found this one. The colors are right, except mine has the silver Fender logo on the headstock instead of the black shown here. And of course mine looks brand new. And I got a case, not a gig-bag.

But anyway, I am pretty stoked.

Fender American Telecaster

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Oh-ho, man! You SHOULD be stoked!!!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Enjoy the new baby, Wes.

BTW, how does the sound of this one compare the that of the Squire Tele?

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Greg

You know I've always talked highly of my Squier Tele. It is a VERY good guitar, especially considering the low price. I have and would recommend Squiers to anybody, at least the standard line and upward. I don't know about the Affinitys. I have always been able to get close to the true Tele twang with my Squier, but not quite. What I do love about the Squier is that it is my bad-boy guitar. It gets great slightly overdriven tones. It is my down and dirty guitar!

I really haven't spent much time playing this Fender with overdrive and distortion because the clean tone just knocks me out. It will of course get the true twang. But it just gets the best clean tones in all 3 switch positions. It is warm and jazz-like at the neck position. The middle is just perfect clean, and the bridge is a little brighter with more bite. That is where you get the twang. What I really love is that it is not harsh when playing the 6th string clean if you know what I mean. It is a round sound.

I will get a chance to play it through my HRD Thursday. I'll write back and tell you what I think of it with distortion at high volume.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Niiice acquisition, Wes. That thing looks sweet as heck.

Just out of curiosity, what region of Connecticut is Torrington in? I'm from North Jersey, I go to school at Fairfield U. (Southern / Southwest CT). Maybe when I get a car, I can roadtrip from school to chill and jam with you sometime :D

-Rodya

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Wes,

Nice axe!!! I plan on getting one myself so you'll have to give us a review on how it sounds through the HRD. I bet that puppy is gonna SCREAM!!!!!

Have fun and remember not to neglect your other guitars just because you have a new one...... WHAT? Guitars have feelings too.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Rodya

I am in the Northwest Corner. If you take I95 to Rte. 8 North, I believe we are about 50 miles north of Bridgeport. It is right on Rte. 8.

Yeah, let me know if you can make it up. Chris (Cnev) is also originally from Ct. (lives in N.C. now) and comes up often. Someday Chris and I want to get together for a great open mic they have in Hartford. Even closer to you is Laz. He lives close to Greenwich I believe. He has jams in the summer at his place. Maybe he'll read this and get in touch with you.
There are a few others from Ct. on GuitarNoise as well. David Hodge lives about 30 miles north from me, but you will never find his house unless you have exact instructions. He lives on the side of a mountain! We are talking 4 wheel drive in the winter.

Greg (Gnease) lives in Jersey like you.

Thanks Tracker, yeah I can't wait for practice this Thursday!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Nice grab Wes. Enjoy! :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Awesome guitar Wes!

While, as you said, squiers are great value for money (the Affinities as well, in my opinion, not much difference with standard series), the difference with the 'real deal' is still very obvious. Have fun!

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

I love telecasters... oh how I wish I had the money for one...

Well done. Their tone is unbeatable.

Peter

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Well Wes, now you did it, I have to hit the GC on the way home tonight.

I have had the fever (GAS) again since all I just have is LP's and an acoustic now and the closest I got to guitar stuff for Christmas was a box of picks and a mic. Gee, it has been at least 6 months since I sold or bought a guitar.

Talk me out of it if you can since I just bought a new/used car yesterday and it would not be wise. :lol: Maybe I will get some sense or it will snow hard before I leave work.

Anyway, it looks and sounds great so lots of luck and fun with it.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well Nils,

There is only one cure for that. You just have to go get another guitar. As I wrote earlier, I am a relatively poor musician. It is not often I can make a nice purchase like this. Now if I had money........ :wink:

If GAS starts getting to you real bad, send off a e-mail to Nick. Now he has some impressive gear. He won't be able to cure your disease, but he can tell you all about the top of the line guitars. :roll:

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

God, if I had money you would never be able to get in my house for all the equipment.

Close to a year ago I made a decision that I would limit myself to 2 guitars because in my younger days I think I spent more time buying, selling and repairing guitars than I did playing. One electric and one acoustic was my goal. A few months ago I had to revise that to 3 on this forum because I got a deal on a LP custom I could not pass up. I love my LP's but I know I need to be on both sides of the fence in ownership (Tele or Strat and LP) so I am working on selling my special. Actually think I have a buyer here at work.

I think this is good logic since if I get even $50 for the special that justifies spending a $1000. So, if I get $100 for it that means $2000 right :?: I know you and Nick would agree with that logic. :twisted:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OH, IF I HAD MONEY :twisted:

I would cetainly pick up a Les Paul even if I don't think they play easy. They have wonderful tone and they are beautiful to look at. And a full Marshall Stack, and a Fender Twin, Blues Junior, Pro Junior, Twin Reverb,
Mesa Boogie, a couple more Strats.................................................

Personally, I think a house full of amps and guitars is a beautiful thing!

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Yikes... don't think i'll be visiting dhodge anytime soon, then :P

But if there is another Northeast GuitarNoise jam thing, I will do my best to make it there, and in the meantime, getting in touch with people that are relatively close would be a great idea.

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2