Clear all

Where do *you* put your pinkie ?

16 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So, Where do you put your right hand pinkie when you are picking ?

I put my pinkie a bit behind the hole so as to anchor myself ( or my hand ). Its not always behind the hole, but its always at the same distance and angle depending on where I place my hand. When I strum though I don't put my pinkie there because the movement comes from the elbow when strumming and from the wrist when picking.

I don't know, this is the "norm" for me but idk what kind of stuff you guys do so tell me.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@samer)
Eminent Member

I make a fist with my right hand, i find it the easiest way to play the fastest; i had to change my picking style when i joined a band that played rhythm guitar twice as fast as i was used too, that was a technique that helped me speed up.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I don't anchor either - just float my hand over the strings. It's faster, you get less tension, you have more dynamic control, and you can add other techniques (like right hand tapping or artificial harmonics) more easily.

It does take more practice, but I figure the benefits are worth it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I float, it's just easier for me.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

I have only recently started exploring finger picking. I have to go with floating the hand. I have tried both ways and have to agree with Noteboat, in that I feel less tension in my hand which makes me faster and more fluid. I do tend to rest my forearm a little more on the top of the guitar body when finger picking.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I am a floater. my hand lands to damp or mute.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

When I strum though I don't put my pinkie there because the movement comes from the elbow when strumming and from the wrist when picking.

The movement should always come from the wrist.

If you are using your elbow for your strumming you will tire quickly and wont be able to play as long without great upper arm endurance.

With finger picking, i find myself sometimes anchored and sometimes not. I dont know why. But using the tecnique where each finger has a coresponding string. The thumb for the bass note and the three bass strings on the guitar (E,A,D) then index for the G, middle for the B and ring for the E then the little finger has no use. I find i play cleaner and can play faster without anchoring the little finger, but my aim on the strings is better if i anchor, i'm less likley to plck the wrong string.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Mine spends a lot of time curled around the wobble stick (er, vibrato, tremolo, whammy bar, etc)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

If I'm singing and playing lead lines, I generally rest it on the bottom of the bridge pickup. If I'm not singing, I let it float.

Right or wrong? I don't know but it feels comfortable to me that way.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Sometimes on the lower edge of the bridge PU.

Sometimes floating. Always floating in songs when I use the whammy a lot. Always anchored when I sing.

Singing and using the whammy bar is not an option.

Absolutely no decisionmaking tied to this- just what seems to happen.

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I always have mine floating. In my Classical Guitar work I regularly need it to play flamenco rasgueados and it's no good having it anchored somewhere when I need it to strum chords.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I put mine just here...

:lol:

Sorry, I've been trying to resist doing this all day...

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Ever see the Spongebob episode where he and Patrick were drinking tea in Sandy Cheek's bubble dome??? That's how I dos it! :lol:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@dbrownlee)
Eminent Member

Mine spends a lot of time curled around the wobble stick (er, vibrato, tremolo, whammy bar, etc) My little nephew calls it the "wedgie" bar when he's playing guitar hero. :D

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I don't anchor either - just float my hand over the strings. It's faster, you get less tension, you have more dynamic control, and you can add other techniques (like right hand tapping or artificial harmonics) more easily.

It does take more practice, but I figure the benefits are worth it.

What he said ^^^
Although, I am finding I can only tap double-stops if I anchor the palm of my hand on the body of the guitar. Otherwise, I'm guaranteed to miss a string or catch one when pulling off from the tap. Anchoring is the only thing I've found that helps with that.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2