New guitar...new problem!

17 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I recently came across a cheap Jay Turser tele copy in vintage white in a local music store. Not thinking much of it, I plugged it in and ended up taking it home for $100. It's amazing, easily rivaling the quality of a squier or mexican fender. The only problem is that I now have 6 guitars+3 keyboards+2 harmonicas+2 trumpets+1 flute+1 recording computer+4 amps in one room, and many people think i'm crazy for having so much, although I play it all regularly. How do you explain to non-musical people the need for multiple insturments? Also, has anyone ever dealt with Jay Turser? How is their other stuff?

(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

xg, you dont have to explain anything you have or worked for to anybody' if they ask why you have so many istruments, tell them because can.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I recently came across a cheap Jay Turser tele copy in vintage white in a local music store. Not thinking much of it, I plugged it in and ended up taking it home for $100. It's amazing, easily rivaling the quality of a squier or mexican fender. The only problem is that I now have 6 guitars+3 keyboards+2 harmonicas+2 trumpets+1 flute+1 recording computer+4 amps in one room, and many people think i'm crazy for having so much, although I play it all regularly. How do you explain to non-musical people the need for multiple insturments? Also, has anyone ever dealt with Jay Turser? How is their other stuff?

Must be Tele season. I just got a black and chrome Squier Tele that's absolutely captivated me. It was love at first twang, I tell ya.

As for explaining my stuff (9 guitars, 5 amps, keyboard, bongos, Korg DX16XD, computer, assorted rack gear, MILES of cords and cables), I don't. My daughter's musician friends love to come visit me though.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Just ask them if an art collector would have only one painting. 8)

My former Bass player had a Jay Turser 5 string . He liked it. It sounded good to me too!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Sorry? What is it you are trying to explain? I don't get it.

Too many guitars? Huh? Sorry, but the words don't make any sense to me. Someone enlighten me, is there such a thing?

Is there supposed to be something wrong with your behavior? I don't think so. 8)

Jay Turser is entry level stuff. You got a guitar worth what you paid.

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Yeah...my parents were confused when my guitar collection rose to 2 guitars with the addition of a bass. So now I only have an old acoustic and a cheap bass and they think I'm "amassing" guitars.

My parents: "but you already have a guitar" :D

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I have only been *learning* for a month and I already have acquired 5 guitars (mostly cheapies except for an Epi Dot) and 2 amps (and expecting a Fender G-DEC delivery tomorrow).

It's an illness :shock: and hard to explain to the other half who says, 'you can't even play a guitar!'.

My excuse is that it's cheaper and safer than other mid-life crises' purchases such as Harleys, convertible sports cars etc (this is treading very shallow water in alligator territory).

(When the G-DEC surfaces tomorrow, I may need to sell everything to pay for my divorce! :( )

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

9 guitars, a keyboard, 3 amps, 3 blues harps, Tascam mixer, computer, scanner and printer, all crammed into a tiny 10' by 8' room, with a wardrobe filling one corner...there's just enough room to squeeze in, between the door and the desk which fits round the facing corner....and there's a radiator in there, underneath the window, which is permanently switched off...bloody freezing in winter!!!! oh how we suffer for our art!!!!!....at least my Mrs understands my obsession....

and if there's a football/cricket/rugby match on, I have to find room for a cable box and a portable TV as well.....!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

(EDIT)

Oh yeah...and it's the only room in the house that's never been decorated since we moved in, that was October '98....probably because it'd take me a week to shift everything out!!!!Every other room has been done at least twice, and the Mrs is on at me to do the kitchen again....

Further Edit....

Why do you feel the need to justify your posessions? Every instrument does a different job, right? I liked that quote from Wes....ask an art enthusiast if he's only got one painting....we guitarists paint with sound, multi-layering, multi-texturing...would a painter have only one colour on his palette? or own one brush?

Wonder what Leonardo Da Vinci could have achieved if the electric guitar had been around in his day.....!!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

The only problem is that I now have 6 guitars+3 keyboards+2 harmonicas+2 trumpets+1 flute+1 recording computer+4 amps in one room . . .

I see the problem . .. you're missing mixing boards, pre-amps, mics, stands, monitors ...

I suggest you get on the ball immediately!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I'm with kingpatzer, you are missing a lot of stuff there, bud.

It's o.k. though. I'm not done with my collection yet either. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

We are all truly sick and we love our disease. Acute case of GAS, Gear Acquisition Syndrome. 2 guitars, bass, 4 amps, mixer, 2 keyboards, computer dedicated to recording, various effects pedals, and cables, cables cables. No where near done yet. I have my eye on a Hollow Body, several electrics, one or two acoustics (at the minimum), a couple of basses, maybe another keybooard, and definitely a tube amp or a stack of some sort, and for sure the BOSS ME-50 effects pedal and accessories.

Unfortunately, I just took one of my cats to the Vet and the estimated cost of $340 to heal her puts a damper on the spending for a bit.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You can never have to many guitars full stop.

Look at all the fun things you can do with them before you even start playing.

You need at least one in permanently in standard tuning, one in drop D, one set up for slide, everyone should have an acoustic, then you get to the interesting stuff like Semis, 7 & 12 strings, different fretboards, nuts and saddles for different sounds, the list goes on and on and on - Basically you always NEED another guitar.

And good point about the art collector Wes; thats now commited to memory for future use :lol:

If your going to do something do it properly and do it well - so BUY MORE STUFF! :D

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

You need at least one in permanently in standard tuning, one in drop D,... everyone should have an acoustic, then you get to the interesting stuff like ... 12 strings,... the list goes on and on and on - Basically you always NEED another guitar.

You mean, there are people who don't have all this sort of thing?

A :?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Apparently not - slackers

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

... Also, has anyone ever dealt with Jay Turser? How is their other stuff?

Yes, I've got the Beatle Bass; not all that bad!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2