Clear all

Tuner

16 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Can someone recommend a tuner for an electric guitar. I went to guitar center and they range from $15- above $100. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Greg

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Make sure you get a chromatic tuner. Messing around with tuners that only have standard tuning and a couple alternate tunings is just dumb. I like my Korg CA-20, but I'm sure there are lots of others that would be fine too.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Get a "Korg" brand tuner. They're good. I got mine for $7.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i like the korg's also, check e-bay

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i have a Boss TU80 with built in metronome.

i also have an Intellitouch...handy lil buggers.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I like a tuner I can put in my chain. A pedal is ideal but, for now I'm using the Seiko ST767 Chromatic Tuner. They don't sell them anymore at GC, btw, sorry.

Any tuner with an in and out will do. I will get a pedal in the future but man, my G.A.S. is bad right now for a Bass.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Check out Fender's PT-100. They list for $49.99 at Musiciansfriend.

I have the earlier version, the PT-10, that doesn't have the nice big LED read-out, but it's still a great little tuner.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Get a Korg tuner. The entry-level (which is fine) goes for about $15.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Actually, lots and lots of options, and the reason is that there's lots of questions to go with it.

Do you need to tune while on stage?
Do you need to tune accoustics as well as electrics?
Do you want it to sit in your signal chain?

The Boss TU-2 is a nice little stomp-box type tuner if you want it in your signal chain. But I think it's a little hard to read the thing. However, my vision is really horrible, so you may have better luck.

I have a Korg CA-30 that I use for around the house, doing lessons, and for stuffing in my bag when I want to go play at a friends house. It's lightweight, and works well enough for the money. A good general purpose tuner for sure!

I've used an Intellitouch tuners on my gypsy guitar while at a friend's house. I actually kind of like this tuner, but don't think I'd want to use it as a regular thing.

Strobe tuners are out of the $100 price range, but I highly recommend playing with one at least once in your life. It's just amusing to have a tuner that costs more than the guitar :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Whatever you get make sure it's CHROMATIC! That way it will show you every note not just those on a guitar I.E. E A D G B E

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've got 4 tuners....and every one of them was a freebie! When buying guitars, never agree on a price till the owner says "And I'll throw in a tuner, a strap, and a couple of picks...."

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

Your too lucky Vic Lewis

Anways, I've got a korg tuner I bought it at a Cd store so of course the price was more than what I would've paid for at picks n' sticks... It was like $14.75 or something, it's a pretty good tuner..For once, I'm not going to complaining! (or the dang thing will go out or sumthin'!)

:)

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I have two digital tuners :
The Korg GA-30 and the Cherub WST-550 Guitar Mate
http://store.musicbasics.com/t-wst-550g.html

The Cherub Guitar Mate is very easy to use and you can use it in a dark and noisy room as it is based on a contact microphone and has a LED display. It works good on acoustic and electric guitars.

But sometimes when you want to check intonation at the 12 fret, the Korg GA-30 works much better.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Another vote for the Fender PT-100. I like having it in my chain. Makes it quick to tune up.

I've also got a Korg tuner that I use primarily for my acoustic. It's a great tuner as well and cheap.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I've also got one 'o them 'lil Korg GA-30 units.

It's cheap, and it does the job. What more can you ask for?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2