Johnson guitars

22 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone have any experience with these? I know you get what you pay for, and these are way cheap, but a friend of mine wants to get into playing (because I am always going on and on about how much fun it is!), and $100 is right in her price range, at least for now. Nobody around here has any I can look at.

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

they are low end Chinese made guitars. each one varies with quality.
definaetly play several and pick the one that plays, feels, and sounds the best.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

Good advice from dogbite, I have an AXL strat (same company) that has a good straight neck, decent frets, a nice heavy alder body, but the pickups were weak and the electronics were cheap so I replaced them. The tuners tend to be a bit cheap (molded-on plastic knobs), tuning's not real smooth but it's decent. It didn't come setup, I had to do that, but you should expect that if you're buying over the internet. Except for the tuners it's probably on a par with SX. Hope that helps.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have a Johnson I bought used for cheap.
It was unplayable when I got it but I was going to replace some of the crappy parts and use it as a knockaround guitar.
After going through and seeing what I should replace there was nothing left of the original guitar. It will be in the garbage next week when I clean out my garage.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i have a Johnson acoustic. It served me well, but then the neck pretty much fell off. It didn't come entirely off, but the joint came loose and it wasnt pretty. I glued it back on myself, it looks very crappy. Plus, a friend of mine gave me a syringe of "wood glue" to fix it, and it turned out it was Gorilla Glue and now all the glue oozed out of the joint and looks even crappier!! But hey, live and learn, right?

That said, even before that happened, it wasn't that great. High action, sounded l ike junk and was made of plywood. Unless you find one that's exceptionally decent, i don't recommend Johnsons at all.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

My experience with them hasn't been very good. My friends sister had one that was quite messed up. Asides from very high action, the intonation was very very off. Many notes wern't in tune at all, the frets were not spaced right.

I've only ever played this one, it was an acoustic.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I had a Johnson electric strat. Sunburst body, rosewood fretboard.

My experience with this guitar was good.

All the budget guitars will have cheap tuners. That doesn't necessarily mean cheap tuners are bad. Some hold tune very well and I only change tuners to Grovers when it is warranted.

The guitar did sound 'bland', also to be expected. I replaced the neck pickup with a Carvin twin-blade for around $35 and it helped a lot.

I had no problems with this guitar. I got a good one.

8)

My Jay Turser Telecaster was another story. I got a bad one. :evil: The factory did honor the warranty and fixed it but they had it for 4 very long months. :evil:

My Samick Avion 3 Les Paul.....I love it. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

I've got a Johnson hollow bodied guitar.

It's the type with f holes, that are sometimes called "jazz style".

I'm not sure if they are all made in China now, or whether they still make some in the US, but mine is a Chinese plywood job. (EDIT: They may actually have never made them in the USA - that could be just my faulty assumption. :wink: )

It looks nice, plays fine, and seems quite reasonably made for the price. I did need to set it up again after I'd bought it though. The action was way off (easily reset with the adjusting knobs on that model though).

The nut was also poorly selected and fitted ( a bit too wide and not well located). The distributor offered to pay to have that fixed professionally but I just bought another nut for $1 and fitted it myself.

Seems OK to me, and a pro player friend seemed to think it was a good buy after he played it. However, I'm not sure it's something I'd buy sight unseen. I'd want to look and play first.

Cheers Chris

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

My friend got one at a pawn shop for $50. He put brand new strings on it and sounds really nice. It's a strat-o-copy.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

They're all Chinese made. It's a brand name used by Music Link, Inc., which is the U.S. importer for AXL instruments.

I used to have a Johnson JR-200 "Chicago Blues" spider bridge resonator, and it was a decent cheap guitar. I now have a Style 1 Tricone, that's one of the first Chinese made ones. Previously they were made by Amistar in the Czech Republic at a much higher price. Mine had to have a bunch of upgrades to get it like I wanted it, but I bought my teacher one a year and a half ago that was perfect. This is a much more expensive instrument than their entry level acoustics, however.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

They're all Chinese made. It's a brand name used by Music Link, Inc., which is the U.S. importer for AXL instruments.

Hi Ricochet,

Did they ever make them in the USA? Or have I just imagined that because of the company name, and models like "Las Vegas"? Thanks for the info about Music Link and AXL, that'll give me some names to search with.

It seems hard these days to put a country to a brand as so much is contracted out elsewhere. I imagine that the name Ibanez was originally chosen to make it sound Spanish, although (as far as I know) they're Japanese company and have their guitars made and assembled all over the place.

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I have a Johnson acoustic $99.00 I use it mostly for slide. I love my Johnson!!!! the best cheap guitar i have ever owned :D you can hear it here http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=284421&songID=2836929

listen for the acoustic slide parts. I used 2 mics on it but i alsu use a pick up at times to get a good Elmor James Sound-- I LOVE CHEAP THINGS THAT WORK WELL :lol: :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I don't think they've ever been made in the USA, but it's possible the brand name is an older one, like "Regal," previously used by a U.S. maker. Regals are made in China nowadays, too, some say by the same maker as Johnsons. No connection to the old Regal company.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Hey Smokin Dog........

I listened to a few of your songs over there. You are a REAL player!

I really liked Jinx Jam! Wish I could play like that! If you like that music and tone, you would like Andy Aledort and the Groove Kings.

8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If you get one, you'll never run out of material for jokes about playing with your Johnson.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2