Clear all

Teaching my Father to Play.

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So as the title says, I'm going to teach my dad how to play guitar. I'm real excited about it, as its a good chance to do something for him as hes taught me so much over the years. He asked me to show him a few chords last night and I did, so we're going to see where it goes.

He's got a musical stripe in him for sure, doesn't play and instrument, but can sing fairly well, dances well, is pretty rhytmic and so on. He's a huge music fan, and with my mother they have one of the greatest collections I've seen, thousands of records and cds.

He likes just about anything really, Van Morrison, Leonard Cohen, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, is whats in his cd player now, but hes big into folk/acoustic music, blues, jazz, rock, traditional and pretty much everything except rap and techno.

Anyway, I want to know the best way to go about teaching him. I only took 5 or 6 lessons about 5 years ago. He is a big fan of the way I play, mainly acoustic with alot of barre-chords and fingerpicking, but I figure that'll come later.

Besides the Easy Song Database and Chords charts and stuff what else is good for beginneers? I've only got until September, when I go back to university, so I want to help him get a good base to build from. So who wants to help me out?

Thanks,

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I would thionk that teaching him a bunch of songs would be good. it sounds like he has ears. I bet he can figure new stuff out once he has popular chords down.
songs give one a base.
forget theory and scales.
lastly, have him open an account here.
we'll take over.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Ya, let your father have 'direct' interaction here. Won't it be better for the father and son to reason out in the same thread ? :wink:

Besides the above, take a sentimental and a patient approach while teaching your dad. Explain him the basic tuning, open chords (for now), and the most common fingerings. Other areas include how to hold the guitar and the pick properly.

You are lucky to have a learning dad. Go for it, Paul.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

As an older learner I've found that progress isn't as fast as with the youngsters, so be patient. If he likes folk/acoustic, teach him to strum then get him going with a few three chord songs, G,C,D then E,A,B7 using open chords.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

What's your dad's age?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

oh. teach him that great Crosby Stills Nash song...
'Teach Your Children Well'

could not resist.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

What's your dad's age?

47 I think, 48 in Novemeber. Not really sure, I should know, but I have a hard time remember my own age sometimes.

Everybodies ideas sound good so far. I think open chords and basic strumming will be suffice for a while, I can't see teaching him theory and scales for quite some time. Just pracital stuff so he can play and sing for himself.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

You do know that makes your dad around the same age or younger than most of the regulars on here?
Get him signed up and chatting then he will realise he's nowhere near too old to learn. :D

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

You do know that makes your dad around the same age or younger than most of the regulars on here?
Get him signed up and chatting then he will realise he's nowhere near too old to learn. :D

true. I am almost old enough to be your dad's father! :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

This is so cool!

Maggie May from the Easy Songs db is a great one to work on.

Have a lot of fun with him along the way!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Start him out with some punk or heavy metal stuff...

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yep, he's at the best age to begin!!!!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I actually told him that a fair number of the regulars here are closer to his age then mine, perhaps I'll try and talk him into signing up.

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I actually told him that a fair number of the regulars here are closer to his age then mine, perhaps I'll try and talk him into signing up.

Paul

He's actually a bit young compared to some of us... but I'm sure we could fit him in! :P

I think one of the best things you could do for him is give him a good overview of the subject. It was the thing most lacking in all the books I've read, which tend to confuse a beginner by launching straight into the details. I wouldn't neglect theory and scales either. I'd give him a quick background view of what everything is about and let him decide how much to follow up. Scales are good general exercises for getting your fingers working independently and for accuracy. They're also a good base for working out melodies, having a crack at soloing etc. Not everybody want to play rhythm, so a look at all the options is worthwhile. I'd at least give him a basic major scale to work on.

It's often said that there are 3 elements to music - Melody, Harmony and Rhythm. If you're going to play you need some knowledge and skills in each department. I'm sure that NoteBoat and others could give more accurate detail than me, but I'd include an overview something like this, and let him work on the detail:

Melody:

Basic knowledge of how tunes work. How many notes in Western Music and how they apply to the neck of a guitar. Why some notes on a guitar are effectively the same, whereas others are also 'the same' but an octave apart, etc. What Keys and Scales are and how they are useful to pick smaller 'teams' to play together. In other words, show him that the neck can be a lot simpler than it looks - you only need a few notes at a time! 8)

Harmony:

Big subject, but a rough idea idea of what chords are wouldn't hurt before he starts learning a few of the basic ones.

Rhythm:

Possibly the most overlooked by self taught beginners, yet arguably the most important. It doesn't matter how many chords you know, or how well you can work your way round the neck playing solos or scales, if you've got no skills in your right hand you've still got nothing musical. Timing, expression, strumming and picking patterns, etc etc. The reason most beginners can't make a set of 'easy' chords sound like a song is that they have little or no understanding of how important the right hand is, and what you do with it and how you do it. Beginners often expect the right hand to just 'happen'. But my guess is that progress is often very slow and inefficient until you discover how to work on it, and understand how many important jobs it has.

Good luck and have fun, :D

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@micmac)

I'm a newbie here on this forum but I've been a player for more than 40 years. I hope you don't mind that I jump in here on this interesting subject.

I agree with Chris C that your Dad should get a little theory. But not TOO much. After all, this is mainly about sharing good moments with your Dad and teaching him how to play songs that he likes.

Since your Dad sings he will probably be most interested in accompanying himself. That means I/IV/V progression chords - hundreds and hundreds of songs use this progression or variations. G/C/D and C/F/G are good ones, if a little tough to learn the open C, and maybe E/A/B (the easy way).

And I would teach him the Emaj shape and Amaj shape barre chords first thing with their minors. It will take him a while to get them, maybe he never will get that serious, but if he gets excited about guitar he will learn these in a few weeks of practice.

There's nothing like grabbing a handful of strings and belting out a big tune! You don't have to be perfect to have a good time. I hope you have fun with your young old man and I'm sure we all wish him success.

Best, MicMac in Florida

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2