Clear all

Just one of those days

25 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Did you ever have one of those odd days when you pick up your guitar and can just play? And I mean play like it was your purpose in life. I had one of those today, I came home, grabbed my acoustic, wrote some really long run on sentences like this one, and everything clicked. I've been playing about a year and I feel like I've made good progression. I've had people I've jammed with think I'd been playing much longer, but today was like the day. Stuff I've never been able to play was coming as second nature. I felt like I could've learned anything had I wanted to. This makes me very very happy. And maybe this will give the newbies something to look forward to-knowing that one day you will go to run through your practice routine and you'll feel like you inherited the hands of Jimmy Page. T'is a beautiful thing.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Amen bro.. two years and counting but I haven't jammed with alot of people :cry: . But I know what you mean, its a great feeling. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I had one of those two days while jamming with a friend, we were both on, and it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We played in the same key for about 45 minutes withouth stoping once, it was really cool... didnt start of the greatest but we got a drum machine in there and we both went off! Made me feel like making out with my guitar.... mmmmm wood....

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@il_manti)
Trusted Member

Yep. Great feeling... happens to me to sometimes. I'm like 'WOOOAAHHH! Where'd that come from?!'... you feel like your hands are moving around by themselves and you'r egod of your instrument...

wish that it happens ... like ... everytime i play :P

But on the contrary sometimes it happens that I pick up my guitar and I'm blocked... things i could play just sound screwed up and I can't do anything ... THAT definitely sucks !!

The truth does not matter in life. What really matters is what others believe to be the truth.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

And then comes the day after when nothing seems to work no matter what you do. Did anyone also notice that drinking large ammounts of alchohol seems to skyrocket your skills temporarily? Vodka, helping guitarists feel proud since 1864...

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I think its just like drinking while singing karoke. Most people stink when they sing cause they cant relax enough to sing the song, drinking relaxes them BUT mostly I think it only make them THINK they sound better. :lol:

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

yea stuff happens as they say...But it is a great feeling when it does.

It's the same in sports some days you feel like you can make every shot playing basketball or birdie every hole on the golf course an dthen other days you feel like you never played the sport before.

The golf part happened to me yesterday...unfortunately it was the " Have I ever played this game before" kind of day.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Oh yeah!!! :D

That was probably one of the best days I've had in a long time too. When I was playing it was like a spirtual moment to me.

The only down side was no one heard me playing but me and my cat, and I'm yet to have someone want to jam with me. That sort of sucks thinkin' about it.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member

I played really good yesterday - until my nail broke.

ReplyQuote
(@kerbdog)
Eminent Member

I have those times when I pick up a guitar and I sound great...of course I never record those times....you, I, all of us should start doing that! :(

I know what you mean but for me it usually only happens after at least 2 days or more without playing (not always)...sometimes that's a good thing to take a break...but I can't explain the days I can play like a mofo after 5 straight days of practicing/playing and sounding like crap, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Then again maybe it has everything to do with being totally relaxed and confident. As in some days are better than others (life other than music)...not always like that here.

ReplyQuote
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member

Kerbdog, I've also noticed that a break can be good. As i mentioned in another thread, my thumbnail was split a month ago, and then I didn't play very much. When my nail had grown to the former length I started to play again, and I think I was better than before. I find that very strange... I think it's a little bit like building muscles: you have to rest to be able to build them: the training is just stimulating the body to build. And when we play we stimulate both body and brain to adapt. Or something...

ReplyQuote
(@kerbdog)
Eminent Member

I dunno man I was mainly referring to when there are stress free days I can play much better. I don't play strictly fingerstyle or classical (would love to learn) but that has to be irritating to go through...breaking your main picking nail. :(

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I am an avid cyclist and rest days do help. I have had good days on the bike and bad, rest can make a difference. I have had the same with the guitar, but still to new in what I know to see a big jump yet. Look forward to the good days ahead!

John M

ReplyQuote
(@kerbdog)
Eminent Member

Now that I've thought about it there are many days when I've worked my a ss off and am completely drained when I get home; just wanna go to bed.

But if I fight it and stay awake, pick up the guitar...plug it in...it's like I'm supremely warmed up and my fingers just flow...dunno how to describe it, you guys that have experienced it know what I'm talking about. As I said I should be recording... :?

haha "Donkey"??? that's pretty bad when you cant even say arse on a board :P

ReplyQuote
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member

Kerbdog, I think I know what you mean. Sometimes when I've had a bad day and life is anything but a comedy I sometimes pick up my guitar and just improvise. That is so refreshing. Often it sounds terrible, but I don't care. The thing is that I love to completely focus on one thing, and when I improvise I have to just think about that. Sometimes it sounds really good, and many of my song ideas start this way.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2