Notifications
Clear all

MetalicaMan's "quitting post"

21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Totally my fault here folks. Was trying to edit one supremely unhelpful and sarcastic post and inadvertently (apparently but who knows) lost the whole thread. Absolutely unintended and goes to show I shouldn't be on the boards when I've not slept in two days.

Again, apologies.

Peace

(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Everyone makes mistakes, so its cool, dude!

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Stuff happens. Hope it was not my unhelpfull and sarcastic post but the one below mine you are mentioning.

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

What did it say in the post?

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

David the thread "Lost all hope" is alive and well on my end! Glad you removed the post in question it was unecessary and seemed hurtful in context.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

Yes, it's back again (note to self - talk with Paul about weirdness in forums and/or get some sleep).

Arjen, no it wasn't yours. Otherwise it'd be gone! :wink:

Back to things, I guess. Be seeing you all on the boards.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

haha!
that'll teach you to try and be nice!!
maybe it means that you should be unhelpful and sarcastic every once in a while!!!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I saw that post and I was going to reply to it but better judgement got the best of me. We have ALL been in the same position as metallicaman. He just needed to talk to someone about it. I know I have beeen there several times in a very short time that I have been playing. I just can't stand when some people aren't sensitive enough to the feelings of others.

Sorry david...I'm off my soapbox now!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have never considered quitting, I am very stubborn by nature. :D

And I can't speak for others, but I have been playing about 34 years now. And I still get discouraged. I should be much better than I am. So, for me anyway, these feelings of discouragement never leave you.

You cannot always go by your feelings, sometimes you have to let your mind rule. I mean, what good would it do to quit? First, I love guitar and know I would miss it. Second, quitting would just make me feel like a loser and a failure. I would feel even worse if I quit. Third, logic tells me that if I keep playing I am sure to improve. There is really no option for me, I have to keep playing.

You've got to quit worrying about other players. You will always meet players that can do something better to you in one area. But you will usually find you are better than them in others. I mean, I can sing while I play. I don't think Randy Rhodes did that. Maybe he did, that's good, but the point is you have to play guitar your way. Put your best out there and work on your weaknesses.

And I really don't mind being around great players. They inspire me, plus I try to steal all their tricks. :D

No, sometimes playing guitar is discouraging. That just comes with the territory. You have to accept that and make up your mind to play even if you don't feel that good. Feelings come and go. You feel like a loser today, tomorrow you may feel like the hottest player around.

Just keep playing.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I don't think my post is the one you're talking about, but if it was (or if it seemed unhelpful) what I was really trying to say was two things:

Most pro players spend a massive amount of time playing, they don't spend too much time worry about playing they just play, which means

Don't worry about the outcome, just enjoy how you're playing, being a perfectionist in music it can be discouraging to see great players. I went to a music store yesterday and saw a kid younger then me playing something that was better then anything i could ever play. There's always going to be better players, the key is to enjoy playing.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Two days without sleep? ha you'll never make a real rock'n'roller.......

got to go at least five - without stimulants - to earn the respect of your peers ......

you do know I'm just joking don'tcha?

:D:D:D:D:D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i am " once again with wes" on this, i have never even consider giving up guitar,
the thought of it makes my stomach sick, we all hit ruts and we all think "god i should be better than what i am" quiting is quiting, weather it be guitar or anything else, i can't imagine life with out guitar, but thats just me, nothing good is easy :!: :!: :!: :!:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

wow. I was gone for a few days and saw the original. I had to reply with a positive post.

Im sure it wasnt negative, but please please let me know if my post was the offender.
I am wondering because I posted today a few days after th original was posted.

it is a shame the whole thread and original post is gone as therte were some very good responses.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I'm going to agree with Wes and Rocker on this one. I personally haven't, and am sure many others haven't thought about quitting. I don't think I'm as good as I could be, and I do get discouraged, but I never saw the point in quitting.

Either way, we're all different, and some people do think about quitting. Lets just be glad that Metallicaman is back, and hopefully we don't come close to losing anyone else either.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well I wanted to quit after reading Arjen's response since the three things he listed were the reason I started in the first place...Ha

And Wes, I couldn't pick a guitar up for weeks after I played with you a few months ago, if you don't think your a good player then there is no hope for me....

But I'm not going to quit even if I'm never gonna be on MTV or get any hot babes or be able to play like Wes I'm sticking with it til I die...

And Vic..what do you mean five days without stimulants you have to be using the stimulants to even be considered a rock'n roller...

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2