Clear all

Starting to lose interest...Help!

20 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@mrlogs)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been taking lessons for about 8 weeks now..& every lesson is go over once what was on the last xeroxed scale sheet..can do?..OK..work on this one now...see ya next week...Would be nice to work on a simple song..I mentioned it..& was told "OK..here's a "bending" exercise..& showed me the first few notes of "Wonderful Tonight" (Clapton)..I'm getting more & more bored, disillusioned..& starting to feel it's an exercise in futility..Is this normal??..

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

While an understanding of the basics is important, most people would respond better to learning to play a song rather than just playing 'exercises'. Personally, the exercises don't bother me, and I enjoy working on getting them right. That's probably because before taking lessons I had learned to play a couple of simple songs, so I can intersperse the songs with my exercise. My instructor also works in some songs together with the lessons to keep it interesting.

You might want to take a look at the Beginner's lessons at this site. They are excellent both in the writing style and in getting you to play some songs. I'm working through them along with my instruction.

Here they are: https://www.guitarnoise.com/topics/easy-guitar-songs/

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey MrLogs,

I too am new and in my 2nd month of Lessons.. Here's what I did.

First I figured out how to read tabs.... as well as other stuff, but tabs are super easy to read and putting together some simple notes to discern anything recognizable is say, instantly gratifying at this stage of my progression.

I then went to one of the more popular "Tab" sights on the net with "ULTIMATE" <wink> libraries of songs. Also it being close the holidays, I started to poke around for some simple christmas songs. I figured since these songs are well engrained in our culture, why not. Since I'd know the timing and the way the songs supposed to be anyway.

Well I was surprised. I've found 7, yes 7 I can play, and fairly well. This new revation has sparked more interest in me to keep going and nail these perfectly. I practiced them for a few days and wha-laa.. I'm kinda proud that I had my whole Thanksgiving day party singing Silent Night to my playing. <big grin>

PM Me offline if you want the link. Keep PLAYING!! No matter what!! Practice dude.

Ciao for Now.
D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Another thought ... be sure to mention this to your instructor. He/she should have an understanding of what you want to get out of your lessons.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Try another instructor..theres plenty around I net

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Before leaving your teacher, I'd let him know whats going on. Otherwise he won't be able to improve as a teacher... If you messed up once, and he told you not to come again, it wouldn't help you much.

Dagwood, you can leave links on these forums.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You have to look at the "big picture". You can't expect to learn everything in two months.

You said you want to learn some songs? Do you know ALL the techniques that are used in the songs you want to learn?

Scales will help you start to loosen up your fingers and help you get the stretch that you need. So doing them is good. I do them as my warm-up exercises every day.

There are a lot of techniques out there….bends, slides, hammer-ons, pull-offs, vibratos and more! In order for you to become a well rounded player, you have to know how to do them.

Trust me….you WILL be doing things OVER and OVER and OVER again!

Most importantly, have fun!

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Dagwood, you can leave links on these forums.

OH OK. I didn't wanna break any 'protocol' for this board. I like it here and don't wanna get kicked.

Anyhoo.. its on the Ultimate Guitar site:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php3?ss=misc+christmas&location=bands

The Band name is "Misc Christmas" Lots of Christmas songs.

Enjoy.
Dag

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

Hi.
8 weeks huh? At this stage of lessons, you might be better off
sticking with his "lesson plan".
Remember, you went there to learn to play the guitar - not play songs
Why don't you take what you've been taught from this person and apply it to songs you already know. When i took lessons, for about the first 6 mos or so it was close to what you were doing...6 months dude...6 months.

What would be nice though is if he gave you an "example' song to learn that has techniques in it that goes along with what ever it is you happen to be learning that week.

Oh yeah, you ain't just limited to what you can through the lessons...
learn Tab and go to these websites that's been posted or google
for tabs.

Word of warning though. Don't think that every song posted is accurate
most are, some are close guesses, and some? man, i just don't know what they were thinking lol
most of these songs posted leaves out the guitar solo ....
there you can use the scale exercises in place of where the "real" solo goes.

oh and one more thing - LEARN TO UP PICK.
that is my pet peeve about guitar players...so many just totally ignore
the pick hand.

I dunno maybe I was lucky in getting the teacher I had. I got exposed
to all kinds of playing styles and techniques

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote
(@mrlogs)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well you know..I know you gotta get the basics..I'm working on it...I've been trying to learn the chords to Sunshine of Your Love (Cream)...I have the Farewell Concert video..& it look's like it's done with a DDCD barre chord..(my instructor say's he'll show me the "right way"...)..Look's like DDCD to me on the video..I'm trying to get some "music" on the side on my own..What do you do when you see the original artist play it one way (apparently)..and you're told there's a "right way"?...

ReplyQuote
(@full-fathom-five)
Eminent Member

Personally if you're told there is a "right way" but you're sure you can see Clapton doing it another way, I know which one I'd go for.

That said, I often dislike this idea that there is a "right" or "wrong" way to play anything, mainly because I don't like the idea of having to copy somebody else with no room for creativity.

Eg. The version Hendrix did of Sunshine of Your Love when Cream split.

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

hi.
I dunno... I learned it as E, E, D, E... For that one - I think.
but after you posted that, it sounds like the guy's a little
condescending...
Hmmm... you may want to check out another teacher IF that's the case.
most of the condescending ego types are really just a couple a notches better than their students - I don't care how long he's played...
you get in a rut, you can go on forever and not get anywhere.
A ego-type gets complacent, and gets the same results as the guy
in a rut does.

But you only been at it for 8 weeks, maybe he gots a plan he goes by and what you're wanting conflicts with the agenda...even though you were able
to make a pretty good guess at the chords of that God Forsaken Cream
song.

Uhh as far as that song goes, I think it's in "e" but I really just don't remember

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

There's definitely some wisdom in the phrase "teaching to play guitar, not play songs". Indeed, you shouldn't end your guitar lessons with the knowledge of how to play some songs, you should leave with the capability to play ANY song! That said, if your teacher is that hell-bent on not teaching you any songs, just ask him to suggest a few simple songs that you could look up yourself.

He should be able to think of it as a reward for your work, rather than a distraction from it.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

I guess I disagree with the earlier postings that say you need to learn to play the guitar not songs.

You need to do what you want to do - if that is just strumming along to a couple of songs over a camp fire - that is fine. If you want to become a concert guitarist then your approach is different.

Once you get hooked you will want to learn more - and there is plenty to learn.

You should be able to learn easy songs with three easy chords - it still takes time to master the chord changes - in my case almost three months..

No, generating and maintaining enthusiasm at the start is the most important.

ReplyQuote
(@rowmarcus)

Also being a beginner (have had 7 lessons so far!) and only playing for a couple of months, I'd like to say that I feel it really helps to be taught to actually play a song, rather than forced to learn scales and chords.
From the point of view of motivation and enthusiasm, not just getting the most enjoyment out of it, learning actual songs that you like is the key: and if the teacher knows what he/she is doing, then you'll also be learning about the notes, how to do hammer-on, bending etc. as well as a gaining a basic understanding of chords and fingering.
I learned piano as a kid the 'old' way - scales, arpeggios, only reading music, rather than ever learning to listen to a song and reproduce what I heard. With the guitar, I'm now trying to approach the process a little more evenly - using tabs or sheet music is just the start to learning a tune, your ears and heart should guide you ultimately.
:P

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2