Clear all

So... I'm debating between a Highway 1, or American Standard

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Both maple neck of course, but what is the real difference between the two??

I read on music123.com that there is something with the tone knobs?? For the American Standard one knob controls both the middle and bridge pickup, while for the highway 1 it only controls the middle. Or something like that. I also read that the finish on highway 1's are "Nitro-Cellulose" after the basic laquer which allows the wood to be seen instead of just sealed, and that may be mumbo-jumbo though. The pickups are probably different, but if anyone owns or has played the two, are they really that much better on the American Standard??

Anyhow, they both have 22 frets, and both have a sunburst option which is a huge plus in my book. Or else.. there's ebay. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I find it hard to notice a big difference. There definitely is a different finish on the highway, it scratches more easily. Tonewise they're very, very similar. Don't forget that highways are partly produced in Mexico, the USA std 100% in the States. Some seem to care about that. I don't know how your bankaccount is doing but if you got more stuff you're after I'd get the highway, if money is no concern get the USA, even if only because you can.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you werent specific about which Highway 1. but by your discription of the pup slector it sounds like the strat.
I have a hwy1 tele and simply love ot. it is a very good all american made fender..
sure th finish is matte(which I like) and abit thin, but no problems .

arjen, I thin k you have things backwards. the Hwy1's are made in the US. and the standards are Meixcan.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

I have a friend with the Highway One, It was made in the U.S. and like Arjen says it marks very easily, The finish seems to chip off with any minor ding and he had it back to the dealer to see what was wrong the week after he bought it. The dealer said that was the nature of the beast and would either take it back for credit on another guitar or live with it. The guitar is very nice otherwise so my friend opted to keep it. Suggest if you are the anal type tp go with another fiiish if not it is a terrific axe.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It would surprise me to find that the Highway 1 has a nitro-cellulose finish - it's very expensive to put on, you need a lot of very thin coats and each coat has to be sanded before the next is applied. Fender usually reserves this for CS guitars.
The different swtching options is something that fender is really good at - they have several, depending on 3- or 5-way switch (and now, S1), MIM, MIJ, MIA, Vintage, Reissue, CS, etc.
If you want a couple of hours entertainment, go here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I don't have a lot of experience with other guitars, but I do have a honey blond Highway One strat which we got in July '05. Love the guitar, especially the feel of the neck and the contour of the body.

The finish hasn't been a problem at this point but we do have one pretty good ding in it and don't even know how/when it happened. You can see some of the wood grain through the finish. If you are going to subject the guitar to a lot of transporting or hard use, you may see wear and tear on the finish.

Have you had the opportunity to actually play both models?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The highway one is fantastic in all aspects except for:

- no case, comes with a gigbag
- finish is VERY EASILY marred. This might be a good thing. If you like guitars to look worn in and played, the Highway One will looked worn in very quickly.

For $625 or so the Highway One is an excellent value.

If I were you I'd go with that one - unless you don't like nicks and scrapes on your guitar.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Dogbite: Sorry, but I'm correct. :D

Standard = Mexico.
Highway One= USA parts, partly assembled in Mexico. (yeah, whats in a name eh?)
Highway USA Special = no clue, atleast partly USA, maybe fully USA
USA standard = USA.

Ofcourse you shouldn't forget that the Mexico and USA factories ain't that different so it shouldn't matter much for quality. You do pay far less for the labor by using the Mexico factory, which is a stonethrow from the USA border.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Dogbite: Sorry, but I'm correct. :D

Standard = Mexico.
Highway One= USA parts, partly assembled in Mexico. (yeah, whats in a name eh?)
Highway USA Special = no clue, atleast partly USA, maybe fully USA
USA standard = USA.

Ofcourse you shouldn't forget that the Mexico and USA factories ain't that different so it shouldn't matter much for quality. You do pay far less for the labor by using the Mexico factory, which is a stonethrow from the USA border.
maybe there is too much snow in the upper midwest....but I also wrote standard is mexico made.
my dealer told me Hwy 1 was all US made. he is Willie of Willies American Guitars.com he knos his business. I'll stick with that.

now to complicate things further, Fender has changed it's codess. American series is USA. American Standard used to be USA. now it is called Standard and it is Mexican made.

other than that I do agree with the proximity of the border, arts, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

To resolve this feud, I guess I was referring to the American Series, which is like $950, I think you both were right, but lost in translation, so to speak.

I do like the worn in look, I'm leaning towards highway-1, how do they compare with the standard series tone wise?? (MIM), basically, this means, should I just wait for one cheaper on ebay that is a standard MIM, or go with highway-1?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have not had a chance to play either, my local schmitt music seems to only carry strat rip offs, and one lone telecaster. Its weird.... but that's another story.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love my H1 Strat. I've had it for 3 years now and it is definitely getting better with age. A great value - highly recommended.

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone, when I make a decision, and hopefully soon, I'll be sure to post pics and all that jazz.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The MIM pickups are marginal. The H1 pups are American, but still a little thin. They are fine for that strat sound, but not thick enough (in my opinion) overall.

I have an H1 and a MIM. The H1's neck is 100000000 times nicer (both maple).

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the American Series strat is top notch. it sounds great. everything about that series is excellent.
Ive owned one. the neck and fret dressing are superb. once you wrap your hand around the neck you will feel excellent craftsmanship.
the maple neck on my American series strat was gorgeous; it had figured wod grain.
for the money it has everything you'd want.

the Hwy 1 series iis another good guitar. I have the tele.
it has all the important parts that give the tele it's character sound.
they didnt cheap out the parts.
the finish is thin. it's gorgeous too.
sure it may wear sooner. instant vibe and mojo.
the elecronics ae very good in the Hwy 1 series.
less expensive than the American top of the line series.
and you get a cool guitar.
no hard shell case. that's another area where Fender made a real American made guitar affordable.

it is counterintuitive to have a thin finish and a soft case. but if you're careful. no big deal.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2