Clear all

Travel Guitar

19 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm taking my yearly motorcycle trip this summer and decided that I might purchase one of those travel guitars. Anyone got any suggestions?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

I love my Steinberger. Until I got my new Strat I used it as my main guitar even when not traveling.

Cost about $300, easy to take on the plane (fits in the overhead locker) and easy to carry around, quite tough too.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I need something small enough to strap on to a bike easily. Looks like the right size, but I couldn't find an accoustic on MF.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Personally, I'd go for one of these http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0310101506 and a pignose

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

If you want an acoustic would a palour sized AMI or the Martin LXM fit? Both playable There are cheaper alternatives- the martin backpacker a uke... I presume this is a fairly large bike?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Martin costs 350 $$ i think and who can be better then em ?

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Martin costs 350 $$ i think and who can be better then em ?
I've played several of martins backpackers and they all have sounded like kids toys to me. If you want an acoustic that's small go with a parlour model

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Oops, left off the 'notorious' for the backpacker, yaeh, wouldn't be my choice.
The Martin I'm talking about should be about US260 for the all laminate model, tried one the other day and it was okay for the price. They're made in Mexico, feel solid.

Squier has a cheapy, but I didn't like the one i tried YMMV.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

I bought a Crafter TRV23 Travel Guitar (they were available in a Lefty version which I need). I found some positive reviews on the internet and was able to get it for under $200 US. It comes with a padded gig bag.
I haven't had time to post a full review but briefly - it feels sturdy, is very light, sounds decent, and looks nice. The size and weight make it easy to transport (I've travelled with it in an airline's overhead compartment). The sound is good but of course not as full as a normal sized acoustic. The smaller scale length takes a little adjustment to get used to fingering chords - this is an advantage for wide stretches but a disadvantage for some chord shapes up the neck.
Overall, it fits the bill for me as a guitar that is easy to travel with. I prefer my full sized acoustic when I'm home but I'm now much more likely to bring the Crafter when I travel.

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

I have a Martin backpacker, the size is perfect but I would recommend against it, the horrible sound I can live with but they are just far too awkward to use practically.

Lee

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

My Backpacker is awaiting resurrection as a lap steel, cause it sucks any other way.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i heard the Little Martin's are nice. Tacoma makes a little guitar now, called the Caboose? not sure. ive heard good things about it but it's expensive, and i think it's tuned up to A. Baby Taylor's are pretty cool too, ive played one and liked it better than the Little Martin. Yamaha makes some cheap parlor guitars. havent played one though

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I played a Baby Taylor and really liked it. Almost bought it actually. In a gig bag I could see it faring well on a motorcycle. Strap that Baby to your back and ride away! :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Baby Taylors are nice. For something less expensive try the Art & Lutherie Ami.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Have you thought about a Lap Steel Ray? Would be a great time to learn slide

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2