Clear all

"left-hander" but playing like "a right-hande

20 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@kalagan)
Topic starter  

hello,

First, excuse my language, i'm french and i don't write/speak english very well !!

This is my question :

I'm 28 years oldi play the guitar since this age of 16. I'm "left-hander" (?), i mean i use my left hand for writing or doing things, but when i have start to learn playing the guitar i habe bought a "normal" guitar (for a right-hander". And so, since 12 years i'm playing like that, and it's apparently not a problem for me.

Do you think that to not play like a left-hander (that i'm) could make me become a "bad" guitarist, or less better than if i was playing like a left-hander ???

(@davisaggie)
Eminent Member

Hi kalagan,
I am in the same situation that you are. I do most things left handed, but I play guitar right handed. It does not seem to be an issue when I play.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Given that the dexterity needed on the left hand is typically greater than on the right, I'd guess that someone who is left handed and plays right handed actually has a slight advantage.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I'm in the same boat, left handed but I learned to play by watching others, all of whom were right handed, so that's the way I learned to play

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@alexduller)
Trusted Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Mark Knopfler(one of the greatest guitar players IMO) is left-handed but plays right-handed...one great advantage is that your fretting hand probably has more strength than most other guitar players who play 'normally', so you can do things more easily such as bending two strings at once.....

Alex

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5328/guitarsig6bw.gif

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Given that the dexterity needed on the left hand is typically greater than on the right, I'd guess that someone who is left handed and plays right handed actually has a slight advantage.

All handedness is not equal, some lefties can play right-handed with little difficulty, and some like myself find it next to impossible. If lefties had an advantage learning right-handed then the same should be true for a right-handed person learning on a leftie guitar. I don't see any mad rush by right-handed people to buy leftie guitars.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I don't see any mad rush by right-handed people to buy leftie guitars.
Forgive them my son for they know not what they do :roll:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Tim

You beat me to that reply :wink:

I'm a lefty who plays a lefty guitar. My left hand normally handles the dexterous things like eating, writing, brushing teeth, etc. However, that same hand also has more rhythm and therefore is my better strumming hand.
Whichever way is more comfortable is the way I'd recommend someone to learn guitar. I'm glad to see a lot of lefties on this site who are able to find decent left-handed guitars these days.
For me, simply holding the guitar with my right hand doing the fretting (ie. like a lefty) seemed most natural to me.

Kalagan - sounds like you are doing fine!

Cheers,

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like your biggest problem is the amount of time you spend worrying about it.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Im a lefty playing right handed, my picking hand is a bit slow but no big deal. Just do whats comfortable.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i too am a lefty playing right handed. i eat, brush my teeth, write, and throw left handed, but i play guitar, bat, and shoot right handed. go figure. it actually felt pretty natural to play right handed. but then again it's the only way i have ever tried

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

I'm a lefty playing right handed. When I was a kid (6 or 7), my father restrung a ukelele for me a taught me to play a few chords left handed. He was right handed. He "thought" he was doing me a favor. Then when I started playing guitar when I was in the teens, I taught myself right handed.

When I went to college as a music education major, I questioned the left/right thing. One of my professors said you do not teach students left handed on instruments :!:

Think about it.....when was the last time you saw a left handed built piano or keyboard? :lol:

As an elementary music teacher now, I do not encourage lefties to play lefty on anything....especially the guitar. The only reason I would...is if the student had a physical handicap where he needed to play reversed.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

"Think about it.....when was the last time you saw a left handed built piano or keyboard? "

Yeah, but thats different, both hands are basically doing the same thing on a piano, pushing down keys. On guitar, they are doing very different things, fretting and picking/strumming.

If I was laft handed, I would play guitar left handed.

I am right handed, when I try to play left handed, my strumming is horrible, my coordination is much worse with my left than with my right.

And whats so bad about playing left handed on guitar anyway? The only disadvantage is that there is a smaller selection of guitars availible to you.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i heard that jimi hendrix was actually lefthanded, but taught himself to play the guitar righthanded, since that's the way they sold them. seemed to work for him ok.

:roll:

ReplyQuote
(@kalagan)
Topic starter  

ok, thanks for yours answers.

But it's was just a question, i have no problem with to be left-handed and to play like a right-handed, because the first time a took a guitar it was like a right-handed...

I just somtime ask this question to myself : is it a non-natural way for me to play like that....

ps : i don't have really understand the answer of "backtothefuture"...what do you means ?? you teach music , your are left-handed an you says to yours left-handed students to play like right-handed ??!! Why ??

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2