Clear all

Little Wing

22 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone make an attempt at Little Wing, SRV, Hendrix or otherwise? It's a doozy. There's a fifteen page tab of SRV's version over at ultimate-guitar, and it seems to be fairly decent. I can play the intro and some of the solo, but I haven't really wanted to keep at it. It's so daunting.

But I will say, nothing gets the people perked up more than the intro to that song. It's pretty recognizable. But then of course, I have to fake an injury ala Colbert to get out of finishing it.

Can anyone play it all the way through?

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I've tried it, but I can only play like half the intro. I think the thing with the thumb over the neck is really hard to do. But it was a while ago I tried it, maybe it will work better now.

I can play some parts of the solo. I actually think the solo is easier to play than the intro.

But of course one of the most beutiful pieces of music ever written is going to be hard to play :wink: .

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@reeve)
Estimable Member

I have to fake an injury ala Colbert to get out of finishing it.

Haha I remember that one :lol:

Anyone have a fingerstyle or some sort of acoustic arrangement of LW though? I definitely agree with ya niklas, it's one the most beautiful songs I've heard, if not the most.

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I play LW all the time, have been working on it since I started playing guitar a couple years ago. Not that I'm really that great at it, but it's fun to play and seems like something that I can play forever and never feel "done" with.

I play the whole thing as a solo, I don't even try to sing it very often 'cause I'm still really lousy at singing and playing at the same time. Thing about LW is that even without a band or a singer it's a perfectly great song. Generally I play the intro, the first and second verses, then play the solo without accompaniment, then repeat the intro. Niklas is right - the solo is the easy part.

The version of it I play is from a book of transcriptions - "Jimi Hendrix Signature Licks" is the name of the book and it comes with a slowed down CD. If you're interested in working LW this is a great resource.

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

I learned the intro and the solo a long time ago but the hardest part I found was the timing. I haven't played little wing in years, so maybe I should have another crack, but I remember that even though I knew all the notes and could play them, my intro NEVER sounded right. It was recognisable, but just wrong... I could never get it... :(

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Anyone have a fingerstyle or some sort of acoustic arrangement of LW though? I definitely agree with ya niklas, it's one the most beautiful songs I've heard .

There's a great (short) fingerstyle interpretation on the guitarforbeginners site: 'Winglike'.

Don

ReplyQuote
(@reeve)
Estimable Member

Cool, thanks for the link. That website a great resource, I've never even heard of it before. Those lessons from Kirk are great too, I like the vids he posts with 'em.

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
 ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member

I picked out SRV version about 15 years ago from a cassett tape. I play by ear but will use tab or notes as a helper once in a while. When I learned this song it was my first at getting down circular/sweeping picking techniques in an attempt to emulate some of those riffs. There were some riffs I just had to ad lib because what Stevie does sometimes just baffles me. That song has been big influence in my playing blues riffs over the years - Thanks Stevie! The funny thing is that I can get alot of Stevie's stuff but Jimi's LW I can't for the life of me pull out those nuances.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I can play some parts of the solo. I actually think the solo is easier to play than the intro.

IMO, I'm not so sure about that. I found the intro to be pretty easy to start with and get it sounding recognizable very quickly, while the solo has been a bit harder to grasp for me. For some reason I can't get it to sound much more similar.

I suppose it's because I'm less familiar with the soloing aspect.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarmonkey90)
Trusted Member

have any of you guys checked out the power tab editor? its a cool little piece of software, the power tabs are much more acurate than your standard posted tabs and also come with midi. its a great learning tool,ive halfed the time its taken me to learn some songs. you can also set tempo markers so you can low the tunes down to as low as 40 bpm. for anyone who hasnt got it, get it! 8) 8) :) :) :) :)

"thats alright baby i still got ma guitar"

ReplyQuote
(@guitarmonkey90)
Trusted Member

the softwares free. i think the best site i found with the most acurate power tabs is http://www.911tabs.com check it out :)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

If you like 911tabs for powertab, you're going to think all your christmases have come at once when you have a poke around http://powertabs.net :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm a big powertab fan. It's a cool program.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@uptownskateshop)
Eminent Member

Well I covered the song a few months ago, I too started working on it when I began my journey into playing with "colors". Hell, I'm still missing crayons.

Check it out at http://www.myspace.com/alexandrosbenjou

ReplyQuote
(@guitarmonkey90)
Trusted Member

cool cover, very chilled :) :)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2