Clear all

New Nevada Les Paul

19 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Just got back from puchasing my new guitar (didn't know quite what I was going to buy, but knew I was going to get something :lol:)

Anyway, I ended up buying a Les Paul copy (at least, thats what my research leads to me to understand :D). The neck is so smooth, with great action and sound. It's got more knobs than my other guitars, so I'll have plenty of settings to mess about with :D From what I've played so far, the sound is sweet; bringing everything from a mellow blues feel to a nice rock 'n' roll, though I'll definately be sticking to the Yamaha to play anything heavy, it just copes so well with the low notes while in Drop-C tuning.

Here's some pic's I took;

and here it sits with its brothers and sisters :lol:

Guess I'm going to have to come up with a new name now. Hmmmm.......

Xander, Xavier, Xena and Xandra :D

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Very nice new guitar and very nice collection Pete!

I'm a LP user too. Change the knobs positions and also the pickup selector, there is a lot of sounds in that guitar. It's very fun.

Congrats! :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"Guess I'm going to have to come up with a new name now. Hmmmm....... "

Pete, you've been watching too much X-Factor.....I suggest Bill, or George, anything but Xue!!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

We're gonna need some kind of roster or something here to tell who everyone is. :lol: Oh ... nice Les Paul copy .... real nice!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I suggest Bill, or George, anything but Xue!!!!!

Vic

That will be Xill and Xeorge.

Nice guitar collection there, Pete. How much you got it for if you don't mind telling ? Now you need that twelve string now to complete the collection, don't ya ? :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'll be getting a 12 string in the next month or so i hope (I'll probably wait till I get the next paycheck! :lol:)
I'm looking at maybe getting this one; http://www.playrecord.net/guitars/12-string-guitars/fender-cd140s-12-string.p668.html

Rahul: I got the LP for £100 (roughly $200 U.S.) second/hand - though you'd never know it'd been played before; the salesman said he remembered the guy bringing it in a few days before, saying it was an unwanted present from his parents :shock: 8)

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Pete, I tried out a very similar Fender 12-string recently - had a very sweet tone. That one was in a 2nd-hand shop, too - when I went back to have another look, it had been sold....£85 it went for. I've also owned a Stagg acoustic - you might find the Fender has a slightly lower action (even for a 12-string) that takes a little getting used to. Bear in mind also that 12-strings usually come with VERY light strings, and if I'm not mistaken, you prefer a heavier gauge.... I think they normally come with 9's for the main set, although if I remember correctly, the 12-string I owned had an 8 for the D string in the "octave" set.

In the end I settled for a sound-hole pickup for my acoustic....but I'm still gassing, and I've still got some money left, so who knows......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info Vic!

I had forgotten just how high the action is on my Stagg compared to other acoustic's until I tried some out in the shop the other day! As for strings, I have moved to lighter ones on the Stagg, as although the heavier strings were giving a great sound, they did make it somewhat more difficult to play. Lighter strings might make a welcome change, even on the 12 string! :lol:

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hey. that is actually a very nice looking copy les paul. in one photo the binding ad pick guard had a yellowy color. that would be a nice look for the guitar. is it just the pic or is the binding 'aged'.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

The binding and the pickguard do have a slightly aged-yellowly look, which is part of what drew me to it - it just looked a bit different to all the other guitars which had white pickguards.

The Stagg acoustic also has the aged-yellow colouring on the binding, the bridge, and the pegs which hold the strings in too. Sitting next to each other, they really compliment each other's looks - another reason I was drawn to it, I think :lol:

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Apparently, there are most LP copy makers than I thought. (Esp the Agiles, SX etc)

Gibson's campaign to stop 'fake' LPs in the market - :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Seems the best Gibson could do was stop people from copying their head stock. That one is close too. All but the little dip in the middle.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

The headstock of Pete's Yamaha is even more inspiring...

Samick makes some weird headstocks too.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Nice mirror finish on that one.

Bright!!! 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

The headstock of Pete's Yamaha is even more inspiring...

Every time I've taken that guitar into a shop (two shops at uni, one in luton and one in brighton) the staff in the shop have asked me to sell it to them, just because of that headstock! :lol:

Pete

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2