What do you guys think............

23 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Alright, I want to trade in my American Strat (04 I think) for the Marshall Mini Stack and the Schecter C-1 Elite (???).

I don't think it will be a straight up trade, although it should be. Do you guys/gals think it would be? This will be the first time I've ever tryied trading something in. Nick, you out there??? Any tips you could provide me with?

I bought my strat for @1500 (or less can't remember) and the total of the 2 items I want is @ 800 (300 for the mini stack and 500-600 for the Schecter). So basically, I plan on taking a hit on this but, I don't want to have to come up with any more money.

Worth it?

I'll give more info later if need be, I'm at work right now. Gotta go.............

Thanks,
Mike

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Just an FYI - you can probably sell a Standard American Strat (w/ a case) on Ebay for around $650. At least that is the average price I see on Ebay and I buy and sell Strats all the time. You could get lucky and get $700 from someone who really likes your guitar or you could get only about $575. Is it a higher end model? Deluxes sell for about $800, in good condition. And remember, there are fees to sell on Ebay.

What are they offering for you to trade it in?

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Dude, you bought an American Strat for $1500?? A standard strat or custom shop? Standard - even Deluxe - Strats retail for $1200 or less.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I can't remember the exact price, but I only paid just over a 1000. The list price was $1500 (IIRC)

and yes, it is the Deluxe with S-1.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Alright, my bad! :oops: I'm home now with the info. It was my Taylor 310CE that was listed at $1500 new.

The Strat (Deluxe) was $1100 new but I talked them down plus got a lot of things thrown in for free, so it equaled out to be a killer deal for me.

So, with that said....... Would it be worth trying to do this? For the record, I'm not one of those people that thinks I'll get "top dollar" for my stuff. I know they will try to give me next to nothing for it but, it's worth a shot. The "list" prices for the two items equals to $800, but I plan on talking them down on that. I figure I can get atleast a $100 knocked off. I don't think they will look at my Strat as $700 because they won't make any money re-selling it. Like I said, it's worth a shot........

I plan on going tonight (a couple of hours), so if anyone thinks I'll be losing more than I'm gaining or has some tips please speak up.

Thanks and er.... sorry for the bad memory! :oops:
Mike

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Just remember that whatever the list price is for the guitar, retailers usually pay around 60% of that...So if it lists for 1100, they probably payed around 600-700 bucks for it. It'll be hard getting the right price.

I'd suggest checking out ebay, and then seeing how much you can get, versus how much they'll give you.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well............. I couldn't do it!

I went to GC and Keith said he could only give me $600 for it. I told him I'd think about while I was slammin' power chords on the Schecter Elite thru the Marshall Mini-stack.

I went to Daddies to see what they could do. He looked at it and said it was in VERY good to Excellent condition, sooooo how much? He made a phone call and said with shock in his eyes...... $525 :shock: Ummmmmmmmm no thank you. The guy was saying how bad the Strats are becoming as far as re-selling them. Which I can understand, there are a lot of different makers out there now.

Sooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! I went back to GC with my strat in hand........... got to the door.............. and turned around. Put the strat back in the Envoy and went back in the store. I told Keith I couldn't part with the Strat. He said he couldn't blame me that it's a sweet strat.

Ummm yeah, the stories not over. :lol:

I couldn't part with the strat and I couldn't walk out of GC without SOMETHING :shock: (I have a problem :roll: ). So, I am the proud owner of the Marshall Mini-Stack. :D This things kicks ---! :twisted: It might be only 15 watts, but it's 15 watts of pure hell!!!! :twisted:

Am I gonna have some fun this weekend! WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dog is sniffing the Marshall now and looked at me as if to say, "Not another one!" :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@marshallscottw)
Estimable Member

Hello,
Ok, just so I got my facts straight.
Here's your trade:
Yours - 2004 American Straticastor. You say that you about $1,500.00 or less.
--Now we all know that a good ole american start is an awesome instrument. You can get those glassy sounding cleans, and those down right dirty distortions. Or you could set your pick-up selections switch to your neck pickup and thump, pick, finger or hybrid pick out some bluesy, jazzy or folk song sounding music.

And your traders:
Schetcher S1 Elite and a Marshall mini-stack.
On the Schetcher, this is my opinion:
First, with your Fender guitar.. hell, let's just say anything Fender product. The sound when in clean tone is brilliant. I play metal, classic and some 'rocknroll' and have always hated the clean settings on my 5150 Half stack, and also hate my guitars neck, and center pickups(i use these pickups for my clean tones to give my music a cleaner, softer, more warm tone and feeling) But I also own a Fender Stage 100, and like I said, with any Fender product, the clean sound is brilliant, yet it lacks when distortion peaks its head around the corner.

