Clear all

I popped the strings again

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Today, I decided to put strings and my acoustic guitar. Yes brand new sexy epiphone bronze wound ultra light,(my only set) on my stupid guitar. I was hoping to change the strings in under a freakin hour and 30 minutes and keep working on Layla unplugged. Which is sad since I been playing for a year and 2 months. Yes, every single thing was going good, but when I went to tune them the 3rd string snapped. :evil:

After counting to 100 I decided not to throw my acoustic out my college dorm window, only because it's snowing right now in South Carolina and the snow would keep it from breaking, and not set my Washburn hollow body electric on fire, which needs strings but it can just keep the factory ones on it.

The very first time I tried to put them on, a year ago the high string broke and sliced my hand, because I was using the string winder at 100mph.The second time I broke 3 strings without the string winder , I had to reuse the ones I just took off so I had 3 new strings on it and 3 old ones on it, now thats alternate tuning :lol: I tried every stringing method on the world wide web, the directions suck.
Maybe I should get a teacher for a week just to learn how to string a guitar. After today I not playing any guitar for a week because I'm very mad, and I got a 5 string acoustic, hopefully I don't step on these old strings laying in the floor. I did string them once but the strings touched each other at the headstock, but it played fine when it stayed in tune. I think i will just pay the store to put them on from now on, before I check myself into a mental home.

The Hardest part of learning the guitar is restringing!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :evil:

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Souns like you jsut have some bad luck. I think you could either maybe change the tuning pegs. If not, just wind the strngs slowly like a little at a time and stop veery few windings to let the strngs get used to being stretched out. Hope it works out good

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I think i will just pay the store to put them on from now on, before I check myself into a mental home.

When you pay them to do it, stick around and ask them if you can watch. The answer should be yes, if not find another place to get it done next time and ask if you can watch and learn. You'll be surprised on how much 'some' people are willing to offer free tips and methods.

As to your problem, it seems like you are not checking every once in a while to see if it's in tune yet. Eventually you will be able to hear when it's "close" to being in tune. You shouldn't be winding your strings up at 100 mph. You SHOULD be taking up slack while you are SLOWLY winding up your stings to proper tuning. You can still use your winding peg, just not as fast.

Also, for some people it is hard to explain how to string your axe. There is a common way to do it but, that doesn't mean there is a common way to learn it over the internet unless you can watch a video.

Right handed models-

Fender style = wind strings around peg “counter clock-wise” two – three times put through hole and wind till tune. Like I said earlier, check every once in a while

Gibson style = e, b and g strings are wound “clock-wise” two-three times. And the d, a, and E stings are wound “counter clock-wise” two-tree times. Put through hole and wind till tune.

Hope that helps.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

djdubb

I don't remember if it was you sometime back that had this problem before. But are you making sure to give the string some slack before you start winding the tuners? That was the problem before. Put the string through the hole in the machine head, but then pull the string back toward the bridge about 1 inch on strings 4, 5, & 6, and about 1 1/2 inches on strings 1, 2, & 3. Then start winding. You will get 2 or 3 wraps on the bass strings and 4-6 wraps on the treble strings before they even become taut. This will also prevent your strings from going out of tune often or much.

If you are not giving the strings slack, then they become taut even before you have a one full wrap around the machine head. Of course you need a wrap to hold the string so you keep turning. The string is way too tight (and high of pitch) and snaps.

Anyway, I don't know if that was the problem, but make sure to give each string some slack before winding.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I find it easier and faster to replace only one string at a time, get it in tune and move on to the next one until the whole set is replaced. :D

If you break one (as we all have), it just means you are in too big a hurry. Nothing like breaking a brand new Elixer string to make you slow down!

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member

Haha, bad luck. I quite often feel inept at some or several parts of creating music, or just as often, I'm mad at the instruments.

Also, what part did you find sad? That you've been playing for a year and two months and it takes you an hour an a half to change the strings or that you are learning "Layla Unplugged?" If it's the second, I've been playing for a year and two months or almost two years depending on how you look at it (nylon classical I fooled around with once in a while for a couple of months) and i remember trying Layla Unplugged a couple of months ago, I couldn't do it at an even rhymm on any tempo and gave up, so you don't have to worry about that being a beginner's piece, or if it is, realize there are lots of people who don't knwo it.

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Generally agreeing with everybody else - just chill out. Go douse yourself in the snow, and don't get so PO'ed. Next time, just buy a few extra packs of strings. :P

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

The more strings you change, the better you'll become at it. 8)

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Okay , everyone today I calmed down a little, I just went to the store and brought 6 packs of guitar string. 3 for my acoustic and 3 for my hollow body I going to try and change the strings. Stay tuned for a update.

cmaracz changing the strings is the sad part.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I recently came across this link with some decent info on restringing and other pertenant topics.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/OwnerManual/manmain.html

There are probably many many more just like it hanging out at your friendly neighborhood internet web site. 8)

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Hmm. I seem to wind my strings around the pegs different than a lot of other people. I stick it through the hole first, give it a half inch or so of slack on the wound/bass strings, 1 inch on treble, then kink the string, wrap it around the peg so the end of the string is clamped down under the first winding around the peg.

I probably described that horribly, but it looks like this picture...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Metaellihead

Yeah, that is the correct way to do it. I don't do it that way though. First, I turn the peg counter-closewise. When the string comes around I just bend or crimp it straight up. I do not "lock" it down with the string overlap. I like to have several wraps on each string. The wraps themselves trap the string. Plus it looks so pretty! :D

But your way is correct. Ain't gonna change this old dog though. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

After two hours I put strings on both guitars :D . I did brake the 1 string, but it was my fault, on my acoustic, thats why I got some backups. Maybe now I got the hang of things.
Thanks guys for all the help!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

make sure there aren't any sharp edges or burrs on the nut.

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

Metaellihead

Yeah, that is the correct way to do it. I don't do it that way though. First, I turn the peg counter-closewise. When the string comes around I just bend or crimp it straight up. I do not "lock" it down with the string overlap. I like to have several wraps on each string. The wraps themselves trap the string. Plus it looks so pretty! :D

But your way is correct. Ain't gonna change this old dog though. 8)

If you turn the peg in the oppisite direction you take the wrap in the oppsite direction. On my guitar I wrap both directions so the strings lay corectly. The illistration is for the G B E on a guitar with pegs on both sides of the head. Take the wrap in the oppisite direction for the E A D or all the strings on a strat style head.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2