Seagull S6 easily damaged ?

20 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
 samh
(@samh)
Topic starter  

HI,

I'm a total beginer. Currently I practice on a nylon classical but I am very keen on getting an steel string acoustic.

After reading around on the web I like the look of the Seagull S6 a lot but many of the reviews on harmony-central say that it is easily scratched due to the finish on the sound board.

To be fair other that that it's reviews are glowing.

I am probably the type of person who would feel bad every time I noticed a new scractch and be overly worried when taking it out or letting other people use it.

Would anyone who has this guitar like to comment on how it's holding up to the rigours of use ?

Cheers
Samh

(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member

No finish is perfect. I have a Yamaha FG-31, with like ten or more layers of gloss. It feels like plastic to the touch. Granted I don't take great care of it especially well (I drilled into the side near the neck to add a end pin, several times, and no it doesn't have a block there) but there are lots of scratches on it. Even when my guitar teacher dropped a tuner on it from like a foot up it made a noticeable mark in the right light. I mean you shoudl take care of your instruments, but I think any instrument will eventually have some minor damage.

If it's just cosmetic, you have to consider it more like history than a regret. Plus I doubt the Seagull will be that pathetic, it's not like you rest your fingertips on the sounboard and your nails dig in (I don't think.) Hey, even expensive frnehc-polish is actually one of the easiest to get dirty.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

What some call damage I refer to as mojo, or you can just call it personality. Most of that is pretty much cosmetic; it just depends on if you can live with a few scratches or if it'll bother you. For me, that wouldn't put me off from a Seagull at all. I'm looking forward to trying one out. I'm afraid I'll start GASing wishing I had the money for it and my first electric. At the same time.

My current Yamaha accoustic seems to be built like a tank. I've hit the headstock against the low basement ceiling, door jams, had it slide off my lap and hit a bed rail. Before I had a guitar stand it would rest against things and fall over all the time. I've dropped keys and toe nail clippers on it, too. After all that I couldn't spot any dings except one, and a few scratches you can't see unless the light hits it juuust right. And what exactly is the problem? it's tone leaves something to be desired. Not "bad", but it has it's own qualities that make it different. I'ed like to get a more conventional mellow/warmer accoustic sound out of it, it's a really bright guitar.

Eh, I probably just threadjacked. Oh well...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I have a Seagull Artist Folk, which for all intents and purposes has no finish.

Yep, it has a few dents from picks, but nothing really noticeable.

I wouldn't worry about it. The unbelievable tone for the money more than makes up for it.

ReplyQuote
(@danrobertson)
Eminent Member

I have a S6+ cedar and it does get easily scratch due to, as Nick says no finish. The fact it has no finish is supposed to help it age faster but I have heard of the soundhole started to get heavily damaged after a number of years but as long as you look after your equipment you should be fine.

Sweet tone, so who cares about scratches. After the first scratch I stop caring too much, but the first one has me severely annoyed.

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I read an interresting post on a different site that discussed the difference in satin and a gloss finish as being very little, the theory is that there basically the same until the last step. a dulling agent is added to the satin finish and the gloss finishes are buffed out, the actual thickness is not that different, although some manufacturers may use more of either. I think Cedar is just a softer wood than say spruce making it easier to ding and scratch.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Isn't cedar also a softer wood than spruce?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@todds)
Eminent Member

I've had my S6+ Cedar (which does have a high gloss finish) for a year and a half and it has only one noticeable dent in the finish. I usually leave it out of its case, play it every day, and have banged it into the corners of tables when I thought for sure it was going to leave a mark. So far it's held up great. I was worried about it too because I read all the same reviews before I bought it.

I also agree with other posters. When I first got it, I was terrified of getting a scratch. But now each scratch is just a sign of a well-loved guitar. I look forward to many more scratches in the years to come.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I bought a S6 Folk off ebay, that is 1996 vintage from the serial number. Yes, it's go dents, scratches, etc., but that adds to the character of the guitar. The sound from the cedar top is amazing.

If you're worried about appearance think of Willie Nelson - his old Martin looks like a train drove through it, but still sounds better than most guitars that are in pristine condition.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

My personal philosohpy is that guitars are meant to be played and they WILL get scratched in the process. Guitars that remain pristine after a year or two simply arent being played that much. Unless I paid $4000 for a guitar, I expect it to look weathered, loved and played. Personally I love the look of guitars with gloss finishes that have patches of finish worn off from picks and whatnot. and Willie's guitar is awesome.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Indeed.

I always think it's odd when I see a 20 year old guitar that's still really glossy... I think "Didn't that ever get played?".

"Closet Classic" is a oxymoron, the classics were played, and played often.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

^Musenfreund: Yes. cedar is softer than spruce, thats the reason it ages faster.

I have a Seagull(with a spruce top) and yes, it does scratch pretty easily but it doesnt affect the tone at all. To summon it up: yes but in most of our opinions it doesnt matter; the tone does though.(And the Seagull is great at that)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

I have a Seagull S6+cedar that I have been playing for several months now, and I can't imagine how you could play every day and not scratch your guitar. I have hit that thing so many times now, and it has one noticable dent, if light hits it just right. Sitting in front of the computer is an easy way to bang your guitar, but that's how I'm learning now. So just play it, enjoy it, and ignore the scratchs.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

All guitars get straches on them eventually. As long as you take good care of it, and don't throw it down the stairs or anything, it should hold up fine. I agree with what was earlier said, that marks and straches give in some personality, or character.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

I've got a Seagull s6 honeyburst cutaway that I've played almost every day sine I got it in 1996. There are some dings and scratches, and the satin finish has slicked where my arm and hand rests on the top. To me it always looks brand new. It was only when I was showing it to someone else a few months ago, that I "took a step back" and noticed how old and well-played it actually looks. Like Metaellihead said above, it gives the guitar mojo and people notice it when they see it.

It sounds even better than the day I bought it. I've played brand-new Martins and Taylors that don't sound as good as my 9-year-old Seagull.

Third Take a blog about home recording

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2