Clear all

Poisoning the Well

46 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Stopped into Best Buy yesterday, and what do I see, but guitar headstocks sticking up over the shelves a few aisles over. Okay, I know they will be cheapobadlysetupbustedstring nasties, but I can't resist a look. I round the corner to see and SG copy sitting there with the requisite broken high-e. But wait, this ain't no copy. Right on the open-book headstock it actually says Gibson. And this is an actual SG by name! And in the box next to it is ...... OMG, a Les Paul! Prices are just over and just under two bills for the LP and SG, respectively. And they are absolute crap. What a shame that some well meaning parent will buy one of these for his/her kid, thinking "Gibson, that's the real thing!" Something so much better can be had for the same $$ in Ibanez, Dean, Squire, Samick ... and etc.

Gibson should axe few of its marketing geniuses and replace them with QA people. Unfortunately, I am not really surprised.

-=tension & release=-

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

why are they crap?

edit: i just realized you meant 200, not 2000.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I believe it was here that I read that ibson was going to create "cheaper" guitars and sell them at places like WalMart. They are relying on their "good" name to get more customers...pretty sad they are selling out like most major companies these days

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

What are they calling the model? SG special? Les paul special? Gibson - china edition, maybe? I need details... I can't believe people arn't fussing about this all over the internet.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

why are they crap?

edit: i just realized you meant 200, not 2000.

Poor quality -- assembly, finish, setup (correctable, but Best Buy isn't going to take care of this). I've seen much better guitars from China for approximately $200.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

What are they calling the model? SG special? Les paul special? Gibson - china edition, maybe? I need details... I can't believe people arn't fussing about this all over the internet.

There is some special model designation that goes along with the Les Paul and SG names. I don't recall it, but it was not China -- though I noticed the Made in China sticker without really looking for it. These have probably just landed in stores -- Christmas retailing season is nearly upon us.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I've seen what I think are similar models in different Mediaplay outlets. I was always surprised to see guitars and basses there. Now I know what was going on.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I did read somewhere that they had a special designation but for the life of me I can't remember it or find it. Probably something like "Wally World special edition". My understanding was that they originally struck a deal with WalMart to market them but I have not seen them in WM yet.

They didn't officially say it this way but when questioned about why the would "lower themselves" the answer was something like - if we can get a cheap Gibson in a kids hands to start them off then when they are ready for a real guitar they might just remember they had a Gibson so why not get a GOOD Gibson. It is an interesting marketing ploy but I am not sure how good it will work if the discount version is crap. It also makes the Gibson name more visible in the mainstream market.

To me, marketing them through chains like Best Buy and WalMart that does not have support for fixes, setups etc. they will not make a lot of happy customers.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Curiosity getting the best of me, I ran into the Best Buy near my work on my lunch break today. They did not have any Gibson guitars. What they did have was a Fender "Starcaster". Two basic options are offered. The first is a standard SSS Strat. The other is a HSS. They come in a "starter kit" with a basic amp, picks, cable, etc.

The SSS was $200, the HSS was $240. Not sure why the price difference.

They had one out I could pickup. It was pretty shoddy. I've played Squires, of course, and they were nothing close to that in quality. The thing was so out of tune that I didn't play it much at all, but it just didn't feel good the limited time I did.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I'm seathing with rage right now...just thinking of how many new punk bands will come from these kids who slam power chords away on their trash guitars... not to mention, the kids who really wanna learn guitar and get shafted with this garbage guitar as opposed to buying something like a MIM strat or squire, or an epiphone...so much more quality can be had for a little bit more if not the same price. I expected this from the money grubbing gibsonites....but for shame fender, for shame.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Both Gibson and Fender fail to recognize that reputation is a competitive advantage in a consumer market. There's nothing wrong with making a lower-quality brand and competing in the entry level market. But to associate your top-end name with that level of quality does more damage than any amount of advertising can fix.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

The SSS was $200, the HSS was $240. Not sure why the price difference.

The price difference is for the HSS is a "Fat" Strat (humbucker, single coil, single coil and the SSS is a regular strat (3 single coils)...

I guess this is one time that Behringer is ahead of Gibson & Fender. At least no one expects much of them then they are surprised when it's not half bad...in this case everyone expects Gibson to be good and are disappoingted they got crap.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

...in this case everyone expects Gibson to be good and are disappoingted they got crap.

Actually, no, I don't expect or assume good quality from Gibson. Gibson's overall (statistical) quality is disproportionately low as compared to the prices on many of its instruments -- there are many good Gibson guitars, but mail ordering one is a bit of a quality crap shoot. Given G's quality issues at the high end, does it really make sense to build and sell a shoddy low end guitar? Well ... maybe the answer is "yes." If Gibson can teach newbies not to expect much and keeps 'em within the brand, it won't be too tough to meet quality expectations as those (former) newbies upgrade later. Just gotta hope they don't accidentally play one of those lower cost quality brands ... Ah, too much cynicism.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The SG designation is a "Signature" SG, according to a post I saw on the Gibson forums. Not sure about the LP.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

The price difference is for the HSS is a "Fat" Strat (humbucker, single coil, single coil and the SSS is a regular strat (3 single coils)...

Yeah, I realize the actual difference in the guitars. But how is it possible that humbucker at the bridge worth and extra forty bucks to someone looking to buy one of these? I would argue that the majority of people would have no idea at the difference, except it looks different.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4