Notifications
Clear all

I scheduled my week at guitar camp!

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@andersmi)
Topic starter  

I just sent my deposit check to Puget Sound Guitar Workshop, outside of Seattle. It's a week of lessons, jamming and just general guitar-focused fun. I'm really excited.

Anybody have experience with this sort of guitar camp?

Also, I'm thinking about keeping a diary of my experiences while I'm there that I would post here on GN. Is that something that would be interesting to you all?

Mike

(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Is this an actual camp in that you'll be eating and sleeping and everything else away from home at a place pretty much dedicated to guitar only? That sounds like an awesome vacation for all the hobby players out there who'd like to be up to a pro level of playing and are stuck in a rut, and a pile of fun too.

ReplyQuote
(@andersmi)
Topic starter  

Yes. A whole week of living in a cabin, eating community meals with other musicians, jamming late into the night, etc.

I'm going with a really good friend who just started playing. The whole camp costs $750 each person. Here's the link: http://www.langston.com/PSGW/

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

once when I was at band camp....(insert dirty American Pie story)....

seriously, that sound friggen cool as hell. Almost like a meditation retreat for guitarists. Cooking, camping, and playing guitar around a fire in the forest....doesn't get much better than that.

Have a great time.

let us know how it was.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

That looks like alot of fun. Let us know how it went when you get back. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

That definitely sounds cool, do you know how many people are expected to attend on any given week? I suspect it'll be somewhat of a shame that it's only a week long. Definitely keep a diary of some sort, or a blog if you need something more manly.

I wouldn't mind doing something like that on vacation but seattle is further than I'd want to travel for it, St. Louis might be more my range. I don't know that anything is offered like that in my area (ie the midwest lol) but the reality is just getting "regular" lessons would probably be more practical for me (of course like I said, for a vacation that would be totally awesome).

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Malicant,

there are a few of those camps around the country so if you search around you might be able to find something close to you. Many are geared for younger musicians.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@andersmi)
Topic starter  

I think they have around 150 students each week. There are 16 instructors, including Wayne Henderson, who is truly an interesting guy (read "Clapton's Guitar: Watching Wayne Henderson Build the Perfect Instrument).

I did a bunch of research on these camps before choosing the Puget Sound one. There's one called "Jorma Kaukonen's Fur Peace Ranch", which is in Ohio. Jorma was a founding member of Jefferson Airplane. Also, there's one in Atlanta (can't remember the name).

I figure if you're going on vacation, you may as well get as far away from home as possible (I live in the DC area, so my flight will be a least 5 and a half hours).

The other cool thing about this trip, other than just a full week of guitar immersion, is that I feel pumped to prepare for it. I've got 4 months until I leave!

ReplyQuote
(@henrik)
Trusted Member

Ohh that seems so cool! That would really be awesome to do. I wish you a great trip (even though it's 4 months early :P)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

We'll be expecting a full length, in depth post when you get back, you know! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Enjoy yourself. I did a camp last year and had a blast.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Yeah, I did a search before my last post and if you mean younger, as in, bed wetting younger, then I saw plenty of those (and it's great they are there but I'd be lookin for more aimed at adults or at least late teens... last thing I need is some 12 year old prodigy rockin out hard core and tellin me why they prefer to flatten the 13th on the Dadd9Sub3SusAughDoubleDeluxe chord... I can take that from a 16 year old, but I'd have to steal a 9 year old's guitar and make a run for it...).

My thinking on wanting something closer is to avoid large travel expenses, that and for me a vacation only has to involve me not going to work for it to be a good vacation :). I didn't mention it before but I would definitely be motivated to prepare as much as possible before going to something like that, I'd hate to show up thinking I was a solid level 3 and get referred to the level 1 classes three or for times a day (according to what I read I fit in the low end of the level 3 for the site posted... probably more based on what I can't do yet than what I can).

Edit - Was just thinking... I have a slight preference towards the bass so I'd rather go to bass camp.... it instantly sounds silly, I envision bass camp would be high up in the mountains....)

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

Sounds like a blast. have fun and keep us posted. Will tehre be internet access? :wink:

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Dadd9Sub3SusAughDoubleDeluxe chord

:lol:

Sounds cool, can't wait to hear about it.

David, didn't you used to do something like this at your home in...Maine? Or do you still?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Sounds great.

Let us know how you get on.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2