The Schetcher S1 Elite is a beautiful guitar. It's made for any type of guitarists, though I'm sure those who mainly purchase it are wanting it for it's soloing abilities. Anyway, here are the specs on this guitar
Construction: Set-Neck w/ Ultra Access

Body: Mahogany

Neck: 3pc Mahogany

Fingerboard: Rosewood

Frets: 24 Jumbo

Scale: 25 1/2 in.

Inlays: Single Diamond at 12th

Bridge: TonePros w/ Thru Body

Binding: Abalone

Tuners: Grover

Pickups: Duncan Designed HB-102

Electronics: Vol / Tone / 3-way

Finishes: Vintage White w/ Chrome Hardware

As you can see, it's basically 'ready to go' electronically wise.

Now for the Marshall Mini-stack... (Let me remind everyone that these are all my opinions base on experience with each instrument or amp)

The Marshall Mini-stack guitar amp was by far one of the most dissappointing, unsatisfying amps I've ever played on.
I'll use simile to give you the full grasp of it.
Ok, to me, playing on a Marshall mini-stack was like playing in a 10watt head, with 2 6" speakers. There are no real extremes in HI's and LOW's. It's just like plugging into your first 30watt practice amp.
People will disagree with me, but you know how it is.
Anyway,
Guitar wise, I think it's a good deal, but he would have to offer you more than just his guitar for yours, so he adds the Amp, before you decided though, do you have another amp? a good one? Would you even use the Marshall mini?

Those are just things to keep in mind. Maybe you can get the guy to change out the amp for something better, but in the same price range. And hey, if you like the amp. Then awesome.

All in all, if you're just asking if you trading yours for his is a good or bad idea then I think it's a good one. It's money-wise acceptable. But just make sure that you getting your money's worth in the trade isn't just what you're concerned with.
Try the guitar out, see if you like it
Try the amp out.. see if you like it.
If you do, then you have yourself a fair trade.

"You're a God among insects. Never let anyone tell you differenately." -Magneto, XMen

ReplyQuote
(@marshallscottw)
Estimable Member

CRAP!! Sorry guys, I have no idea why my message got posted twice. I had a internet glitch or something happen. I was told to reload the page to fix it.

Moderator comment

No probs - I deleted the second post - Alan :-)

"You're a God among insects. Never let anyone tell you differenately." -Magneto, XMen

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The strat was going to be a "trade-in" for the Schecter and the Mini-stack at Guitar Center. I couldn't let go of my strat and I'll wait on another Schecter. And I messed up on the price, if you go back a couple of posts I listed what it really was.

Also, to answer some of your questions.

I have the Fender HRD and a Schecter already. I want a black Schecter for when I play out. The trans-blue one with the inlays I have already is just too fancy for playing out. :? Hey, I never said I was normal! :wink:

I ended up just getting the Mini-stack. Not because I'm going on tour. :lol: But because I wanted a SS with some crunch for recordings and for practice. I can wait for another Schecter for now.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

first of all, that's a beautiful guitar. i'd play it anywhere i could, but that's just me.
ok, there's no way i'd trade that strat in. first of all, it's a strat. it's as distinct as guitars get. at some point in the future, you're gonna want the strat sound for something. believe me. second, you already have that schecter, and i already said what i think about it. third, a micro stack is a gift for a kid who doesn't know better, not a real amp. so you were planning on trading in a perfectly good american fender strat for a backup guitar and a practice amp. i wouldn't do it. no way. unless i'm missing something here.

also, nothing you can do about it now, but 1000 is at least 200 too much for a new strat.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It's not the Micro. It's the Mini- a head plus 2 - 10's at 15 watts.
so you were planning on trading in a perfectly good american fender strat for a backup guitar and a practice amp.

Well, the strat hasn't been getting played much because of my love for the Schecter. When I was walking back into GC with my strat I said to myself, "this is gonna be one of those things that you are gonna kick yourself for doing". I was literally at the door at GC when I turned around and put the strat back in my truck.

Where were you earlier????? I could have used a good slap! :lol:

But really though, I don't want a ton of guitars and I still plan on getting another Schecter. I like them THAT much!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I still plan on getting another Schecter. I like them THAT much!

Psst... You already know this but I am a Schecter feind myself. MMmmMM I love looking at them.. but I love playing them more. Still I agree and am glad you didnt get rid of the strat.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Mike - you made the right move. The MIA Strats with the S-1 switching are very nice guitars. I think the Schecter's are decent, but I think it would have been a step down for you.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I want the Classic White Schecter Tempest Custom. It looks great, but have not had the opportunity to play that particular model at a local shoppe. GC is the only one in town that has any Schecter's and they usually only have the standard C-1 in stock.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2