Clear all

Quickie question about recording

24 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

In order to record to my computer I plug my amp's pre amp out to my computers sound card line in, is that correct?

(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

thats 1 way

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Yes, that will work, but the sound won't be very good, it will sound lifeless and dull.

This works great for personal progress tracking, as sound quality doesn't matter very much.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Yes, that will work, but the sound won't be very good, it will sound lifeless and dull.

This works great for personal progress tracking, as sound quality doesn't matter very much.

Why won't it sound good?

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Pre Amp to sound card line in should sound OK depending on the quality of the sound card. If you are just doing it for progress and light listening you should be fine.

The sound card in mine was trash so I bought a M-Audio USB interface and it made a world of difference.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

If you have a mic-in you can bypass the amp and plug straight into that (the sound card has pre-amps that will work). Actually this is what I did before I got my amp: guitar -> mic-in on soundcard, then line-out soundcard -> line-in on stereo -> speakers. ;) definitely a kludge but it works. Bypassing the amp is not a bad idea if you're looking to apply software effects (ie in audacity or ardour). Obviously if you want to use your amp's effects, this whole post is useless to you...

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It won't sound as good as the actual amp becuase the speaker in the amp and the power amp, to some degree, color the sound, and skipping those loses that. You also won't get the same resonance from the room that you do when you play out loud.
If you have a mic-in you can bypass the amp and plug straight into that (the sound card has pre-amps that will work).
I've found that passing through the amp's preamp first gives me a better tone since I can EQ a bit first, and helps me avoid clipping.

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

then thers the issue of card blow up...and yes i know we hav been through this many times...but that how my card died....since noone else has a had a problem it shudnt effect u....i have only ever herd of 1 other case where the card fried...

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well I tried to record to my dual mobo system and sound cards have issues in these and will lockup or blue screen. I moved my SBS back over to the dually and stuck windows back on the 2500 single processor system. Too bad the dually wouldn't work, 15000 rpm scsi drives, 3.5 gb registered memory, 2x2800 cpu's :cry:

So I hook my amp up and tried it directly. The Turtle beach Santa Cruz cards latency was so bad that when I struck a note it would take about 1 full second to be heard. I pulled the Santa Cruz out and stuck in my old trusty Philips Acoustic Edge, latency was much better but still very annoying. I went out last night and bought an E-MU 0404 digital card, it supposed to be 0 latency.

Now to the question. This thing has analog in and out for both right and left channels. Does in matter if it's left or right when recording from the pre amp out?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It should not matter. I just use the left for the heck of it. If you want to record pseudo stereo in your software then just use a splitter at the sound card to feed both channels.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nils. The documentation on this card is a little weak.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

then thers the issue of card blow up...and yes i know we hav been through this many times...but that how my card died....since noone else has a had a problem it shudnt effect u....i have only ever herd of 1 other case where the card fried...

Did the same thing, luckily it was just a cheap onboard soundcard for me. It happens when you plug the extension speaker out (cab) on the amp to the input of your card. An extension speaker signal is a line level signal, an already amplified singal. When you put that into the soundcard, the preamps in the card also amplify that signal. Basically amplifying an already amplified signal fries the card.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Now to the question. This thing has analog in and out for both right and left channels. Does in matter if it's left or right when recording from the pre amp out?

You can buy a RCA cable (1/4 inch male -to- RCA left and right males) and record in stereo. You will find the sound to be MUCH better.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Headphones on your amp to the microphone on your sound card. I've got a $50 SB Live 5.1 sounds card and there is 0 latency. However if u want to run software FX you'll get it, pretty bad indeed.

Tracker's got a good point on this one, especially if u have stereo effects on your amp or pedal like mine, panning is really cool with the way I have my speakers all over the room. Can make some really crazy sounds that scare me when I have the lights off :)

This is good enough for me, I have a number of mp3 files I've recorded that I think are rather high quality, I've never had any issues with this either, didnt even use an eq after the fact on the comp to clean anything up. However, like it has also been said here a number of time, if you really want to do recording on your computer and you've got some cash, go pick up an audio interface and you'll fall in love with it.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

The sound card is an entry level pro audio digital card and the amp is an old Peavey Bandit and has now stereo output, just a pre amp out.

Recording to a plain jane sound card will not make my bad playing sound any better :lol:

Any hook up suggestions?

Here's the manual for the amp
http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80301112.pdf

Here is the link to the card
http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=505&subcategory=491&product=10447

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2