Notifications
Clear all

Might as well be living out of a dumpster

17 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@white)
Topic starter  

I have been trying as hard as I can to learn, but it seems like its almost impossible with the guitar I have. I am the proud owner of a Synsonic. My brother got it in the 80s sometime. The guitar has 4 strings, the things that hold the strings on (I don't know what there called) fell off. I don't have any money to buy anything and I am too young to get a job. So does anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.epier.com/BiddingForm.asp?792268#fulldesc
^^Thats a picture of what the guitar looked like when it was new, itsno knobs and amp fell off

Edit: I am also using a dime to play because I don't have a pick

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

The guitar has 4 strings, the things that hold the strings on (I don't know what there called) fell off.
This could use a little clarification. Where are these things? What do they look like?

You should be able to find enough change between your couch cushions to get a pick, or gou could beg one off somebody else.

It would be nice too have all the strings, but I don't guess there's much you can do with no money. Still, you can play one those four.

ReplyQuote
(@palehorse)
Eminent Member

The guitar has 4 strings, the things that hold the strings on (I don't know what there called) fell off.

Have you considered learning bass?

lol Lord, I apologize...

----------------------------------------------
Life is a snowmobile racing across the frozen tundra that suddenly flips over pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasels come...

ReplyQuote
(@artistx13)
Estimable Member

This is the time when you have a good ole chat with your parents. Dont beg for money for a guitar or money to fix your guitar. Just ask them and try to maybe arrange some work around the house you could do to "Raise" the money. Couldnt hurt to try that route since by what youve said you have no other way of gettin a guitar or money for one.

good luck,
micheal :)

"I named my son Marshall, yeah I named him after the amp. Of course that wasnt my first choice, I was gonna name him Peavy but my wife didnt like it."- Ron "Tater Salad" White

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

White

You don't say how old you are, but there must be some way of making a little money. Do you have a lawnmower? Mow lawns. I used to go out when I was only 11-12 years old and mow lawns. I could make $50 or $60 dollars on one Saturday afternoon. That would be like $300 today.

I also had a paper route when I was even younger. I used to make about $60 per week.

There are some very good guitar packages today like this one from Behringer.

Behringer Guitar/Amp Package

That's only $110. You can come up with that. And it's a pretty good guitar and amp.

Perhaps you can make a deal with your parents to earn money.

How old are you White?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, you cant learn on a guitar with 4 strings... And all the other problems you described.

Look at the above post^

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@apefeet)
Eminent Member

White,

You don't say how old you are or where you live. As has been stated, ask your parents
if you can do some chores around the house to earn some money, or cut grass for neighbours.
Second, picks and strings are not very expensive, for around $10 you can get a new set of
strings and a dozen picks. I am guessing that the part you are missing on your guitar is a
string tee (little piece that looks like a T that holds strings down). If that is what is missing,
they are also very inexpensive (~$2-$3 or less).

Learning to play guitar with only 4 strings and a dime as a pick should show your parents
that you are really interested in learning to play. I would talk to your parents and see
what kind of chores can be arranged and see about getting a trip to local music store to get
some parts to make your guitar easier to play.

Rich

ReplyQuote
(@white)
Topic starter  

I've decided to try to get my parents to give me money for working around the house. By the way I am 14. I should be able to get the money by the end of next week I hope.

Pray for me :wink:

Thanks everyone

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

By all means come back and let us know how things are going. Some of us forget how hard it is to function when you're totally broke. But at your age you should be able to find things you can do for people to scrape up some cash to get a decent starter guitar, but of course it may take a few weeks or longer. You can do it.

ReplyQuote
(@blazedphool)
Trusted Member

i know how it is.....i've tried everything to make money...lol from mowing lawns, to babysitting, to selling stuff, to even webdesigning....luckily i have a job now, but yeah i think if ur really committed it will come somehow...ohh and those starter packs are really great...everything you need to start jamming....but eventually you will be wanting more

" We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Willy Wonka

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

This is by far the saddest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

Look, if you can somehow prove that you are a 14 year old kid, I will personally mail you a half gross of fender medium picks. That would last me about 2 weeks, and a normal person months (I lose them everywhere). And no Im not kidding, and no Im not offering them to anyone who asks. Im saying mow lawns or do whatever you gotta do, but I know that when I was 14 I wouldnt have played a 4 string guitar with a dime. I would have traded the dime for a pick, and asked relatives for a guitar.

Do what you have to do. Good luck.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If you have the will there's ways. Maybe try your local mom and pop music store go in and explain the situation and ask if theres something you could do to earn the repairs and strings and anything else needed to practice with. Dress nice and act polite, in other words you have to sell yourself. You'll have to Win them over, the way to Win is think positive and keep telling yourself your a Winner.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member

These class act posts above mine have given you all the imput you need man...good luck...hope your real famous one day you become an inspiration to other kids in the position like your in now!

Good luck man!!

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

Paul Y Howdilly doodily neigborini!!

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

I'll help you out too. If, as Kiddo say, you can prove you're 14, I'll chip in a set of strings. When you you get some way to let us know PM me, or you can Kiddo, and I'll mail them to you White. We just want some indication you're trying hard to get the rest of what you need in the meantime. This offer is not open to the public.

Work hard.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@eclips3)
Eminent Member

Narn, that is probably the nicest thing I've seen anyone do in a long long time. You truly deserve my thanks for making that offer, sir! I salute you

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2